Hardware Nintendo Switch Technical Specifications Discussion

What SoC do you think the Nintendo Switch will use? + Reasons in thread.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you really think nvidia has any say whatsoever in how the switch is created/managed outside of the job that they are paid to do?
Nintendo is in a desperate situation, so they will at least listen (not necessarily follow) to what Nvidia have to say.
I don't really understand why you are so negative about the eshop. I can find the thing I want with relative ease and while not optimal, the download speed is acceptable, but do remember both wii u and 3ds have inferior internet options due to small size and out of date tech.
Wii u exclusives before 2015 are a tier above PS4 and XB1.

Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
but do remember both wii u and 3ds have inferior internet options due to small size and out of date tech.

Geeee I bet the switch isn't going to be "small sized" (whatever that means) and have "out of date tech".

Edit. I should add, the only reason I'm negative is because Nintendo has constantly failed to deliver. I'm being more a realist than a pessimist. But these 2 things go hand in hand when dealing with a company that constantly fails to deliver.

The true sign of madness is to do the same thing and expect different results. Nintendo has constantly done the same thing (however different that is to what successful companies in the same business are doing), so I expect the same results.

Last edited by laudern,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has constantly done the same thing (however different that is to what successful companies in the same business are doing), so I expect the same results.
This is certainly the first time they've partnered with Nvidia and allowed multiple APIs on their system. It's not like Wii was a failure financially, either, so as long as they've learned some lessons from WiiU I wouldn't expect the same results.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Geeee I bet the switch isn't going to be "small sized" (whatever that means) and have "out of date tech".

Edit. I should add, the only reason I'm negative is because Nintendo has constantly failed to deliver. I'm being more a realist than a pessimist. But these 2 things go hand in hand when dealing with a company that constantly fails to deliver.

The true sign of madness is to do the same thing and expect different results. Nintendo has constantly done the same thing (however different that is to what successful companies in the same business are doing), so I expect the same results.
... just out of curiosity, are you one of those people who constantly buy and sell consoles and end up with nothing to show for the money you spent?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
... just out of curiosity, are you one of those people who constantly buy and sell consoles and end up with nothing to show for the money you spent?
I constantly buy them. Owning the following

N64
Psx
Ps2
DC
Xbox
Xbox 360
Wii
Gcn
Wii u
Ps4
Nes classic

I don't see what any of this has to do with Nintendo constantly being given a pass for a fail by their fan base.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

N64
Psx
Ps2
DC
Xbox
Xbox 360
Wii
Gcn
Wii u
Ps4
Nes classic

I don't see what any of this has to do with Nintendo constantly being given a pass for a fail by their fan base.
I grew up playing Famicom.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I grew up playing Commodore 64 mostly, but some Famicom also. I fondly remember the unbelievable futuristic state of the art digitized voices on Impossible Mission, oh well.
That said, what is this?
I realized long ago this thread had derailed into kiddish make believe techno babble, but now it is somehow nostalgia/background related?

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

N64
Psx
Ps2
DC
Xbox
Xbox 360
Wii
Gcn
Wii u
Ps4
Nes classic

Your big issue is that games are not transferable without having access to both consoles at the same time. That really only affects people that sell a console then later re-Buys that same console and want to play their digital games with, as Nintendo will transfer your game purchases to a new console if your old one breaks or is stolen. No online account, whether Xbox or Playstation, will allow you to sell off your game licenses to anyone else. You are literally complaining about a literal triviality that you claim somehow ruins the entire experience.

Reactions: Yil

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I grew up playing Commodore 64 mostly, but some Famicom also. I fondly remember the unbelievable futuristic state of the art digitized voices on Impossible Mission, oh well.
That said, what is this?
I realized long ago this thread had derailed into kiddish make believe techno babble, but now it is somehow nostalgia/background related?
It's all nostalgia right now that we hope big N to magically save the market from becoming Nvidia and AMD's play ground or a certain doom.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Your big issue is that games are not transferable without having access to both consoles at the same time. That really only affects people that sell a console then later re-Buys that same console and want to play their digital games with, as Nintendo will transfer your game purchases to a new console if your old one breaks or is stolen. No online account, whether Xbox or Playstation, will allow you to sell off your game licenses to anyone else. You are literally complaining about a literal triviality that you claim somehow ruins the entire experience.

This has to be a troll post. I would feel stupid arguing this.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This has to be a troll post. I would feel stupid arguing this.
The point is you're absolutely incensed about something and assume it will never change. Nintendo as a company is still learning, but will never discard values it deems core to it's identity. That makes it somewhat possible to guess how Nintendo will react to things, though not with absolute certainty. The Xbox 360 continuously evolved during it's lifetime because Microsoft has a crack team of Windows developers skilled enough to make big improvements to the OS and implement them on a nearly annual basis. Nintendo does not have that team, and furthermore have always preferred to consider their work complete at launch. Hence why over the years the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS OSs have more or less stayed consistent in their design and functionality, with emphasis being bug fixes and exploit management. Plus with the Wii U being more or less DOA it was not worth it to spend a great deal of expenditure in modernizing it's services. This is where the Switch comes in. Remember when Nintendo promised replacements to Club Nintendo and the Nintendo services? Well the majority of those features are part of the Switch. All the proof you need for that is - without relying on unwarranted cynicism - attempt to come up for a reason why My Nintendo still does not have any physical rewards and only Zelda Picross as a free title. Nintendo has been working on the switch for years - ever since the Wii U launched, basically. We already know that it's core is not simply an evolution of the Wii U's PPC core (which was my assumption for the longest time), but instead something that seems entirely new.

