Hacking Nintendont

Xorrak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I cannot get any form of controls to work on nintendont after I start up a game. Only wiimote repsonds in the settings but not once the game is started.
Games start just fine.
I've tried the HID test tool to see if it is capturing controls and it does without issue.
Native controls are set to off.
I have placed the .ini file for switch gamecube controller in the root of my SD card (they updated on github a few days ago to support it).
I have tried several different other controllers as well and nothing works.
I have tried USBloader gx, but it doesn't work.
I have tried USB front and back.
Some youtube videos suggest that you put in the controller AFTER you start the game, but that doesn't work either... Am I doing something wrong? Tried for hours now it feels, nothing seems to work. HID to vpad on wii u works great but it doesn't transfer to vWii...

Edit: I tried a Wii U forwarder to nintendont from the program "Wii U USB helper" and I can finally use a controller in-game, but only with the Wii U gamepad, which was not the intended use. I tried to use HID to vpad but as soon as it switches to vWii, as mentioned before, it stops working with any controller (except the wii u game pad this time)

Last edited by Xorrak,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I cannot get any form of controls to work on nintendont after I start up a game. Only wiimote repsonds in the settings but not once the game is started.
Games start just fine.
I've tried the HID test tool to see if it is capturing controls and it does without issue.
Native controls are set to off.
I have placed the .ini file for switch gamecube controller in the root of my SD card (they updated on github a few days ago to support it).
I have tried several different other controllers as well and nothing works.
I have tried USBloader gx, but it doesn't work.
I have tried USB front and back.
Some youtube videos suggest that you put in the controller AFTER you start the game, but that doesn't work either... Am I doing something wrong? Tried for hours now it feels, nothing seems to work. HID to vpad on wii u works great but it doesn't transfer to vWii...

Edit: I tried a Wii U forwarder to nintendont from the program "Wii U USB helper" and I can finally use a controller in-game, but only with the Wii U gamepad, which was not the intended use. I tried to use HID to vpad but as soon as it switches to vWii, as mentioned before, it stops working with any controller (except the wii u game pad this time)
what controller are you trying to use? are they official controllers/adaptors?fake/3rd partys?

what version of nintendont are you using? are your sure the gc controller if using a wiiu gc adapter is connected on port 1 and not on port 4?

Reactions: jeannotte

Xorrak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
what controller are you trying to use? are they official controllers/adaptors?fake/3rd partys?

what version of nintendont are you using? are your sure the gc controller if using a wiiu gc adapter is connected on port 1 and not on port 4?

I have tried several different controllers. The one I have primarily been trying to use is the hori switch gamecube controller (the botw one specifically). I am using the latest version of nintendont. I have tried every single USB port available. I have an off-brand gamecube adapter that supports switch and regular gamecube controller (when I bought it, they claimed it to be mayflash, but lied since no branding on it). Using it on the switch gamecube controller is kind of redundant, but I have tried with it on all ports.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have tried several different controllers. The one I have primarily been trying to use is the hori switch gamecube controller (the botw one specifically). I am using the latest version of nintendont. I have tried every single USB port available. I have an off-brand gamecube adapter that supports switch and regular gamecube controller (when I bought it, they claimed it to be mayflash, but lied since no branding on it). Using it on the switch gamecube controller is kind of redundant, but I have tried with it on all ports.
is the ori ones those that are usb?

also i see your issue is your using alot of fake/3rd party stuff, nintendont isnt very friendly with fake/3rd party stuff in general

Xorrak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
is the ori ones those that are usb?

also i see your issue is your using alot of fake/3rd party stuff, nintendont isnt very friendly with fake/3rd party stuff in general

Yeah hori switch gamecube controller is USB. However, they updated the list of supported controllers on github called switch gamecube.ini
sounds like it should work.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah hori switch gamecube controller is USB. However, they updated the list of supported controllers on github called switch gamecube.ini
sounds like it should work.
if your pid vid dont match then it means nothing, there are dozens of devices, if pid/vid doesnt match then they arent coded what is your controller pid/vid?

Xorrak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
if your pid vid dont match then it means nothing, there are dozens of devices, if pid/vid doesnt match then they arent coded what is your controller pid/vid?

Yes I have checked the pid/vid and it does not match up with the hori one. I looked up the HID config wizard on this site to "setup" an ini for my particular controller, but it did not work properly for me, some buttons did not record.
VID: 0f0d PID: 00dc it told me.
Another program called usbtreeview confirms this.
However, when I use the HID_test for the Wii, it wants it to be:
VID:0f0d PID 00c1.
Tried both, but same result. I did a setup according to the HID test, but it did nothing either... I am thinking this is not going to work :(

Last edited by Xorrak,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes I have checked the pid/vid and it does not match up with the hori one. I looked up the HID config wizard on this site to "setup" an ini for my particular controller, but it did not work properly for me, some buttons did not record.
VID: 0f0d PID: 00dc it told me.
Another program called usbtreeview confirms this.
However, when I use the HID_test for the Wii, it wants it to be:
VID:0f0d PID 00c1.
Tried both, but same result. I did a setup according to the HID test, but it did nothing either... I am thinking this is not going to work :(
your controller is obviously a different one, which means you have to make your own controller.ini you cant just swap pid/vid and hope all buttons match, so you need to manually make your own controller.ini using hidtest.

