Nintendo To Help Bring more Japanese 3DS Games To The West

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying it to your friends and family too?

I mean, seriously, the devs are putting effort and money in translating the game in english, or, if you're lucky enough, in your mother language, and yet you complain, but, for some reason, you bear just fine with your friend, family, and everyone around you. Now, while I like anime too, I would never say no to an english dub. And I don't understand why you guys hate it (not just you, NahuelDS), it's not like everyone around you speaks japanese and the subtitle appears over their heads, nor everyone around you is a world famous voice actor or Morgan Freeman, so, what's the big deal? Dubbing project or what you hear in your every day life, it's all the same language, the one you were born knowing (or willingly learned, like me). Dubbing isn't alien language. It's your language, spoken by people with a better voice than yours, and nothing more. So, why the hate?
I don't like to play Japanese games dubbed in english
the same way I don't like to watch Hollywood movies dubbed in spanish

It's sooooo simple, you like it... fine
I don't like it.... deal with it

Reactions: BAHIM Z 360

Gabbynaruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I don't like to watch Hollywood movies dubbed in spanish

If you know japanese, I have nothing against you. But that doesn't mean everyone knows japanese. And for those people, dubs are necessary. Why give them a text game when the original game had voice acting? We're not in an age where a voice dub can be skipped because there is not enough space on the disk to do it, we're in a age where about everything has to be voiced to be enjoyable. I think even you, if you had a choice, would choose a voiced game instead of a text one. So, why say no to voice acting when it was originally there. I understand it's sometimes awful, but that's not reason enough for just a country to have voice acting, while the rest of the world has a text version.

(And no, I wouldn't watch a hollywood movie dubbed either, but that's just because the lips wouldn't be synching with the audio, and that can ruin the experience)

Reactions: gamefan5
D

Deleted_171835

i guess you better go to the store and look them
Those Sony shades he's wearing are blinding him.

amn36.gif

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you know japanese, I have nothing against you. But that doesn't mean everyone knows japanese. And for those people, dubs are necessary. Why give them a text game when the original game had voice acting? We're not in an age where a voice dub can be skipped because there is not enough space on the disk to do it, we're in a age where about everything has to be voiced to be enjoyable. I think even you, if you had a choice, would choose a voiced game instead of a text one. So, why say no to voice acting when it was originally there. I understand it's sometimes awful, but that's not reason enough for just a country to have voice acting, while the rest of the world has a text version.

(And no, I wouldn't watch a hollywood movie dubbed either, but that's just because the lips wouldn't be synching with the audio, and that can ruin the experience)

Why not both?

There are people who preffer games on it's original language, just like movies.
Having the option of chosing the audio and subtitles if necessary are perfect for everybody.

With many games coming from japan, and many having anime style cutscenes I understand pretty well why some people preffer the jappanese audio.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't meeting them halfway. This is (more or less) the same thing.
They're still bringing Japanese games to the West like always, at the same pace, but maybe a few more.
You want the moon on a stick don't you?

moon-on-a-stick.gif

This is typical of kids nowadays.
Nintendo: We're working harder to bring Japanese games out in the West.
Kids: Original voices or GTFO. Also no time delay because I know fuck all about development, costs and marketing!
Nintendo: Ok...we'll put those on as well...dunno about time delay.
Kids: Not good enough, I want them before they are developed!

Nintendo: Here is a new IP
Kids: WTF???? I WANT NEW PIKMIN!!!!1!1!!!
Nintendo:K...here is Pikmin 3!
Kids: WTF??? SAME OLD SHIT AS USUAL!!!11!!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Nintendo: Here is a new IP
Kid 1: WTF???? I WANT NEW PIKMIN!!!!1!1!!!
Nintendo:K...here is Pikmin 3!
Kid 2: WTF??? SAME OLD SHIT AS USUAL!!!11!!
Corrected. It's more a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't"/"can't please them all".

The other one is spot on, though.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo: Let's bring Japanese games to the West!
Me: ALLOW MOTHER**CKING REGION FREE.
Nintendo: :trollface:

I don't want Nintendo to bring Japanese games to the West with dubs.
I don't like it when they dub games.
And I want to play games on their Japanese release date. NOT A YEAR LATER.

I much prefer dubs to subs. So to me this news is very welcomed.

Par39

The Life Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The reason I tend to prefer subs to dubs with things like anime, where you can't have subs with dubbed material, is that I have a hard time understanding some accents (I'm looking at you Irish? dude in Yuyu Hakusho D: Gave up trying to understand what he said after a little while q-q ). And if I'm already reading the subs, doesn't really matter what language the people actually talk in, so I tend to pick either Japanese or English in games when possible based on which actors' have voices I prefer.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is real people have real emotions, actors have fake emotions. Just spouting emotionless lines can be called a dub, yes, but I doubt anyone would want it. The voices have to fit the character, and obviously they do in real life. There's a difference between the two. (not saying I hate dubs myself, mind you)

So what makes a Japanese actor better than an English one? Even with "fake emotions", quality acting is quality acting. It's what makes you go see a movie and get immersed. It's what makes people cry when they see Les Miserables.

I just don't get what this has to do with the subs vs. dubs argument as both feature voice acting, the difference is that by and large one language you'll understand (when we're talking about this site at least).

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some dubs are good. Some are bad.
Try the one in english first, if its unbearable or misses out content, view in japanese with subs.
Anime logic, works with games too, but Dubs are prefered a bit more with games.
It takes hoooooorbile acting to revert me to subbed in games

This Dubs vs. Subs debate is becoming rote.

Just fucking drop it already.
God can we please listen to Hyro?
He has a point.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So what makes a Japanese actor better than an English one? Even with "fake emotions", quality acting is quality acting. It's what makes you go see a movie and get immersed. It's what makes people cry when they see Les Miserables.

I just don't get what this has to do with the subs vs. dubs argument as both feature voice acting, the difference is that by and large one language you'll understand (when we're talking about this site at least).
I'm not saying that makes Japanese actors better, I'm saying that's a difference between voice acting and people talking to each other normally. It applies to Japanese dubs as well.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
the same way I don't like to watch Hollywood movies dubbed in spanish

It's sooooo simple, you like it... fine
I don't like it.... deal with it

Kind of like how bad The Simpsons is in Spanish or how horrible it was that one time they dubbed it in Swedish, my brother doesn't understand English yet, but he still prefers watch it with subtitles when given the option between watching it subbed or dubbed in Spanish/Swedish.
I for one can't stand watching cartoons like Regular Show in Swedish for example, OK dubs and all... it's just :S

A game like Resident Evil I rather play in English because it fits the western atmosphere, however in a game like Ex Troopers which feels very Japanese it also makes more sense to me to have the Japanese voices. Now, in Street Fighter IV they give you the option to set character specific voices which means that I can have every Japanese fighter speak his native tongue.
It's a matter of what feels natural and sounds better, I for example loved how every character in Punch-Out! on the Wii spoke in their native languages as well.

There are exceptions to this like with Kid Icarus where subs just becomes impossible to read due to the dialog taking place at the same time as the action, luckily the VA's and localization team all did a great job with it and made it feel really natural despite being a Japanese looking game.

It's a from case to case situation, I just pick whatever language fits better, having the option to switch is always a welcome addition.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
This Dubs vs. Subs debate is becoming rote.

Just fucking drop it already.

Subtitles are nice when the noise coming out of the speakers is incomprehensible, from background noise, volume, or some issues.

However, dubs, on one hand, do help as well, feels more natural with English subtitles.

Personally, I just take whatever's available to me. Most of the time, I take both.

If the voice is in Japanese, it just adds to the atmosphere of the game. If it's in English, it adds to your understanding.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
For dubbing a live action movie, it's voice actors vs. original actors
For dubbing a video game it's really Japanese voice actors vs. English voice actors (or whatever language)
The only real difference is the lips might be out of sync (assuming they took the time to sync them in the original language.)

As far as localization times, subtitles are usually faster to do than dubs. Would you prefer them?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, so one the salesman told him would get him bitches
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    In my experience women like a big shift stick with lots of power.
    Something that really burns rubbers
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only thing a nice car will get you is a gold digger. What happened to falling in love, no matter if I'm on a bus, or driving a nice car. No offense tho, I do like nice cars.
    +1
    Nothing like tearing ass up on a back road
    BigOnYa I think narcissism has all but killed love
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I think I can agree on that.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People tend to think look at everything I have gains attention but ends up making them look worse for what it is
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It would be funny to pick up a girl in a real expensive car, then next date show up in a piece o shit car just to see her reaction. If she was real, it wouldn't matter.
    Everyone is disposable and replaceable, lies and deception are the coin of the realm. I have never felt so alone and so at odds with the world.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think we should see others as disposable just if they can show any glimps of care about humanity should be forgiven
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, she would leave you inmediately
    +1
    For a time I considered creating a new big bang. Wipe the slate clean and start from scratch....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your closest friend probably talks negative about you the most
    +1
    I know I talk shit about that Ken guy constantly lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah I just had to consile it's a age thing and I can get erect
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Right.. Take a number
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Binkinator is still around you guys. I just saw him in one of the Discord servers that I'm in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get more mad when they learn you aren't as dimwitted as they think
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that guy who was dissappeared?
    My favorite thing about that Ken, if they talk bad about others to you. They doing it to you too.
    Always remember that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    More or less then they drop you and blame you when you find out
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: More or less then they drop you and blame you when you find out