1. CamulaHikari

CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Netherlands
    http://www.consoleservice.nl/ was also a victim it seems xD~! It's were I bought my Ak2i and a friend of mine bought 2 just last week, lucky her~!
    And they were so easy, like they're address in my hometown, so it was always easy to pick things up.

But I was suprised to see that sidder was still up, I thouth it would be known well enough to be shut down too...

2. iFish

iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    I say good for nintendo.

They are finally doing something.

You get in to this business. it's a risk you take.

^ for the shops

3. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Nintendo you are too late the 3DS will be unhackable for the 3DS features, The DSi features were never hacked so this has pretty much no chance of being hacked. They lost the war in the present day but will most likely win in the future due to the technology and game size which reminds me of the PS3, no way most people will pay for blank Blu-Ray disks and the game size eats bandwidth quickly.

4. YayMii

YayMii hi

Canada
    1. How is Nintendo late?
    2. The only reason the DSi isn't hacked is because nobody's really bothering, and the people who already hacked it are mostly people who are against piracy. I guarantee that there will be more effort to hack the 3DS compared to the efforts already made to hack the DSi.
    3. Why does the size matter? In about 2-3 years, the price of larger memory cards will go down, and by then, we should have a full 3DS hack available.

5. Styles420

Styles420 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I still hold to the assertion that Ninty's best shot at beating piracy is to stop the shovelware... If they remove our only option to try before we buy (not many rental places carry handheld games, those that do have a limited selection), then many of us will just say to hell with it rather than gamble $30+ on a game that may be good, but most likely will be crap.

The only games I bought for the DS that I didn't regret paying for were the new super mario bros and Zelda: Spirit Tracks... after Sim City Creator, I decided to save my hard-earned money - the disappointment of a worthless game was bad enough, but knowing I actually paid for it still hurts two years later

Ninty may see this as a victory, but if they maintain the same level of shovelware, they may find that their sales actually drop as a result - at least we still had to pay full price for the systems...

6. Eric345

Eric345 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    heh no wonder why nintendo is better than the other ones

7. Drag0nflamez

Drag0nflamez GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    No, the BeNeLux (Belgium, Netherlands & Luxemburg) has the most flashcarts sold in the whole world (we Dutch people are greedy, it even made a developer skip us for a release of some game, dumbasses now we will use them even more xD). But since modchips are now prohibited, I'd defenitly love to see the WODE Jukebox @ ShopTemp.

8. coolness

coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
    Banned

Netherlands
    i`m happy that Amsterdam got probs
    hopely not Rotterdam xD

9. Drag0nflamez

Drag0nflamez GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    that's just the location of the press bureau - the whole Netherlands is affected by this.

10. gumgod

gumgod GBAtemp Regular

United States

I disagree with this underlined section. While the primary use in the "real world" my be piracy, violating copyright is not the exclusive use of these devices (flash cards). Among other things, how else are you going to get your DS or DS Lite to play music, run Linux or chat on IRC? And no playing music does not always violate copyright. The only thing these devices do is allow you to run custom code and boot up your own OS on the DS/DS Lite instead of Nintendo's firmware. It would be like saying Windows is illegal because it allows you to download copyrighted material and burn it to disk, therefore we should ban the use of Windows and make all writable media illegal.

11. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Yeah keep dreaming boy............do you really think nobody tried to hack the DSi just for the heck of it ? What planet are you from, and how can you be so naive ?
    If it can be hacked, it will be hacked, it's only natural, and with the hundred of thousands unit sold already do you really think none of the hackers gave some serious thought about the problem ? I'm getting sick of people saying that nobody bothers to hack the DSi because it's not worth it, it's just a looser attitude to diminish and hide the defeat.
    We are slowly loosing, it's inevitable, and I'm happy that way. Less piracy would only benefit the industry and at the end ,we users will only see better quality and more games ( provided we make a stand and all united stay away from shovelware ).

12. Santee

Santee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm said it was late because the ds has reaching the end of its shelf life and considering how big piracy was this generation with Nintendo I think there going to take a page out of the ps3 book and stop piracy at least for 2-3 years and by then piracy would have been away long enough for stores to bounce back.

13. BakuFunn

BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    The DSi is hacked. We can run pirated games on it, am I right?

It's true, no reputable hacker wanted to crack it. There really is not much of a point. Hack for a few more megs of RAM or a crappy camera? Or hack so you can play some more DSi-exclusive shovelware?

Sorry, but it's true. No one cares about DSi mode. Not many people, at least.

The 3DS will be a different story as it'll be a new system. Nintendo had them rev up their hacking-brains as well, stating it as "unhackable." There's a huge DS-hacking scene that will transition to the 3DS and hack it the best they can.
    There's no telling how good their anti-piracy is, but you can tell that the community will give 100% of their efforts to break it wide open.

14. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    The DSi uses 128-bit encryption (IIRC).
    How do you break it? You find the correct encryption key.

How many encryption keys are there? 2 (binary, a bit) to the 128th power (number of bits), divided by 8 (8 bits in a byte).
    That's so many that the calculator that comes with windows (at least XP) can't even display the number without reverting to scientific notation.

128-bits is...
    340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 possible values in binary.
    However, Since there's 8 bits in a byte, you divide 128 by 8 and get 16. That's 16 bytes, 16 characters.
    That's 18,446,744,073,709,552,000 possible values, ranging from 0x0000000000000000 to 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. Eighteen quintillion possible keys.
    The actual number is a bit less less since a key will be a certain number of digits and be designed to not have repeating segments, but this puts it in perspective.

Let's say that you have a computer program which can try 50,000 unique keys a second.
    That's 3,000,000 keys a minute.
    180,000,000 keys in an hour.
    4,320,000,000 keys a day.
    1,576,800,000,000 keys in one year.

It would take 11,698,848 years to try all the keys at that speed.

So wait, how do they break other systems? If you can get a direct copy of the encrypted data and compare it to a copy of the unencrypted data (as well as view the data as it's transmitted around the DSi's internals), that goes a long way towards figuring out the key without having to try all possible combinations. You'll be able to find the key without all the guessing! The problem is you'd need to take a DSi apart and fuck with it's insides while it's on to try to get a copy of the data while it's unencrypted (since the DSi will unencrypt what it needs on the fly in order to use it), and usually when you're done with that the DSi's pretty broken and in no shape to game, or even to be experimented on a second time...
    [​IMG]

This process can be hampered by the internal design of the system, so you may need to take apart many systems before you even figure out how to read some of the data, let alone get a full copy of it, and last I checked DSi's don't cost $5... and who's going to do all this work and spend all this money for some extra RAM (when the DSi has it's own web browser that's better than any homebrew) and double the processing speed (which is still worse than the PSP's)?

Next time try actually knowing about a subject before you talk about it, m'kay?

15. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

Swedish people are really greedy, we are even more greedy then Hitler was.
    ThePiratebay was born here god dammit XD

80% of the swedish people pirate music, 30% pirate Computer games, and 25% pirate console games, i don't know about handheld but it's REALLY high compared to the others.
    (if i remember right 50% pirate movies too)

MORE INFO:

And that was written 2008
    Source http://alturl.com/6fhjf

16. iNFiNiTY

iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I'm not going to go through this whole list because its pointless, but none of these circumvent protection. A DVDR/CD drive in a computer doesn't bypass any protection its software that can do it. It's a silly comparison because most of your examples are some method of recording media, and you can't 'record' software like that. An example of circumventing protection would be a pirate Sky decrypting box (doesn't exist anymore).

17. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    lol man rydian by the time the DSi is hacked assuming AD will be the standard timeline or w/e it'll be the year 11,700,858 AD DS tech would be like Comadore 64 or Atari tech by then also the human race maybe extinct

18. gumgod

gumgod GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I know this is slightly off topic, but I love that picture of the DSi and just wanted to post a source with more images of it. I've seen it before, and most here probably have, but I am still in awe every time I see it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/micahdowty/se...57621023570420/

19. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    I'll add that to the copy-paste, thanks.

20. shakirmoledina

Tanzania
    its not a really huge case, its just tht they found a way to expose obvious downloading and selling

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - concerning, flashcards, Nintendo