Hacking Nintendont

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I care. Aspirin and Ibuprofen can be used to do the same job but they're wildly different and have different side effects. The proper label is always important.
Ha ha, nothing to do with emulation vs virtualization. Prove side effects and/or adverse reactions for you based on which one is used. Good joke.

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ha ha, nothing to do with emulation vs virtualization. Prove side effects and/or adverse reactions for you based on which one is used. Good joke.

It was a clear example that I hoped would be easily understood. Just because two things yield the same result doesn't make them the same. Just because the difference between emulation and virtualization doesn't mean anything to you doesn't mean it's not important and that the distinction shouldn't be made. The first post of this thread clearly states this isn't an emulator. If that wasn't important why would it be listed?

Well then I guess we better keep arguing.

Why? The argument is over. It's virtualization and there is a difference between virtualization and emulation. The retired linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens asked a question and I answered it. Distinction is important.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I can say is, Crediar is a genius, and it probably wouldn't hurt to donate. No, I don't want to donate in hopes of getting a beta test version because that would be the wrong reason to donate. I want to do that because I feel it's the right thing to do to help further the project. How it's done is irrelevant and quite an achievement to say the least. The fact it's as running as well as it is, considering it's still in early alpha stages all the more proves that people like Crediar and Tueidj are extremely talented and respected developers.

Devs need as much support as they can get.

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two things:
  1. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/joke
  2. The argument isn't over, because you continue to bring it back up.
1. I don't understand the relevance. My post was called a joke. I understand what a joke is. My post was far from it.
2. This is a different argument though. The old argument was over whether nintendont is an emulator or not. Now we're on to who gives a damn. It also takes more than one person to argue so you can't pin all the blame on me.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In other news, Crediar seemed to completely ignore my tweet to him regarding my controller.ini config for the Mayflash CC to USB adapter...

Huh, that's weird. I wonder if he has an email address somewhere. I know he's registered on this site (I think) but ignores this place like the plague. Wonder what would happen if you kept on posting that info once per day. He can't ignore it forever. Or his YouTube channel, that's another possible way to contact him. :P I really respect the work people like him do.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, maybe it was just bad timing on my part or something? I tweeted it to him 6 hours before he released the video showing 1080p upscaling /w widescreen hack.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, maybe it was just bad timing on my part or something? I tweeted it to him 6 hours before he released the video showing 1080p upscaling /w widescreen hack.

YouTube is another good place to try, he uploaded a video yesterday, so he seems pretty active on that front.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YouTube is another good place to try, he uploaded a video yesterday, so he seems pretty active on that front.
Yes, and we get progress reports. I don't care how he does it as long as it improves and is solid for release. Is this too simplistic for an opinion?
Sucks people cannot get responses they want. I imagine Crediar would be overwhelmed if he spent time addressing evertone.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Forgive my laziness in not performing a more thorough search than in this thread, but did Crediar confirm that Nintendon't is like a virtual machine rather than a compatibility layer? The latter seems comparatively easier to me, although I'm an expert in neither. As far as I can tell, the only person to mention it is Nintendo Maniac, though they never actually bothered to give reasoning for the conclusion.

There's also a strange insinuation floating around that virtual machines and emulators are mutually exclusive entities and something is either one or the other. This isn't the case at all, in fact many (dare I say most?) virtual machines perform some degree of emulation. A quick and dirty example would be several hardware interfaces, such as networking or USB interfaces, when you're virtualising an operating system.

Like I said, I haven't done much digging, but I'd expect Nintendon't to be little different from Devolution under the hood.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive my laziness in not performing a more thorough search than in this thread, but did Crediar confirm that Nintendon't is like a virtual machine rather than a compatibility layer? The latter seems comparatively easier to me, although I'm an expert in neither. As far as I can tell, the only person to mention it is Nintendo Maniac, though they never actually bothered to give reasoning for the conclusion.

There's also a strange insinuation floating around that virtual machines and emulators are mutually exclusive entities and something is either one or the other. This isn't the case at all, in fact many (dare I say most?) virtual machines perform some degree of emulation. A quick and dirty example would be several hardware interfaces, such as networking or USB interfaces, when you're virtualising an operating system.

Like I said, I haven't done much digging, but I'd expect Nintendon't to be little different from Devolution under the hood.

Like Devolution, I believe that Nintendon't is a compatibility layer where no emulation occurs, but has access to the real hardware in question. One thing's for sure, it's pretty freakin' amazing. At least to my understanding, I could be wrong. :P

Reactions: rubencube

rubencube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Like Devolution, I believe that Nintendon't is a compatibility layer where no emulation occurs, but has access to the real hardware in question. One thing's for sure, it's pretty freakin' amazing. At least to my understanding, I could be wrong. :P

I fully agree what you say, also though less work crediar emulation did an excellent job.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My comment about it being a virtual machine rather than a compatibility layer was because I could have sworn I saw Crediar say somewhere that it was virtualized/a virtual machine/used virtualization/etc.

Or maybe I'm just insane.

Link Shed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crediar Is the man and Nintendont sounds incredible. I am wondering if the WII U Pro Controller will work with Nintendont? Anyone know?

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Devo is a Sandbox/Virtual Machine and it doesn't emulates the HW of a NGC but can (optionally) emulate differents pieces of HW like Memory cards (EXI device), NGC modem, keyboard (SI device), etc. It's not a compatibility layer.

I have not seen any word of crediar on the matter, he just said that didn't know how Devo works, but I think Nintendon't is very similar.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You are wrong, afaik doesn't exist MIOS calls, the game itself handles all hardware access like disc reads, memory card access, controller polls etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)