No Sound from DS lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ChrisRX, Sep 7, 2008.

Sep 7, 2008

No Sound from DS lite by ChrisRX at 3:07 PM (2,113 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. ChrisRX
    OP

Member ChrisRX GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    My DS lite has practically no sound coming from it, you can only just about hear it if you stick your ear right up against the speaker. The same happens when you plug in headphones, the headphones are very quiet, almost silent.

I've opened the DS up and had a look at it but I can't see anything wrong with it. I could take a multimeter and check every component, but with no reference I wouldn't know where to start.

There seems to be absolutely no mention of this problem by anyone else on the net so I don't know what to do.

I have experience repairing DSs before so a bit of soldering is no worry to me.

If someone knows how to fix this, knows someone who knows how to fix it or at least has an idea of where to look on the mainboard (I think the sound chip is under the ds slot but I don't know) that would be very helpful.

2. mad567

Member mad567 D. Gregar

Greece
    I had the same problem with my GBC............Maybe if you take it to a service shop they could fix that it's not a heavy damage so it might be a low price fix [​IMG]

3. ChrisRX
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well as I said I have experience repairing DSs myself so it shouldn't need to go to a shop. And if no-one on the internet knows how to repair it then I doubt they would know at a shop either.

4. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    do u still have your nintendo warranty? if so ship it to them, and just get another one.

5. Rykin

Member Rykin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Check the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the top screen- that's where the speakers draw their power/signal from. My friend had a DS in which this cable wore down and eventually cut off the sound to his DS.

6. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    the cable got worn down? huh?

7. ChrisRX
    OP

United Kingdom
    It's not the ribbon cable as it also affects the volume of the headphones