Homebrew Ninty repair question.

Mariosl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my brothers 3ds has been broken ever since 2014 and we're going to get it fixed with ninty because we may need a new motherboard since there's a pop when it turns on. Can and will they update the 3ds since I want to install A9LH after the fix. (Can you leave your experience with Nintys repair in the 3ds family?) (Also if you had the same problem as me and you got it fixed with them did it break again?) (The problem is when it powers on there is a pop then it turns off)

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or just open the console and check the ribbon cables to make sure theyre all the way plugged in. Could save you the money if you just check the LCD cables.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still, I wouldn't pay for Nintendo to fix it, you'd be better finding a used one on a lower firmware. Maybe wait for somebody to reply about your popping noise, it may just be an easy fix.

check this video

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

TheMynx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You can install A9LH on the latest FW now, so there's no point in doing that really, Nintendo charges a lot for their repairs, you're better off just buying another 3DS

Reactions: wormdood

DinckelMan

Your Favorite Water Mage!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am almost 100% confident they will immediately return the 3DS to you if you have A9LH installed, so just go with the stuff everyone else has recommended

Infidel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If on boot the blue LED comes on then the speakers pop and the 3ds immediately shuts off. Then I'm almost positive this is either a loose, detached, or torn ribbon cable. Try holding the screen at different positions on boot. Like try to turn it on with the top screen barely open, then open a little farther and boot and so on. If the 3ds comes on at any of these position its the ribbon cable.

Also: FYI if you are able to get it booted up Gamestop will take it in trade. Just traded my daughter's to them with the same problem and still got $85 out of it.

Last edited by Infidel,

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do whatever. Latest firmware can install arm9loaderhax. N3ds consoles are around 100 bucks nowadays, so I'd recommend those still, but if you're set on fixing it to ahead. Either way, you will 100 percent be able to install arm9loaderhax on it.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do whatever. Latest firmware can install arm9loaderhax. N3ds consoles are around 100 bucks nowadays, so I'd recommend those still, but if you're set on fixing it to ahead. Either way, you will 100 percent be able to install arm9loaderhax on it.
Used N3DS or new N3DS for $100? I've only found broken ones for ~$100. Refurbished for $170 from Nintendo directly, that's the cheapest I've found one for a "like new" N3DS.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used N3DS or new N3DS for $100? I've only found broken ones for ~$100. Refurbished for $170 from Nintendo directly, that's the cheapest I've found one for a "like new" N3DS.
Black friday they were 100, and few have still remained that price. Amd these are regular models, not xl.

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

Mariosl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still, I wouldn't pay for Nintendo to fix it, you'd be better finding a used one on a lower firmware. Maybe wait for somebody to reply about your popping noise, it may just be an easy fix.

check this video

It didn't work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So the new 3ds comes with what firmware pre-installed?

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It didn't work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So the new 3ds comes with what firmware pre-installed?
If it wasn't the LCD ribbon cables it could be the speaker or camera cables too, those can be damaged from opening and closing the screen.

It really doesn't matter what firmware the new 3DS has as you can get A9LH and CFW on the latest OFW.

Mariosl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it wasn't the LCD ribbon cables it could be the speaker or camera cables too, those can be damaged from opening and closing the screen.

It really doesn't matter what firmware the new 3DS has as you can get A9LH and CFW on the latest OFW.
I just wanted to know. But also with the new 3ds isn't there a higher chance of bricks?

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to know. But also with the new 3ds isn't there a higher chance of bricks?
It's hard to know and is really not necessary because you'll update to 11.2 to install A9LH anyways.

The only thing you CAN'T do on a N3DS is put the console to sleep while on 2.1.0 or you will brick. Other than that, it's completely safe(when the guide is followed correctly).

Mariosl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If on boot the blue LED comes on then the speakers pop and the 3ds immediately shuts off. Then I'm almost positive this is either a loose, detached, or torn ribbon cable. Try holding the screen at different positions on boot. Like try to turn it on with the top screen barely open, then open a little farther and boot and so on. If the 3ds comes on at any of these position its the ribbon cable.

Also: FYI if you are able to get it booted up Gamestop will take it in trade. Just traded my daughter's to them with the same problem and still got $85 out of it.
But if there is a lose or broken ribbon cable what do I do? (FYI If I open it)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse