1. 11,190

Front-page
    Nintendo_Switch_Logo.png

Word that an upgraded Nintendo Switch is in the works has been going around for quite some time. In 2019, The Wall Street Journal reported that Nintendo was working on an "enhanced" Switch version. In 2020, Taiwanese newspaper, United Daily News, and Bloomberg both reported that Nintendo plans "an upgraded model of its Switch" for a release in early 2021. More recently, in early January 2021, ScriesM speculated on some Switch Pro details from datamined information. So a lot is pointing into the direction that such a console might indeed be in the works and online video game outlets are combing the net for any new, juicy details.

The latest report about this cryptic Nintendo Switch Pro relates to its name. Several websites have said that the console's name has been rumored to be leaked following a tweet from a Brazilian reporter. The latter , going by the handle of PH Brazil (@phluttilippe) on the social media platform, responding to another tweet about the new Monster Hunter bundle for the Switch, said that "they wouldn't make such a bundle if better hardware were available. Now we have to wait and see if something happens in the next fiscal year" [editor note: this comes from a translation I obtained via Google Translate]. And he ended his reply by hinting at the better hardware as the "Super Switch".

This mention of the Super Switch was picked up by several online media, which thought that the Nintendo Switch Pro's name was finally revealed. Last year, another Twitter user, Tyler McVicker (@Tyler_McV), also used the "Super Switch" name and this second instance from PH Brazil seemed to confirm this naming as an insider news. However, after those reports went live, PH Brazil replied to at least two tweets (in Portuguese), saying that the "Super Switch" naming is actually how he wished the Switch Pro to be called.

Here, according to translation from Google Translates, PH Brazil writes that "Guys too emotional, man, hahaha. Super Switch is literally just what I wanted him to call it."

In a following tweet, he confirms that it is indeed how he wished the console to be named.

As per translation from Google Translates, PH Brazil here notes that "The guys complicate me, hahaha. I said in another tweet: this is just what I * want * the business to be called :(".

So while the naming of the rumored Switch Pro is still up in the air, how would you liked that console to be named? Do you think that an enhanced version of the Switch will even be released?

2. Discussion (67 replies)

3. JuanMena

JuanMena Politically Incorrect ♥️

Mexico
    Everyone knows it's going to be called:

NEW SUPER NINTENDO SWITCH ALPHA NEW CHALLENGER ULTRA CHAMPIONSHIP ANNIVERSARY EDITION XL PRO 2.

It will be commercialized in Brazil as:

GENESWITCH

You know, traditions.

Last edited by JuanMena, Jan 29, 2021
  4. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner The Edge of the Soul

United States
    Honestly, I'd rather see a Switch 2 with much more punching weight at this point with BC for Switch 1 games. They can't use old hardware; Nintendo, if they wish to stay relevant, needs to go against what's going to be coming from Sony, Microsoft, and other third parties going forward. If they have to release a bunch of ports of older games that can't be put on the service to fund brand new games, so be it. But Nintendo really has some work to do after Tokyo Drifting into a corner that still has promise on a conceptual level, but needs to be given sturdier materials to stand against the storm that will be the current generation of games, and to also remember who got them where they are today and to provide better services on all fronts going forward if they want to have anything resembling the success of the Switch.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  5. fallguy441

fallguy441 Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    here we go again....

6. smileyhead

smileyhead I like cute stuff.

Hungary
    I doubt that means anything to Nintendo. If I remember correctly, they advertised a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe bundle with the old model when the Mariko was already out.

7. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    I know for a fact that it will be called Switch U

rad140, Rafciu, paperycandy and 16 others like this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

The "new super nintendo switch pro ultra extreme portable plus home edition"
    This is how it should be called.

Last edited Jan 28, 2021
  9. JonJaded

JonJaded GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yup. Not to forget that I know people keep bringing up the Mario edition switch as a "debunk" but people forget that was supposed to be launched during Mario WAY during Mario's 35th.

I'd also imagine that a special edition switch like this (not just a color swap) would be in deliberation for quite some time. Getting shapes, and colors on the shells just right and what not. Easily 3+ months, and that completely ignores covid timing. We will see though.

Last edited by JonJaded, Jan 28, 2021
    rad140 and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  10. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Germany
    New Super Nintendo Switch DSi U XL lite
    Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series & Knuckles! New Funky Mode with rumble and ram pack included.
    ...Final Chapter Prologue...

For real tho, unless they fix the joy con drift issue ill likely not bother. Portable gaming is huge for me and nintendos faulty hardware is killing it for me. Wouldnt be as big of an issue if Sony didnt give up after the Vita...

Last edited by XrosBlader821, Jan 28, 2021
  11. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    "Super Switch" yeah i believe that. i believe that he came up with that name all by his wittle self :lol:

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  12. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Nocturnal

Poland
    Switch: Working JoyCons edition.

13. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    "Super Switch" is a term that Brazilian community is using for years now regarding the rumored revised switch. We use this term simply because the Super Nintendo was huge here, way bigger than NES or the Gameboy, so it is kinda the first thing that's come to mind when we hear the word "Nintendo".

14. Heichart

Heichart GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Too bad "Genesis" was sold under the name "Mega Drive" over here.

15. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Vietnam
    So what next? Nintendo Switch Advance? NSi? New Nintendo Switch? New Nintendo Switch XL? SwitchU?

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  16. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

& Knuckles the Echidna

17. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    Nintendo Switch 2: Wrong Number

Scott_pilgrim and GenNaz like this.
  18. PeeJay Bonobo

PeeJay Bonobo Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Well, first off, even though rumors are pointing at a souped up Nintendo Switch that everyone has been waiting for since 2019, NIntendo has to officially reveal it in order for me to believe any of it, naming schemes, specs, everything.

19. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    We all know nintendo needs a new console now that the next gens are out.

But id strongly move away from the cheap crappy switch.

If they make a beefed up version, its games wont benefit as it will still have to run on its older versions.

They should just abandon it and make it its handheld console, then actually make a next gen console with equal hardware so we will get better third party support that nintendont keep promising everytime.

WiiExpertise likes this.
  20. antiNT

antiNT a.k.a Johnny El Pollo Loco

Qatar
    Nintendo Switch Advance sounds nice

Kordru and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  21. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker Owner of the Rock Band Customs Project

United States
    New! Super Nintendo Entertainment Virtual Switch Cube 64 Interactive Color Pocket Extra-Large Advance Special Deluxe Dual-Screen Boy Ultimate + Pro Supreme 4K Supercharged U Mini Ultra Lite & Watch in Two- and Three-Dimensions and Built-In Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality, with Sterling Silver Joy-Cons and Gold-plated Console Dock: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury Edition - Now with Brighter Screens and New Play Controls!!!

...And yes. :P

(Several of the adjectives used here are actual words used by past Nintendo consoles, some of which were abbreviated - I spelled them out to make the title long and ridiculous. The rest I made up myself.)

EDIT: I guess that's all for now. I could add "Featuring the Regginator", but that might be pushing it a bit.

Last edited by HarvHouHacker, Jan 28, 2021 - Reason: Done adding adjectives
    Scott_pilgrim likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo, reported, falsely