Nintendo switch displayed as a red unit

Gugs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I search everywhere on the internet about this topic and I cannot find anything talking about this, does someone know how can I turn it back to black?

Attachments

• 20220924_204048.jpg
    20220924_204048.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Weird, does this mean it is the mario edition motherboard that someone has rehoused? That's the only switch that had the tablet as a separate colour, which was red. (except for the labcon switch but you had to win that one iirc)

I think the toolkit only works with controllers but I could be wrong, my switch died so I have no way to check.

Gugs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Weird, does this mean it is the mario edition motherboard that someone has rehoused? That's the only switch that had the tablet as a separate colour, which was red. (except for the labcon switch but you had to win that one iirc)

I think the toolkit only works with controllers but I could be wrong, my switch died so I have no way to check.
a few time ago my switch bricked and when i rebuilt it (with a donnor nand) the colors of the unit turned red
and yea, joycon toolkit only works with the controllers

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So just the nand huh? Weird that the colour would be stored on the nand, I guess it's easier for ninty cos they can just pop any board into the mario switch with just a standard motherboard.

Either that or maybe the tools you used to rebuild the nand someone affected the colour. I've never rebuilt a nand before so it's just guesswork as to where the switch colour is actually located. I'd assume the colour would be tied to the motherboard serial, but I guess not if you have a standard motherboard.

On the plus side, if you ever want a custom red switch shell, it'll match in software. Not exactly a solution but still.

Unless someone with more knowledge on this knows how to change it, I guess the only way to change it back is to get another nand, from a regular black switch and use that.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So just the nand huh? Weird that the colour would be stored on the nand, I guess it's easier for ninty cos they can just pop any board into the mario switch with just a standard motherboard.

Either that or maybe the tools you used to rebuild the nand someone affected the colour. I've never rebuilt a nand before so it's just guesswork as to where the switch colour is actually located. I'd assume the colour would be tied to the motherboard serial, but I guess not if you have a standard motherboard.

On the plus side, if you ever want a custom red switch shell, it'll match in software. Not exactly a solution but still.

Unless someone with more knowledge on this knows how to change it, I guess the only way to change it back is to get another nand, from a regular black switch and use that.
It's likely just a hex value somewhere in the firmware files. Needs in the haystack situation.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
and how do i change it?
That I don't know. But it will change the checksum of the firmware files, which may or may not be problematic even if you succeed. Some consoles hash their firmware before installing it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, sorry I can't be of more help. One thing you could try though is getting a NAND dump of another stock unit on the same firmware version, and comparing the two dumps in a hex editor. That might be a way to narrow things down to which .nca file needs opened and edited.
Both dumps would need to be formatted/initialized as stock first, though.

Gugs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
ok, i will try that
Post automatically merged:

mmmmmm, the donor nand that i have is the one that made my switch red and i couldnt find any other donor nand so i wont be able to try that
Post automatically merged:

i just have one question: what partition stores the nintendo switch color?

Last edited by Gugs,

Gugs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So, I found out that the colors are stored in the Prodinfo and are generated trough the device id

In prodinfo_gen source code the colors are generated by this code:
1686146239829.png

but I am a noob at C language and I dont understand it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool