No Sound in Flashplayer (64-bit Ubuntu)

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Wolvenreign, Dec 2, 2010.

Dec 2, 2010
  1. Wolvenreign
    OP

Member Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

United States
    Hey all.

Well, I can't seem to get sound in Flashplayer for Google Chrome, Firefox, or Opera. I've tried numerous fixes, including installing (and running) Flash-Aid, reinstalling flash, etc. (I have tried both 32-bit flash and 64-bit flash.) The video runs but the sound doesn't.

Here's the current information on my Flashplayer:

Code:
    Shockwave Flash

ÂÂÂÂFile: /var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
    ÂÂÂÂVersion: 
    ÂÂÂÂShockwave Flash 10.1 r102

MIME Type ÂÂÂÂDescription ÂÂÂÂSuffixes ÂÂÂÂEnabled
    application/x-shockwave-flash ÂÂÂÂShockwave Flash ÂÂÂÂswf ÂÂÂÂYes
    application/futuresplash ÂÂÂÂFutureSplash Player ÂÂÂÂspl ÂÂÂÂYes
    I'm running a 64-bit system. I lurked the forums for fixes, but nothing has worked so far.

Thanks in advance!

2. Matthew

Member Matthew GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    When did the sound stop working and what did you do?

3. Wolvenreign
    OP

United States
    The sound in flash stopped working when I was tweaking stuff to get MKVs and MP4s playable. (Sad to say, I can't remember what it was I did to make it work...)

Now after trying to fix it....all this happened. Now my sound is thoroughly broken.

Does anyone have a copy of their asound.conf I can use? One that will allow mkvs, mp4s, etc to work while also having flashplayer functional? It's a 64 bit system.

4. Wolvenreign
    OP

United States
    Weird. Xine and games work, but nothing else does.

5. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Are you using flash for a specific reason or have you tried out HTML5 with a recent version of a major browser (e.g FF4)?

Flash has generally always had a tendency to be troublesome and inferior to Windows/OSX performance-wise on Linux, especially on 64-bit, and if you aren't using flash for a specific reason (i.e you want to browse websites that require flash) you can simply sidestep your problems with HTML5.

6. gumgod

Member gumgod GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is not really a solution for him though. I'm using chrome in a 64 bit Ubuntu install with sound and no issues. Flash is built into Chrome and it just works. It is a bit slower on flash games than it is in Windows on the same machine and I did have an issue with Flash video not switching to full screen after upgrading to 10.10, but I found a simple fix for that somewhere... I haven't tried playing mkv files though, but I bet VLC would play them just fine. I would suggest uninstalling and re-installing chrome and/or flash and then try your mkv/mp4 through VLC.