Hardware Nintendont - do I even need actual memory cards?

Diosoth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Despite having a memory card loaded in slot A, I couldn't find my Metroid Prime 2 save file on it. Turns out that Nintendont was set to emulate the memory card and is saving to the SD card directly. I also can't move that save to the memory card, apparently.

I have a 59 and a pair of 251s on hand, but since Nintendont is using the SD card is there any need to keep these cards? I can switch off emulation and use them but it seems almost a waste if they won't be needed.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You can use Dolphin to transfer saves between your real memory card (dumped by GCMM) and Nintendont's.
I would recommend either creating 1019 block combined card, or individual memory cards for each save.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Combined cards run the risk of corrupting all of your saves at once if a disk write fails. Individual 291 cards are much safer.

Nintendont saves games to a /saves/ folder on the drive the games are located. You can't change that.

Diosoth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only memcard options I see under Nintendont settings are "emulation on/off" "card size 59/251/1019" and "multi on/off". I would assume turning emulation off defaults to the actual card slots?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Single cards would be Emulation: On, Card Size:251, Multi: Off.

Emulation redirects the save calls to the device with the game ISO on it.
Card Size sets the size of the memory card file.
Multi uses the same file for all saves.

The second two aren't used if emulation is off.

Diosoth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's looking like I really don't need to keep the actual memory cards on hand after all. Plus I may want to play import titles and those don't save too well to cards with US saves on them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then