NoiES for Switch (NES Emu)

NoiES for Switch

I present to you my own original NES emulator for the Switch, NoiES! This entire emulator was written from scratch by me. I started this project just to teach myself about how emulators are made so that I can work on larger projects in the future, but it went farther than I originally expected and is now pretty much a full-fledged emulator, apart from some minor inaccuracies and some missing mappers.

But there are already other NES emulators for the Switch, why use this one?
Well, no reason in particular. As I said before, this was more a learning experience for me, but I ported it to the Switch for the homebrew bounty and I might as well release it. I suppose the biggest advantage I can offer is that since I developed the entire emulator core myself I am very familiar with it and can easily dive in to fix bugs and add new features.

Minor inaccuracies?
Yes, well, aside from the missing mappers, it's mainly the audio stuff that needs work done. Most importantly the DMC audio channel, which isn't implemented at all. There are also a few minor inaccuracies in other places that shouldn't affect most things.

Mappers?
Right. Every ROM has a mapper; it's basically what loads different portions of the ROM memory into the CPU memory for execution. I've implemented the most popular mappers as well as a few others, which should cover a large portion of the NES library. If you have any particular games you want to play that aren't supported, tell me the mapper number (the emulator will tell you which one it is if it isn't supported) so I can place higher priority on implementing it.

Screenshots
2019050519035900-39044917CFF4239A6A8855A4FBFD24A3.jpg 2019050519040400-39044917CFF4239A6A8855A4FBFD24A3.jpg 2019050519043500-39044917CFF4239A6A8855A4FBFD24A3.jpg 2019040117475600-39044917CFF4239A6A8855A4FBFD24A3.jpg 2019040117495500-39044917CFF4239A6A8855A4FBFD24A3.jpg 2019040117523000-39044917CFF4239A6A8855A4FBFD24A3.jpg 2019040117541800-39044917CFF4239A6A8855A4FBFD24A3.jpg 2019040117574000-39044917CFF4239A6A8855A4FBFD24A3.jpg 2019040716355600-39044917CFF4239A6A8855A4FBFD24A3.jpg2019050519045800-39044917CFF4239A6A8855A4FBFD24A3.jpg

Downloads
If you're interested, you can find downloads on GitHub and on the GBAtemp download center. Source code is also available on GitHub, as well as a Linux build if you're into that. Hopefully someone finds some use for this, I at least learned a lot from making it!

Last edited by Hydr8gon,

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Have you maybe thought about adding thumbnail support in the future?
I think it would look pretty dope.

Wow, I really like that mockup! Definitely will be considering something like this in the future. First I'll be working on adding the remaining mappers and making the sound less crackly tho :P

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
That looks very nice!
I hope you try more Emulators for other systems
I'd certainly like to! I'm pretty fond of the SNES, so I was thinking about trying that. Shouldn't be too hard after doing this. Something I'd really like to do though is an N64 emulator; one that isn't based on a crappy plugin system with different plugins giving different compatibilities and such. Oh, and of course I'd love to help out with melonDS (or make my own DS emulator?). Either way, there's still work to be done on NoiES, if there's interest for it. I do enjoy making this stuff, it's super interesting!

Reactions: -Pao and peteruk

Working_Goose

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Austria
I'd certainly like to! I'm pretty fond of the SNES, so I was thinking about trying that. Shouldn't be too hard after doing this. Something I'd really like to do though is an N64 emulator; one that isn't based on a crappy plugin system with different plugins giving different compatibilities and such. Oh, and of course I'd love to help out with melonDS (or make my own DS emulator?). Either way, there's still work to be done on NoiES, if there's interest for it. I do enjoy making this stuff, it's super interesting!

sounds great.
And like Hallo23 says, Thumbnails for the Games would be a great idea.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice job!

It's interesting to finally see an emulator that isn't a port of any existing ones on the Switch.

Have you considered getting in touch w/ the RetroArch guys to see if you can get it to be a core at some point? That way you can focus on trying to get it to be accurate instead of being stuck fielding requests about the loading the ROM part of things (what thumbnails are).

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Nice job!

It's interesting to finally see an emulator that isn't a port of any existing ones on the Switch.

Have you considered getting in touch w/ the RetroArch guys to see if you can get it to be a core at some point? That way you can focus on trying to get it to be accurate instead of being stuck fielding requests about the loading the ROM part of things (what thumbnails are).
Lol, I'm sure RetroArch has enough NES emulators already. I prefer standalone emulators anyways, that way the UI can be more tailored to the actual emulator it's for. Of course there isn't much of that going on right now, but maybe after the rest of the core bugs have been ironed out I can whip something fun up. The remaining accuracy issues shouldn't be too big of a deal anyways, I've come this far after all!

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you maybe thought about adding thumbnail support in the future?
I think it would look pretty dope.

That's what I told the developer about it. He said if more people asked for it then he would make one.

Is this an April Fools or?

No, it was always there before an April's fool day. Now, he just update another released one yesterday. Yes, it's working. Not an April's Fool Day.

Nice job!

Some people prefer standalone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Dark_Phoras @ Dark_Phoras:
    The younger generation uses mostly TikTok and YouTube, some Instagram. It seems like they don't care so much about social profiles.
    Gift
  • KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName:
    I just keep it for worthless friends and families that don't do nothing
    Gift
    I have no idea what's happening with all my friends from other places
    Gift
    It's weird people in their mid 50s-20s seems to like social media more than TikTok and YouTube
    Gift
    Unless they get paid to upload videos
    Gift
    I used TikTok a couple of days and got tired
    Gift
    But it's still better than Facebook
    Gift
    One dude here swore I was trolling him on twitch and I never even used it
    Gift
    But that's a thing with social media; it creates an illusion of proximity, when in truth everyone is overwhelmed with all the information and all the social demands in the platforms
    Gift
    And a lot of people are addicted to the phone, checking social media or talking with someone. Some exercise in the gym while being glued to the phone, not even activity takes them away from it
    Gift
    And I was like that too, until I left social media. Now sometimes I'm grabbing my phone, opening the browser and thinking: I've seen everything I wanted to see, I don't have a reason to use the phone. And I put it down
    Gift
    I'd rather look at my phone than sit at a computer 24/7
    Gift
    Funnily when I'm out I hardly use my phone other than checking a message here and there
    Gift
    I'm mostly too busy making sure my neighbor doesn't get himself arrested
    Gift
    This evening two guys were speeding head first into my car in these:
    bolt-announces-a-custom-built-scooter-model-2-1024x536.jpg
    Gift
    I didn't make case, I made my manoeuver to park the car. But I caught them off-guard, the one ahead hit the brakes and had to jump from the scooter. For a second I thought he would go against the car. They were trying to race through a gap they perceived, thinking I was going to always drive forward
    Gift
    I guess they learned a valuable lesson, don't assume that real roads are a playground
    Gift
    I had a woman walk in the middle of the intersection once I was debating on flooring it
    Gift
    In those cases I honk
    Gift
    I need to get my uncle to install a cow horn
    Gift
    Those scooters go 40km/h, and the kids were riding them with no helmets
    Gift
    And trying to make for the gap like they're Millennium Falcon
    Gift
    Annoying can't find any type c to usb adapters in my place at least they're like $3
    Gift
    Sweet found one installing emudeck
    Gift
    Lol stupid ips is blocking rom sites time for a vpn
    Gift
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: Lol stupid ips is blocking rom sites time for a vpn