Nintendo Switch Reveal

NintendoSwitch_hardware.0.0.jpg
Nintendo has finally decided to show off their new "home gaming system", code-name NX. It's time to see what Nintendo has up their sleeves and put all the rumors to rest.
GBAtemp will covering the announcement and the OP will be updated as new information rolls in from the preview. Remember, the video starts at 9AM Central Standard Time, so be sure to watch, and discuss your thoughts here!

:arrow: Nintendo Official Site
Trailer

It's called the Nintendo Switch. Rumors are true, it's a tablet with connectable buttons that you can play at home and on the go. Console Controller looks similar to the Xbox One's. Has small little remotes and supports multiplayer. NBA game being shown. 3D Mario title. When you connect the portable controllers the system goes from console to portable. Skyrim and Splatoon shown. Still coming March next year.

Press Release
Detachable Controllers Reinvent Gaming

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- In an introductory video released today, Nintendo provided the first glimpse of its new home gaming system and revealed that it is called Nintendo Switch. In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch Dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to portable mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on an airplane, in a car, or to a friend’s apartment.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

Companies that will support the Switch
505 Games
• LEVEL-5 Inc.
• Activision Publishing, Inc.
• Marvelous Inc.
• ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
• Maximum Games, LLC
• ATLUS CO., LTD.
• Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
• Audiokinetic Inc.
• Parity Bit Inc.
• Autodesk, Inc.
• PlatinumGames Inc.
• BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
• RAD Game Tools, Inc.
• Bethesda
• RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
• CAPCOM CO., LTD.
• SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
• Codemasters®
• Silicon Studio Corporation
• CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
• Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
• DeNA Co., Ltd.
• SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
• Electronic Arts
• Starbreeze Studios
• Epic Games Inc.
• Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
• Firelight Technologies
• Telltale Games
• FromSoftware, Inc.
• THQ Nordic
• Frozenbyte
• Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
• GameTrust
• TT Games
• GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.

• UBISOFT
• Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
• Ubitus Inc.
• HAMSTER Corporation
• Unity Technologies, Inc.
• Havok
• Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
• INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
• Web Technology Corp

Screens
ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.18.41).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.19.46).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.07).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.18).jpg

ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.44).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.03).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.24).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.54).jpg

ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.08).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.24).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.36).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.23.16).jpg
It will be powered by a custom Nvidia Tegra chip.
Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

:arrow: Nvidia Blog

:arrow: Nintendo Switch Site

aCvN5gD4VMAA0FCh.jpg aCvN5gEIVIAAOcAA.jpg aCvN5gEmUMAAx8nb.jpg aCvN5gEZUAAAzayg.jpg

Nintendo First Look
The detachable controllers are called Joy-Con controllers.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

:arrow: Nintendo Site

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess. If youre looking subjectively at a company that has a reputation of low standards, I guess that's a big improvement. We had this sort of portability with the ps4 and vita, and I have to say, they did it better in terms of "power".
So how did PSV end up as a gal game system? Too much focus on Japan? bad software that don't really standout compared to say the best mobile games and sharing many common ones?
Oh boy, time to get defensive again...

"Gimmicking their systems" With the exception of the Wii U, most of those gimmicks have worked. Remember how well the Wii and DS sold? Gimmicks aren't necessarily a bad thing.

"Shovelling the same games over and over" Just because their titles are formulaic doesn't mean they're bad. Each game is an improvement upon the last, and they each offer something unique. It's not like they're literally releasing the exact same game over and over, but a lot of people seem to say that. I just don't understand this viewpoint. I do agree that they need new IPs, and I'm trying to start playing more non-first party Nintendo games, but really nothing's wrong with Mario/Zelda/etc.

Sorry to have to get so defensive, I just really don't understand this view.

Edit: Think I should also mention that the Switch is confirmed to have good third-party support, based on that dev list.
They think that Nintendo redoing design for every single game is the same as adding new guns and a jetpack in a fps.

tarumbo83

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another thing about not having "too" much power, is game development is cheaper and can be done faster. I wonder how the game prices will be.
This. Honestly I think innovation is more important than power, honestly would you like a console that tries something new and adds an interesting new feature or one that's exactly the same as the last one but with twice the specs or whatever?

Reactions: Deleted User

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

"Gimmicking their systems" With the exception of the Wii U, most of those gimmicks have worked. Remember how well the Wii and DS sold? Gimmicks aren't necessarily a bad thing.

"Shovelling the same games over and over" Just because their titles are formulaic doesn't mean they're bad. Each game is an improvement upon the last, and they each offer something unique. It's not like they're literally releasing the exact same game over and over, but a lot of people seem to say that. I just don't understand this viewpoint. I do agree that they need new IPs, and I'm trying to start playing more non-first party Nintendo games, but really nothing's wrong with Mario/Zelda/etc.

Edit: Think I should also mention that the Switch is confirmed to have good third-party support, based on that dev list.
Its fine to be defensive, I'm here to debate. I don't think they improve anything by franchising. They're just trying to get back to what made those games good in the first place. Like new super mario returning to the side scrolling setup, triforce heroes and four swords, link between worlds and link to the past. And now they have breath of wind that they admitted to basing off of the elder scrolls series. They're just squeezing more money out of a game and trying to balance the magic that brought people there in the first place.

As far as game sales, it didn't hurt that the systems were easily hacked and extremely cheap. I bought three wii's and ran emulators. Can't tell you a wii exclusive I actually got into, they were rather forgettable to me. Skyward sword was one of my least favorites and I already played twilight princess on gamecube, so zelda is out.

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yea, Zelda and Mario aren't Pokemon games (Those pieces of trash should die and go away). The Final Fantasy franchise has been just about every console and still loved by the majority, myself included. But I'm old school so forgive me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tarumbo83

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its fine to be defensive, I'm here to debate. I don't think they improve anything by franchising. They're just trying to get back to what made those games good in the first place. Like new super mario returning to the side scrolling setup, triforce heroes and four swords, link between worlds and link to the past. And now they have breath of wind that they admitted to basing off of the elder scrolls series. They're just squeezing more money out of a game and trying to balance the magic that brought people there in the first place.

As far as game sales, it didn't hurt that the systems were easily hacked and extremely cheap. I bought three wii's and ran emulators. Can't tell you a wii exclusive I actually got into, they were rather forgettable to me. Skyward sword was one of my least favorites and I already played twilight princess on gamecube, so zelda is out.
They're not exclusively "going back to the roots" of the franchises, they're trying different things. For Zelda, we have Triforce Heroes and Link Between Worlds, but we also have Breath of the Wild which goes in an entirely new direction. Mario has NSMB, but they also have 3D Land/World which try a new approach to 3D Mario.

Edit: Also, about what you said about systems being easily hacked, I kind of doubt that many people hack consoles outside of online communities like this, and even those who do don't always do it for piracy. I'd be surprised if piracy has eaten more than 10% of any game's sales, heck even 5%.

Last edited by tarumbo83,
Reactions: WeedZ

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yea, Zelda and Mario aren't Pokemon games (Those pieces of trash should die and go away). The Final Fantasy franchise has been just about every console and still loved by the majority, myself included. But I'm old school so forgive me.

I think Pokemon is pretty good. Lot's of strategies and planning. Just the design is not too good for plots.
Are you talking about ff5 and 6? Cause 6 is the absolute best entry, but no one cares about making a 3d game featuring Terra, Locke, Edgar or Celes, but they did a 3d remake for ff4 sequel. Speaking of which how is ff7 remake going and if it will make it on the switch and when is the 3d ff6 coming?

tarumbo83

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Pokemon is pretty good. Lot's of strategies and planning. Just the design is not too good for plots.
Are you talking about ff5 and 6? Cause 6 is the absolute best entry, but no one cares about making a 3d game featuring Terra, Locke, Edgar or Celes, but they did a 3d remake for ff4 sequel. Speaking of which how is ff7 remake going and if it will make it on the switch and when is the 3d ff6 coming?
I agree, Pokemon is a pretty nice franchise. Planning on getting S/M when it comes out. Haven't played any FF games but I'm starting to want to as part of my efforts to expand what games I play, so I'll be introduced to that soon.

Pokemon9007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Try and stay civil please, i don't care if you don't like Pokemon, but that's just rude and really just makes you an asshole.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I agree, Pokemon is a pretty nice franchise. Planning on getting S/M when it comes out. Haven't played any FF games but I'm starting to want to as part of my efforts to expand what games I play, so I'll be introduced to that soon.

They're all quite good! Final Fantasy, that is. Some are different. Just pick one at random and try it out! If you were to ask me, I'd say FF6 or 7, as those are my personal favs. Or 8, 9, and 10. Those are also very, very nice. And of course, 15's coming next month, and I'm very excited for that!

tarumbo83

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're all quite good! Final Fantasy, that is. Some are different. Just pick one at random and try it out! If you were to ask me, I'd say FF6 or 7, as those are my personal favs. Or 8, 9, and 10. Those are also very, very nice. And of course, 15's coming next month, and I'm very excited for that!
Thanks for the info :)

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Play the steam/ mobile version of ff6, or the gba version if you can tolerate older graphic.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@tarumbo83 Also recommend bravely second. A ff5 successor with ff6's level of story. Bravely Default is mostly good on the gameplay.

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant all the FF games, except maybe FF8.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not impressed. I really wanted to be but I'm not. This just seems like a reboot of the Wii U. Sure the Wii was a reboot of the GameCube but there were enough differences, even graphically that it wasn't so bad. With Switch, it just feels like Nintendo switched architecture just to appease third parties. Unless this thing will be dirt cheap, I can't see myself making the "Switch". The Wii U is damned good. The only other thing I really wanted from Wii U was more home media features. I don't even know what the OS on Switch looks like. Additionally, I'm a fan of motion and touch gaming. I might be in the minority but I like my gimmicks. Switch looks to be trying to appease hardcore gamers...again. I'm just tired of Nintendo trying that. It's worse than Obama trying to get Republicans to work work with him. Shit just isn't going to work. Maybe time will change my feelings but I'm not hype. I feel ripped off.

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try and stay civil please, i don't care if you don't like Pokemon, but that's just rude and really just makes you an asshole.
Because I enjoy a game that has a story with a direction? Pokeshit story is "gotta catch them all". I mean come on, talk about boring.

tarumbo83

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not impressed. I really wanted to be but I'm not. This just seems like a reboot of the Wii U. Sure the Wii was a reboot of the GameCube but there were enough differences, even graphically that it wasn't so bad. With Switch, it just feels like Nintendo switched architecture just to appease third parties. Unless this thing will be dirt cheap, I can't see myself making the "Switch". The Wii U is damned good. The only other thing I really wanted from Wii U was more home media features. I don't even know what the OS on Switch looks like. Additionally, I'm a fan of motion and touch gaming. I might be in the minority but I like my gimmicks. Switch looks to be trying to appease hardcore gamers...again. I'm just tired of Nintendo trying that. It's worse than Obama trying to get Republicans to work work with him. Shit just isn't going to work. Maybe time will change my feelings but I'm not hype. I feel ripped off.
I respect your viewpoint, but if the Switch was trying to please hardcore gamers (assuming you mean the PS4/Xbox/PC crowd) it'd be a generic PS4-like console with specs similar to that. The Switch is underpowered but unique, just like most of Nintendo's consoles in recent history.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...