And if that doesn't persuade you, then perhaps this simple statistic will: Ever since the N64, Nintendo has followed a clearly defined tick-tock schedule. First the Gamecube, which was very powerful but then undersold to the weaker PS2. next came the Wii, which with it's new controller was a smash hit that has had a permanent effect on gaming (even the HTC Vive's controller can be seen as an evolution of the Wiimotes). Next was the Wii U, which focus on dual screen gaming and made the jump to HD - yet didn't sell very well at all. From this we can logically conclude that Nintendo chose to innovate yet again and will come out with something radical enough to be a hit. And that is what the Switch is. It's very core design is that even if you don't want to use it as a portable you can still use it as a regular console - yet if you ever want to take it somewhere (on a road trip, to your friend's, to the shitter) it's literally just a couple click-clacks and you are good to go. Literally how can that not be something to be excited about? Haven't you seen the poster of all the game developers that are on board with this thing? They KNOW what the thing is better than we do, and they are still excited. How can you possibly say that you are a better judge of Nintendo's future then those that have signed NDA's and have their fingers in the gut of the Switch?

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread should get a fake Pulitzer.
The research and writing is yellow press awesome.
Maybe bring something useful to the discussion without saying all our info is useless? If you think otherwise show it. Maybe its because you dont understand anything we're talking about and as such think we are talking shit?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

1) Nvidia was involved. And they want to screw over AMD. Enough said.
2) @TheDarkGreninja already confirmed the switch's power at least close to Xbox One when docked. Game engines don't lie.
3) I don't even care about online service that much. Wii u eshop just need better speed (which will be resolved next gen with ease) and auto-update which come as PSN/ Xbox Live requires paid subscription. So yeah, there is really nothing inferior about the eshop save for download speed.
Definitely close to Xbone. Cant say for sure if its better or not, ill ask my friend if there are any updates.

I grew up playing Commodore 64 mostly, but some Famicom also. I fondly remember the unbelievable futuristic state of the art digitised voices on Impossible Mission, oh well.
That said, what is this?
I realised long ago this thread had derailed into kiddish make believe technobabble, but now it is somehow nostalgia/background related?
Except it's just because you don't understand anything we're talking about, although I agree we have digressed slightly. how is it make belief? how about proving it.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe bring something useful to the discussion without saying all our info is useless? If you think otherwise show it. Maybe its because you dont understand anything we're talking about and as such think we are talking shit?

Definitely close to Xbone. Cant say for sure if its better or not, ill ask my friend if there are any updates.

Except it's just because you don't understand anything we're talking about, although I agree we have digressed slightly. how is it make belief? how about proving it.
No. I will not make the effort.
Just stop for a moment, take a deep breath, think calmly and start reading the thread objectively.
It is just a back and forth of rumours, backed up by nothing, there's even someone claiming he has a friend that is a relevant insider (a variation of the classic my uncle works for NintendoTM), man sure people want attention these days even to the point of pulling the old classic.
That is as much effort I'm willing to put into talking you into reason. More than that, do it yourself, I don't care enough.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Just stop for a moment, take a deep breath, think calmly and start reading the thread objectively.
It is just a back and forth of rumours, backed up by nothing, there's even someone claiming he has a friend that is a relevant insider (a variation of the classic my uncle works for NintendoTM), man sure people want attention these days even to the point of pulling the old classic.
That is as much effort I'm willing to put into talking you into reason. More than that, do it yourself, I don't care enough.
I'd say the UE4 presets are the most concrete info we have at this point, and they put Switch at slightly less powerful than XB1 while docked. This also fits with the pretty much confirmed resolution targets of 720p/1080p. Beyond that you'd have to rely on some less-reputable sources to derive info. My shot in the dark (that also falls within range of all rumors) is 768GFlops. Relative performance to GCN would then be ~1TFlop.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1313334&page=95#post227214053
And confirmed by Laura Kate Dale?
No Xenoblade X, nothing from Platinum games (I misses wonderful 101)
New UI, new IP.
Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...m_laurakbuzz_nintendo_switch_leaker_and_full/
Just taking too much space
With image proof
OisocLG.jpg

Last edited by Yil,

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thats the thing the rumours mentioned are reliable enough. EG and Laura Kate Dale are both extremely reliable sources; and even more (than them) WSJ (Takashi Mochizuki)
My friend isnt an insider shes a ue4 dev like me who is on the master branch (I only develop PC games with my friends, she develops for all consoles/machines), of course this is if you are talking about me.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVUjbpqsE_M