Hacking No-flashcart-hacking for 3ds?

Ghork

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wouldn't it be awesome with homebrew and hacking available for the 3DS without using a flashcart? Like with the twilight save hack for the wii.
I had my wii at least for a year before I noticed you could do that with it (and before I found gbatemp). I found it after I updated my wii and my regionfree-thingy disc stopped working.
Hacking hadn't gone that far but now it's awesome with the homebrewchannel and the possibility to load your games (with less loading time) from usb.

The 3DS is pretty similar to the wii with it's menu and SD card. Shouldn't something similar to the twilight save hack be possible for the 3DS? We have SD cards and the 3DS loads things of it... sooo...
I haven't got myself a 3DS yet but I really want it.

Assuming that it is possible and will be done...
How long do you think it will take before some hack/exploit like that appears? Are there people trying now? and how long do you think it will take until the hacking reaches about as far as the wii hacking has gone now?

tajio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To answer some of your questions:
1. Yes there are people trying.
2. How long will it take? How long did it take for the DSi to be hacked partially? A LONG TIME!
3. Just forget about 3DS hacking and then one day it'll be hacked fully.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given the choice, i would choose Flash cards over a Custom Firmware. Flash cards allow you to not worry to much about system updates because they are independent of it. The CFW thing, i did with the PSP and i always had to worry which firmware ran what game if i bought the hard copy. Yes, CFW would spare us from buying the hardware, but the money from the flash cards make the people who are working on the exploits to work faster and harder for the updates. The PSP homebrew community wound up depending why too much on Dark Alex.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah ferret nailed ,it,i totally agree with him 100%,id rather pay 100 or even 150 for a flashcart than have a free hack through the sd card slot any day , screw that cfw BS ,then we will be worryiing about updates all the time and not being abe to go online ,just like the ps3 scene ,it sucks ,no thanks

and to donelwero ,your an idiot if you think that flashcards or piracy will "ruin" the console ,that BS corporate propaganda ,it dont matter if it is or isnt you really think these 3rd party developers arent going to flood the mariet with theor $h!t shovelware, why wouldnt they,every console ever made so far has allowed piracy ,so i guess you thinkk that all consoles were ruined and that all games suck ,so why do you bother even bing a gamer then?ps games have been piratied since the begining fo time but i dont see developers stoping making good games for the pc ,your argument makes $h1tall sense ,these developers dont make this crap cause of piracy they make it cause their greedy lazy bastards and they know some 4 year will beg their parents non stop and wont shut up until they buy them miley cyrus or justin beiber whatever or some lame movie port ,they know they can make tons of money peddling garbage to children and get away with it ,thats why they do it ,you dont see nintendo doing it , nintendo puts out only quality titles but it only puts out a scant few of those titles for every hardware iteration ,cause they want you to buy new hardware and they are perfectionist and always delay delay delay the good titles and they are also cheap bastards ,wii has been out for 6 years and we still have not even 1 zelda game for it and the one in development looks like $h1t graphic wise ,WW and TP have much better graphics and graphic styles than SS,it looks as if it could run easily on the cube,and is generic looking,we should have had 2 zelda games designed for the console by now ,at least we did get 2 mario games and a paper mario though,but i still say ninty doesnt spend enough on development ,and they hand out licences like cracker jack prizes, when nes first came out they were really strict for a few years,now they just dont care ,only about profits i guess,then they contract out huge titles to incompetent developers and dont have enough say and oversight ,case in point ,other m,could have been so much better ,ive been waiting for a 3d 3rd person metroid game since the n64,we finally get one and it has this awkward control scheme and no analog control , you think to get your missles and life back instead of collecting it,lame,and you have all your weapons and power up items but cant use them ,even more lame,the whole fun of that game franchise is going and searching for things like bombs and high jump boots and suits to get into areas you couldnt before and to get stuff like screw attack,but they ruined it by giving you all your weapons from the begining,lame lame lame
i liked prime but was really dissapointed when i found out it was 1st person,ok mega rant over ,the point is that shovelware is inevitable ,especially on ds because it is mostly marketed to kids

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id rather have both ....cfw for the exploits and customization and flash cards for the extra hardware and expansion potential (an extra sd slot)

DiNo29

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
You guys are confused.
The only reason you didn't have to worry about firmware updates with your DS and flashcart was because there was no firmware update at all.
An update could as easily stop your flashcart from working as stop a software hack from working. It'd probably be even easier to stop flashcarts.
I can't see any pro to the flashcart method over software hack.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The fact that the menus on the 3DS are similar to the Wii does not at all help with finding an exploit. Keep your expectations as low as possible. It's unlikely that we'll see something of any use for a long time, if at all.

Off Topic: Flashcarts did not kill the 3DS. I have yet to find a convincing argument to show that it did.

cm0002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would say a partial hack, possibly roms, by the end of the year and fully hacked by the end of the next. and piracy doesn't kill any console. it helps

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UniqueGeek said:
tajio said:
To answer some of your questions:
2. How long will it take? How long did it take for the DSi to be hacked partially? A LONG TIME!
How many people cared enough about the DSi compared to the amount of people who care about hacking the 3DS?

Team Twiizers was working actively on the DSi for years. It took them a long time just to find the Cooking Mama save game hack. A full year after that to get Sudokuhax which only lasted about 1 day. What YOU care about isn't relevant to what people are actively trying to accomplish.

Ghork

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
nutella said:
The fact that the menus on the 3DS are similar to the Wii does not at all help with finding an exploit. Keep your expectations as low as possible. It's unlikely that we'll see something of any use for a long time, if at all.
I mean, because the menus are similar we could add channels like with the wii.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
doyama said:
What YOU care about isn't relevant to what people are actively trying to accomplish.
He didn't say there were none, he was pointing out the large difference in numbers, and there's certainly a large difference in numbers.

Large interest by uninformed masses don't help the situation...

Team twiizers on the other hand is one of the top console hacking groups out there with many members having lots of experience... so their involvement in DSi and the amount of time it took should be a pretty good example of what to expect for 3DS... including how fast nintendo removed the offending hackable software and released a patch to fix it (only a couple months versus the year or more to half-ass fix it on Wii)

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
Ghork said:
nutella said:
Yes, well techincally the DSi menus are simialr to the wii, but we can't install homebrew channels.
Don't be hoping on an exploit anytime soon.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well yes and no ,remember that marcan was busy with other projects ,especially openlase and was probably not devoting as much time in to hacking the dsi ,i think that a huge interest by the masses will certainly influence the time it takes to get this cracked ,because the flashcard manufacturers know that there is a huge interest and that translates in to huge profits and also translates in to huge motivation for them to get something out there ,ever day they dont they are loosing money ,the more money thet know will will make the more money and time they will be investing in developing and hiring developers and buying equipment to get it done,sure team twiizers is one of the best if not the best ,but i would not coulnt on them ,they have said they dont have much interest in 3ds,not sure how much interest they really had in the dsi ,but i suspect it wasnt that much ,marcan could probably do it in a few months if he really wanted to and invested al is time and energy in that one project,

and to the poster who said that they could patch a 3ds flashcard just as easy as they could an exploit through the sd slot ,
well what if the flashcart was emulating an actual cart ,the they really couldnt block it that eaasy could they?
and lets not forget about mod chips ,the solder in or, snap on kind ,those are not able to blocked,i dont think anyways, hasnt happened yet

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ghork said:
nutella said:
That's completely irrelevant to what I said.

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Do we really need all these damn speculation topics? It thought there was one topic for it all.

Anyway, it's not going to happen any time soon, and the 3DS has a lot more people on it than just Team Twiizers. It's not like many people cared about hacking the DSi (apart from the raging internet noobs). The 3DS will be hacked quicker simply because more people are working on it. There's a higher chance of finding an exploit, and there's also the competitive side to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr