Hacking Nintendo Video analysis

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
This is great news, i hope that it will be possible to maybe host a gbatemp “nintendo video” server that users would be able to dowload videos uploaded to gbatemp on. or for example, for watching anime you could have a server for each different show then someone nice could make a lovely long detailed guide with pictures explaining how to connect to them.
biggrin.gif

good luck

Spidey_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Woah, that's definitely not hard, make a single software that will act as a DNS server and as http server, serving the selected videos to the 3DS. Definitely doable, we just need to decode the video format.

@popffka: could you upload the video files somewhere? Also, even if my region is not supported, if I were to put the video files in my sd card, would I be able to watch them, from cache?

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
currently i am in a location where it's unavaible
can you please tell me how to make it connect to italy's/france's/us/whatever server
i'm really hopeless
cry.gif
i asked on ask gbatemp and made a thread but i got ignored
cry.gif

all the proxies i found were related to web browsers

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
you know, Nintendo could get a whiff of this and start changing the links via firmware updates. that german link somebody posted aren't supposed to get hits by browsers, much less by anything else except the 3DS Nintendo Video app... if the techs there who monitor this are as smart as they should be, then they'll notice that these links are getting browser hits. and they logically should assume that it shouldn't. not even by chance. :/

wiibomb

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is it possible somebody kind enough would make a comprehensive guide (for noobs like me) to make that DNS and Http servers in our computers? the 3Dbrew page steps are not helping much and that app is just floating in my 3DS, waiting for a good use...

cherryduck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OP, I need some help on this. Whenever I try and replicate this, Nintendo Video fails the connectivity check if I have a DNS server running. I know my DNS server is working because I can browse the internet and the e-shop and download the Nintendo Video app all while my server is running, everything else works fine but the Nintendo Video app won't do bugger all if I have a DNS server running, or if I connect to the internet via a proxy which logs the network activity. Anything other than a direct connection to my router just won't work. Even if I have my DNS server sat there resolving correct addresses and not changing a thing, the connectivity check fails, but only within the Nintendo Video app.

wiibomb

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cherryduck said:
OP, I need some help on this. Whenever I try and replicate this, Nintendo Video fails the connectivity check if I have a DNS server running. I know my DNS server is working because I can browse the internet and the e-shop and download the Nintendo Video app all while my server is running, everything else works fine but the Nintendo Video app won't do bugger all if I have a DNS server running, or if I connect to the internet via a proxy which logs the network activity. Anything other than a direct connection to my router just won't work. Even if I have my DNS server sat there resolving correct addresses and not changing a thing, the connectivity check fails, but only within the Nintendo Video app.

I really do not know how to help, but I encourage to you to continue, you are our last hope
yaynds.gif

and I would appreciate if you can do a guide explaning everything you did for that, I want to try that damn app alredy...

cherryduck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have it working with Windows tools
laugh.gif
I've used Simple DNS Plus and XAMPP. Install XAMPP with default settings, nice and easy, then run the XAMPP control panel and hit "Start" next to "Apache". In Simple DNS Plus, click on "Records" and then hit the Quick Zone Wizard, enter the server under "Zone Name", ie pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net, and in the three boxes underneath enter the IP address of your computer, you can get that by opening a command prompt and typing "ipconfig". Then just go into your 3DS network settings and set it to use the IP address of your computer as both primary and secondary DNS servers. Bingo
laugh.gif

Arisotura

rise of melonism
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
I think you guys are wasting your time with that. Not to sound pessimistic, but I highly doubt that anything in the first 28 bytes of the video files can be exploited, and the rest of the files is encrypted, most likely AES128 CTR again. Basically, for now, nothing can be achieved with that. Not software exploits, not custom videos... nothing until the key is obtained.

cherryduck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well no, but this thread didn't start as an attempt to look for an exploit. Many European users cannot download and view the videos from the Nintendo Video service, this allows them to do so. Also, it allows users to download videos from other countries which the Nintendo Video service would not normally deliver to them. I for example have a mixture of the UK videos and German videos on my 3DS currently.

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mega-Mario said:
Oh that... well then, that is possible indeed, but that's pretty much about it.

(and why does Nintendo have to region lock videos? that feels incredibly dumb to me, go on a trip, no more videos? wtf?)
licensing probably

wiibomb

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cherryduck said:
laugh.gif
I've used Simple DNS Plus and XAMPP. Install XAMPP with default settings, nice and easy, then run the XAMPP control panel and hit "Start" next to "Apache". In Simple DNS Plus, click on "Records" and then hit the Quick Zone Wizard, enter the server under "Zone Name", ie pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net, and in the three boxes underneath enter the IP address of your computer, you can get that by opening a command prompt and typing "ipconfig". Then just go into your 3DS network settings and set it to use the IP address of your computer as both primary and secondary DNS servers. Bingo
laugh.gif

well, I have done everything you told me.. I have settle everything up and now the Nintendo video says I have a correct evironment and blah blah... and that I can download videos.. however.. nothing is downloading.. did I do something wrong may be? or do I need to put something else for the download?

also, for the primary and secondary DNS I tried to put the IP adress of my PC, as well in the Simple DNS, however.. the 3DS always popped me a error saying that the DNS was wrong.. so I put the instruction you told me under the comand prompt and I only showed an IP almost exactly the same as my router, so I changed all in my 3DS DNS and the IP of the Simple DNS Plus, and it worked as far as telling me the message.. I don´t know if I did something wrong in that, thanks for you help...

rodrigobarg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
wiibomb said:
cherryduck said:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

well, I have done everything you told me.. I have settle everything up and now the Nintendo video says I have a correct evironment and blah blah... and that I can download videos.. however.. nothing is downloading.. did I do something wrong may be? or do I need to put something else for the download?

also, for the primary and secondary DNS I tried to put the IP adress of my PC, as well in the Simple DNS, however.. the 3DS always popped me a error saying that the DNS was wrong.. so I put the instruction you told me under the comand prompt and I only showed an IP almost exactly the same as my router, so I changed all in my 3DS DNS and the IP of the Simple DNS Plus, and it worked as far as telling me the message.. I don´t know if I did something wrong in that, thanks for you help...

The same happens to me. It says I have the correct environment, but it doesn't download the videos.

wiibomb

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
rodrigobarg said:
wiibomb said:
cherryduck said:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The same happens to me. It says I have the correct environment, but it doesn't download the videos.

ok I have conctacted cherryduck, seems like a problem becuase we have to download the files to our computer, I´m working to try to do that, I´ll reply when I do that, everything you did is good with the DNS server (Simple DNS Plus), but the problem is with the HTTP server (XAMPP), we apparently need to download the files and put them so that the 3DS find them on the HTTP server, right now seems like the 3DS haven´t found anything yet (because we did download nothing)

I´ll reply back

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free