OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
NitroGrafx V0.4
emulator update
Flubba has updated his PC-Engine/TurboGrafx16 emulator for the DS

Updates:

Fixed a bug that affected Blazing Lazers and timing of ADPCM which affected Sapphire.

*Fixed CPU cycles per scanline (455, confirmed on hardware).
*Fixed timing of scroll register writes.
*Fixed Sprite DMA IRQ handling.
*Fixed savestates a bit (should be compatible between versions now).
*Fixed scaling after loading savestate.
*Fixed caching of Bios.
*Better timing of ADPCM playing (still no sound though).
*Debug output now optional, also more info is written.

Download
Source

Contributed by moose3

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Still no horizontal scaling?
ohmy.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
Still no horizontal scaling?
ohmy.gif
I don't know if this emulator is running on a software or hardware renderer, likely hardware. But DS generally cannot scale emulated games unless the emulator has a software renderer. For example-

SnemulDS- hardware, no horizontal scaling
JenesisDS latest version- hardware, no horizontal scaling
JenesisDS 0.4SW- software, horizontal scaling available, but is about 80% slower and has no sound
Lameboy- software, horizontal scaling available, still has some speed issues with some games unlike Goomba Color

The list goes on. If this emulator was using a software renderer, it would probably have horizontal scaling. However, the software way of doing things is FAR slower than hardware. You'd sacrifice speed and possibly even sound. DS just isn't that powerful, so it can only achieve fullspeed with software rendering on the weaker 8-bit systems and such.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, due to how the DS' hardware works, the vertical scaling is easy to implement but horizontal scaling isn't. I've talked to plenty of emulator authors about it and have their word firsthand. I'm not sure how the technical details work, but you can be assured they know what they're talking about. If they say it's impossible with hardware rendering, it is.

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vertical scaling is easy, since the DS screen draws line by line. So to shrink vertically, you just have to skip some lines when drawing. Horizontal is much more difficult, since you can't skip pixels like that.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, is there some sort of horizontal scrolling then? If there is, then I couldn't get it to work properly then.
I at least want horizontal scrolling that follows the main object on the screen (jEnesisDS did this decently by following the D-pad).

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Could anyone give me some advice on getting CD games to work on an AK2.1? I've got all the BIOSs for the different systems and the games I'm testing are Monster Lair (U), which is cue/bin and Space Fantasy Zone (J), which is cue/ISO. Do I need to do anything special to the ISOs to make them work with this emulator? I can get to the bios card screen but when I press run I just get "Load error"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol