Nintendo WFC on DSi with WPA-2 PSK

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Wingz136, May 17, 2009.

May 17, 2009
  1. Wingz136
    OP

Newcomer Wingz136 Member

United Kingdom
    I sold my DS Lite and got a DSi as I was told the DSi could connect to Nintendo WFC on a WPA encrypted network (mine is WPA-2 PSK) to play online DS games. I can't figure out how - I can get online with the DSi shop & DSi browser, but not games. I'm using an Acekard 2i. Please help!

2. KazoWAR

Member KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I heard that in DS mode, it cant connect to the newer types like it can in DSi mode.

3. Nerdii

Banned Nerdii Banned

Australia
    True!!! Good job KazoWAR!!

Just change your WiFi to WEP!

4. shattering

Newcomer shattering Member

Indonesia
    I can help you with this question.

Yes, you can connect using WPA key, but you still need to use WEP key if you want to play online. WPA can only be used to connect to the internet and not to play games.

This is from nintendo website
    "My security settings are not supported or are not compatible
    If your network name (SSID) is displayed on the Nintendo DS with a gray locked icon (pictured below), then your router is set up with security that is not supported by the Nintendo WFC. Playing multiplayer over the Nintendo WFC is only compatible with the WEP security setting, even when playing with a Nintendo DSi. WPA and other security settings are not compatible. "

5. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Whoever told you that is an idiot.

WPA/2 = System Update, DSiWare, Internet Browser, Future Games?
    WEP = All current games

6. wireles

Newcomer wireles Advanced Member

Belgium
    And is their any chance that old games can be played online with WPA security????

7. Tac 21

Member Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    no, not unless if you hack the game internally.... which would still cause TONS of bugs.

just set it to wep if you want to play so badly. I have a wifi max so I don't mind at all.

8. zero383

Canada
    No chance. Just use WEP for when you play online and switch back to WPA when you're not.

9. wireles

Newcomer wireles Advanced Member

Belgium
    Years ago i read in a magazine that WEP is easy to crack, and since i live next to alot of students, with some of them studying in the computer branche, i'm not going to take that risk. I just cant understand, it is years ago that they said WEP is bad, and now 2009 its the only easy way to play with a brand new dsi, thats b*llsh*t. I have however a nintendo wifi connector , but that isn't user friendly since my computer has to be turned on...

10. zero383

Canada
    If you have a good router than you can adjust the Tx range. In that case, sombody will have to be standing near you to crack it. Also, to make it more difficult for hackers, change the amount of IP's assigned by the DHCP to 1, turn ssid broadcast off, enable MAC filtering.