No Intros?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by JItters333, Oct 28, 2008.

Oct 28, 2008

No Intros? by JItters333 at 6:18 AM (3,069 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. JItters333
    OP

Newcomer JItters333 Member

United States

2. aerowalk

Member aerowalk GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    u know that sometimes releaser group hack the game, and made additional intro promoting themselves..
    coughmode7cough
    these no-intro sites dedicated themselves to create patch that will remove those intro

edit: and supply dat list so that u can check the proper 'no-intro' game crc

3. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    That ... I ... no. None of these things.

No-Intro simply release DAT files with the checksums of clean ROMs, as opposed to ROMs as they are released by the scene, sometimes (particularly on the GBA) with intros hacked in.

4. kazumi213

Member kazumi213 GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    No-Intro builds and maintain DAT files for clrmamepro and RomCenter ROM managers. DAT file for a given system, when run through a supported ROM manager, allows you to audit/check your own ROM collection status (completion, ROM naming). This is performed by hash comparison (CRC-32, MD5, SHA-1) of your ROMs against hashes listed on DAT file.

No-Intro DAT for a given system only list hashes for ROMs which match as close as technically possible the contents from original media used by the system. All hacked/unofficial stuff is sistematically removed/corrected from DAT as soon as detected.

No-Intro DAT also allow you to rename your ROMs by featuring a consistent naming convention. Accurate and consistent ROM naming is second priority in No-Intro DATs (after listing the best ROM dumps). ROM naming is constantly revised.

DAT-o-MATIC (DoM) allow you to download customized DATs for the currently supported systems, and DATs in latest Logiqx's XML format which contain Parent-Clone information for the systems. These Parent-Clone DATs allow you to create a so-called 1G1R (one game, one ROM) collection form your current one. If you prefer USA ROMs, then EUR ones, then JPN, a list containing USA releases, then the EUR without USA releases and finally the JPN ones without USA or EUR releases will be created for you. All regions with releases in a given system are supported (i.e you could prefer Spain > EUR > USA > Italy > Japan...). DoM also offers GoodMerge XMDB files for the supported systems.

5. gukid

Newcomer gukid Advanced Member

Canada
    Still a cool app, but not exactly what "we're" looking for.

Just loaded up "Tornado". That game could DEFINITELY use an "intro trim".

6. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    I don't understand why some people are so damn impatient, and refuse to wait 15 seconds.

7. kjean

Member kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    Objection!
    I don't understand why some games are so damn long intro in it, and got no skip function.

You don't have to understand. People like me 15 sec is damn too long. Look at those Soma Bringer game it's quick and awesome.

8. gukid

Canada
    I always use the example of Final Fantasy 2 on SNES. Turn it on, title screen.

Think about all the 15 second long intros you've been forced to watch over and over in your life. It does add up. You've probably spent hours or even days of your life, watching the intros for games. Especially if you played a lot of PS1...

9. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Sometimes I like Games with intros, but they must have a way to cut them (like FF XI RW). By example, I started to play .Hack//GU Rebirth in my PS2 ant he intro took about 30 minutes!!, also, it can't be cut to the game.

10. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    15 seconds? Hell...

I've been contemplating a rom hack for the english text into the japanese rom of Castlevania OoE because I get fricken tired of the extra 3 second useless ESRB disclaimer.

Intro skip should be mandatory for cheat capable cards.

11. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Umh, I think we have a little misunderstanding on the term "intro" here. We're not talking about game intros, we're talking about "intros", or little demos, added by scene groups. These are usually skipable by pressing a button, so no big deal. It's usually just anal ROM collectors (= No-Intro guys) that want a "pure", unaltered ROM Image who are opposed to this.

12. gukid

Canada
    But what we want to remove, is ALL intros. Anything that comes before the title screen that isn't gameplay, should be removed. Start game, maybe game company screen (skipable) and then title screen. That should be the limit.

13. kjean

Korea, South
    Omg. You're right.

TOPIC
    JItters333: What is this? Is this skip company logo thingy?
    aerowalk: nah.
    Vague Rant: nope.
    kazumi213: not really.

OFF TOPIC
    gukid: but we need that!
    Ferrariman: impatient brats!!!
    kjean: you can call me that.
    gukid: but i don't like it!
    sadak5: same here!
    Porkdish: oh yes!

BACK TO TOPIC
    enarky: uh guys?

OFF TOPIC AGAIN
    gukid: but, but...

No offence guys. xD

14. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    no, usually the intro is changed rather than added.
    like for instance, this:
    [​IMG]

but this can also work:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    look at the bottom most text

15. kjean

Korea, South
    I'm sorry but that's not it. Intro we're talking about is mostly ASM coded and implemented or added in rom, and it is introducing pirate dump/release group or personel of roms. Your nice rom hacking is slightly different.

16. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    No that's not the point i'm trying to say.

MOST of the people that put their names on the ROM usually did NOT make an ADDITIONAL intro.
    Including each and one of the korean gba rom hacks out there, NONE of them had additional intros, mostly just a change.

17. kjean

Korea, South
    The hack that he mentioned and your hack is different. They are not just altering logo and copyright blah thingy. They put some little asm coded program in rom before you proceed to real game. That's additional. I roughly guess you never saw that thing before.

Here's some similar things, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_intro

18. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    rr you don't get what I'm trying to say.
    I've seen many assembly hacks before, and this isn't something i've never seen before.
    I'm just trying to state that not much people would actually add in an additional logo and add their name on it.

19. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I think the op means stuff like the mode 7 intro for monsters inc and stuff.

20. aerowalk

Member aerowalk GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    just to clear up some statements
    those hacker (releaser) that i mean are not those ones that did 'hacking/translating/creating trainer' for the game (eg. noitora, you, tomato from bahamut lagoon, dejap, etc)
    -> i'm cool with these

the one i mean = u know those releaser group back in early gba scene that loves to put additional intro saying that they 'released' the game (eg. mode7, eurasia, etc) -> they are annoying

i'll find one for example.. brb

EDIT: Here they are, 6 of em
    [​IMG]

and that's what 'no-intro' is used for (by using their dat so that u can check whether u got unaltered rom (pure) or check if you have properly removed those intro)
    :yaygba: