Hardware Nintendo Switch Temperature Readings - Post temps

Fritomaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I recently bought a used unpatched switch. I took it apart cleaned it and used grizzly thermal paste.

When playing non intensive games I float around 39c 40c after a few hours undocked with 80% brightness.

When playing something like luigis mansion I'm around 46c undocked

Idle seems to be about 34c.

I'm curious what others are seeing with or without cooling mods/repaste.

I didn't check the temps before I did this but I'm 100% sure its running cooler since the fan is silent now 99% of the time.

(I'm getting the temp reading from the homebrew menu.)

Mthodmn101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a used unpatched switch. I took it apart cleaned it and used grizzly thermal paste.

When playing non intensive games I float around 39c 40c after a few hours undocked with 80% brightness.

When playing something like luigis mansion I'm around 46c undocked

Idle seems to be about 34c.

I'm curious what others are seeing with or without cooling mods/repaste.

I didn't check the temps before I did this but I'm 100% sure its running cooler since the fan is silent now 99% of the time.

(I'm getting the temp reading from the homebrew menu.)

thats pretty normal for handheld... docked will prob hover around 60C for luigi

Reactions: Idrolitina

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Messed around a bit with Dragon Quest XI on my launch day console that still has its OG paste (it hasn’t even ever been disassembled before heh).
At 460mhz GPU it seemed to max out at around 49C, and at 307mhz (which Luigi’s Mansion uses like 80% of the time) it seemed to max out at around 47.6C. Didn’t bother testing 384mhz, which the game normally uses.
Seems about the same as your result, which was what I was expecting.

NuadaXXX

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
what for temps get u for playing the trails of mana quality mod + @ Sorry i was meaning without FPS LOCK !!!

on the switch with
@ 1785 921 after 30 mins? w

im around ~ SOC 57 - PCB 55 - Skin 50 - 96-100% fan + with perma 96%+ gpu usage

I ask because I want to find out how we get the switch as cool as possible

i have it testet with the heat plate and without (i mean the SOC plate with the copper on it.)

without the SOC temp are only 3-5 c lower but skin is ~ 3+ c higher

best what i have found out is if i connect not the big back plate to the heat sink the temp go not higher and it feels cool for hours.

it seemed to max out at around 49C, and at 307mhz (which Luigi’s Mansion uses like 80% of the time) it seemed to max out at around 47.6C. Didn’t bother testing 384mhz, which the game normally uses.
Seems about the same as your result, which was what I was expecting.

i have in luigi 43c @stock aka 307 - with 24% fan also in max oc i think its more as 3c difference. maybe 6-9

fan% is importend for that test or you can't compare it

i think trails of mana with mod is a goot benchmark game its hold the gpu+fan constant near to max usage.

Last edited by NuadaXXX,

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what for temps get u for playing the trails of mana quality mod + 30fps lock

on the switch with
@ 1785 921 after 30 mins? w

im around ~ SOC 57 - PCB 55 - Skin 50 - 96-100% fan + with perma 96%+ gpu usage
Using same settings and clock speeds my switch on average is 5 to 10 degrees cooler than yours across the board and that was after 45 minutes or longer of gameplay. Fan and gpu usage are similar to yours.

NuadaXXX

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hi, my switch is now also ~ 5c cooler but because the test was with 25c+ and the temps above was without FPS lock for maximum heat

perhaps u can do it again without lock?

has u done any changes to the cooling system?

MaximusR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
In handhield my switch show 51c fan speed is 30% dock mode 63c fan speed 50 % is it normal or is hot
I repalce thermal paste with ic graphite
My room tempature about 35c

Reactions: linuxares

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The general notion is really to replace the thermal paste. The goop they use is just... I don't know... I also put some extra on the copper pipes to get a better heatspread. Probably does nothing but I had extra over so why the heck not?

Reactions: Idrolitina

FinalLau

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
I have used liquid metal(conductonaut) on my switch and it runs ~53c-54c with all maxed clk with ambient ~30c
Im disappointed with that aggressive fan speed profile setting that nintendo has placed into it's system as the fan runs 90% with just 53c s(from tesla overlay) and that 20%+ fan speed with just 40c+ in handheld is just wasting my battery and there is no other way i could reduce the fan speed as of now
53c is nowhere near from damaging the SoC as it can handle 105c with throttling from 70c+
Dont forget my phone runs 50c+ too during gaming and theres no problem with it

Last edited by FinalLau,

MaximusR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
after watch digital foundry video about tesla menu i notice tempature of PCB on thier video higher than cpu temp and my switch pcb temp lower than cpu temp then i reopen my switch and put two tiny ic graphite leftover on two side of heatsink than my switch cpu temp become lower but pcb temp now rise almost cpu temp
after 3 hour of gameplay in handhield my switch only show max cpu temp at 48c and my room ambient ~ 35c
Did that copper sheet actually make cpu heat tranfer to metal shiedl ?now i relize remove cooper sheet is a bad idea
Sorry for my bad english

Last edited by MaximusR,

FinalLau

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
after watch digital foundry video about tesla menu i notice tempature of PCB on thier video higher than cpu temp and my switch pcb temp lower than cpu temp then i reopen my switch and put two tiny ic graphite leftover on two side of heatsink than my switch cpu temp become lower but pcb temp now rise almost cpu temp
after 3 hour of gameplay in handhield my switch only show max cpu temp at 48c and my room ambient ~ 35c
Did that copper sheet actually make cpu heat tranfer to metal shiedl ?now i relize remove cooper sheet is a bad idea
Sorry for my bad english
That shows the ic graphite is doing it's job in transferring and cooling heat better than that copper sheet. The copper sheet should never be placed in between the SoC and heatpipe as it reduces the heat transferability due to increased in thickness between the heatpipe and SoC. You want the heatpipe to be sticked as close to the SoC to achieve the best heat transfer

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have used liquid metal(conductonaut) on my switch and it runs ~53c-54c with all maxed clk with ambient ~30c
Im disappointed with that aggressive fan speed profile setting that nintendo has placed into it's system as the fan runs 90% with just 53c s(from tesla overlay) and that 20%+ fan speed with just 40c+ in handheld is just wasting my battery and there is no other way i could reduce the fan speed as of now
53c is nowhere near from damaging the SoC as it can handle 105c with throttling from 70c+
Dont forget my phone runs 50c+ too during gaming and theres no problem with it
90% fan speed at 53C is not normal and shouldn’t happen, something is wrong.
(edit: I get 40% to 50% at 55-60C)

Also Switch doesn’t throttle :P

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

FinalLau

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
90% fan speed at 53C is not normal and shouldn’t happen, something is wrong.
(edit: I get 40% to 50% at 55-60C)

Also Switch doesn’t throttle :P
Was it in handheld or docked mode?
Cause I noticed the fan speeds were higher than in docked mode.
All my SoC, pcb & skin temperature are reporting similar temp figure with the SoC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/CaOkTKfxu44?si=gaexp0MTD_Yi-udH