Xorrak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
your controller is obviously a different one, which means you have to make your own controller.ini you cant just swap pid/vid and hope all buttons match, so you need to manually make your own controller.ini using hidtest.
I will try again tomorrow. Just to clarify. Do you put the .ini in the root of the SD card or is it some place else? Must it be called "controller" to be detected?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I will try again tomorrow. Just to clarify. Do you put the .ini in the root of the SD card or is it some place else? Must it be called "controller" to be detected?
works in several ways you can put the ini on the root fo the device that has the inis named controller.ini and it will be readed.

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also questioning my TV's scaler as I measure slightly wider geometry with 480i vs 480p.

So I checked my TV's geometry at all SD resolutions (480i, 480p, 576i, 576p) over both component and HDMI using this pattern:

IQqUva.png

The device I used to output the signals is an Enigma2-based PVR which runs on a Broadcom BCM7362 chipset.

I observe symmetrical geometry on all signals, except for component 480i and component 576i, which show a 2% horizotally stretched (widened) image.

NB. 'symmetrical geometry' doesn't mean there should be a visually equidistant gap between, say, the 5% overscan line and your display's top and side edges — the gap should actually be bigger between it and the side edge. Instead we should count the number of black lines between the overscan line and the edge of display, which should be the same when geometry is symmetrical. Alternatively we could just measure the circle with a ruler.

Based on my observation, I suspect there may be something in the signal spec (ITU / SMPTE / EBU / whoever) that says analogue SDTV is 704x480, but digital and EDTV is 720x480, which may account for this 2% discrepancy.

2% may not sound like a lot, and it sort of isn't, but it's definitely noticeable. Here's an animation:

IQBC6r.gif

Now if you recall I mentioned earlier that the Twilight Princess test pattern renders 2% horizontally squished (narrower) squares when Wii is outputting 480p.

This would seem to indicate that Gamecube hardware is perhaps designed for 704x480 output with a pixel aspect of 10:11, not 720x480 with 8:9. However I'm still not sure why this would matter, since the display aspect is 4:3 for both formats, so scaling 704 up to 720 should not change the geometry, since 720 has 2% narrower pixels which reverses the 2% geometrical stretch caused by the horizontal scaling.

The only possibility I can think of is that perhaps Wii is pillarboxing Gamecube's 704x480 into the 720x480 raster, which would result in 10:11 pixels being mapped directly to 8:9 pixels.

For completeness I'd like to check the 480p output from original Gamecube hardware and see if the geometry is squished compared to 480i.

A convenient way to check for the 2% discrepancy on your display is to open a channel's splash screen and compare the black border width in both directions with Wii outputting 480i vs 480p.

Last edited by NoobletCheese,

Phenj

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ADD. A. CONFIRMATION. TO. HOME. BUTTON.
THIS IS CRUCIAL.
Playing with a CC or CCP is EXTREMELY risky, because the START HOME and SELECT button are SO CLOSE. And guess what happens when you click the home button? YOUR GAME RESETS, COMPLETELY, WITHOUT ANY CONFIRMATIOM. And yes, that means that if you haven't saved in a while and accidentally press that button, yeah, you're f****d. Just because those buttons are so close.

SOLUTION?: Add a "Are you sure?" when you click the HOME button, that would help a lot.
Thanks.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THIS IS CRUCIAL.
Playing with a CC or CCP is EXTREMELY risky, because the START HOME and SELECT button are SO CLOSE. And guess what happens when you click the home button? YOUR GAME RESETS, COMPLETELY, WITHOUT ANY CONFIRMATIOM. And yes, that means that if you haven't saved in a while and accidentally press that button, yeah, you're f****d. Just because those buttons are so close.

SOLUTION?: Add a "Are you sure?" when you click the HOME button, that would help a lot.
Thanks.
Never had a problem here

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THIS IS CRUCIAL.

Thanks.

I'm not sure it's possible to inject overlays into the frame buffer once the game is loaded.
An alternative is to maybe require a 2 second hold of the home button, as per the power button.

But the home button is recessed into the controller to prevent this very issue from happening in the first place, and so I've never experienced it myself.

edit: is the home button not recessed enough in the CC/CCP? I am using the Wii U Pro Controller and it is sufficiently recessed to not allow any accidental presses.

Last edited by NoobletCheese,

Phenj

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not sure it's possible to inject overlays into the frame buffer once the game is loaded.
An alternative is to maybe require a 2 second hold of the home button, as per the power button.

But the home button is recessed into the controller to prevent this very issue from happening in the first place, and so I've never experienced it myself.

edit: is the home button not recessed enough in the CC/CCP? I am using the Wii U Pro Controller and it is sufficiently recessed to not allow any accidental presses.
No idea, maybe i just have big hands? And the game i'm playing requires select and start buttons a lot.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Never had a problem here
Happened two times, and i've been using nintendont for 2 days

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb