Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxzelex It seems the ban I received a couple of weeks back is a 'soft ban'. Went ahead and updated through OFW to 6.1.0 without any problems

Seems I'm banned from just updating games
Indeed, I initially started asking people if bans prevented game updates and now have more than enough confirmation that soft bans now stop game updates which means CDN bans now only prevent system updates.

Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Indeed, I initially started asking people if bans prevented game updates and now have more than enough confirmation that soft bans now stop game updates which means CDN bans now only prevent system updates.

It's great to have all this info, you've done an amazing job with this thread. Hopefully the knowledge will help some people to make more considered decisions before preceding

jacopastorius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I did a search in the whole topic and i am steel confused because i can't find a report similar to my scenario: i am not connecting to internet in any ways but i'd like to use sx os ftp.
Is there anyone that has been banned just for using sx os ftp or ftpd homebrew with other custom fw?

Thinking about it the answer should be no, because i do not connect to th web but just to a server which is my pc...

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a search in the whole topic and i am steel confused because i can't find a report similar to my scenario: i am not connecting to internet in any ways but i'd like to use sx os ftp.
Is there anyone that has been banned just for using sx os ftp or ftpd homebrew with other custom fw?

Thinking about it the answer should be no, because i do not connect to th web but just to a server which is my pc...
If you're using SX OS' Stealth Mode in conjunction with FTP or other homebrew, its impossible to be banned for using it. This is because SX OS' Stealth Mode blocks all of the same functions you would lose as if you were banned. So to check if you are banned, you would have to risk getting banned by disabling their Stealth Mode.

Anyway to answer your question, there are several homebrew-only bans although these seem to have not involved SX OS but there have been several SX OS only bans. However, majority of them involved using either .XCI or .NSP games.

Reactions: peteruk

jacopastorius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you're using SX OS' Stealth Mode in conjunction with FTP or other homebrew, its impossible to be banned for using it. This is because SX OS' Stealth Mode blocks all of the same functions you would lose as if you were banned. So to check if you are banned, you would have to risk getting banned by disabling their Stealth Mode.

Anyway to answer your question, there are several homebrew-only bans although these seem to have not involved SX OS but there have been several SX OS only bans. However, majority of them involved using either .XCI or .NSP games.
Yes, i read of some users that reports ban for using .xci or .nsp games or some others banned for using homebrew, but that always involved internet connection to eshop or even online playing, or internet connection required by hombrews.
So yes, as you said, using ftp with stealth mode should be 100% safe

Saiylem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be clear, when you have gone online for updates and stuff, you never restored a nand backup prior?

Correct. I only backed up the nand to recover from any potential issues, but I've as of yet never needed it.
But I've also never encountered any errors or abnormalities that could be reported to Nintendo from my nand (at least as far as I'm aware.)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I read before on el otro lado one user banned using a clean backup + emunand... so i think the best way to avoid its as first post said restoring clean nand backup every time when u want go online :(

Emunand affects the nand size, which is reported to Nintendo.
I believe that is the likely culprit.

sergux

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I feel like this user might have done something other to his system than only using SXOS + XCI. Like (accidentally) going online in a pirated game, install .NSP files, or use homebrew before creating a backup for example. So far the SXOS users that only use it to play XCI and nothing else seem to be safe. I'm including myself here. I've been using SXOS since june, and I have not yet been banned. Only use it to play .XCI, while having my Wifi settings removed, and being in airplane mode. I update my games by removing my SD card, going into OFW, and downloading the latest updates. I do the same for firmware updates. I'm on the latest firmware now, and I'm still good. I've never done a virgin sysnand restore, although I have made one (I just don't like the hassle of restoring my saves).
i thought the same

Lilcza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was banned about 3 weeks ago. I only used homebrew for occasional emulation purposes ONLY. (I dont have my switch on me right now so i can fill out the form just yet) I upgraded to 6.1.0, ran some homebrew got a error message out the blue, then tried to go online with OFW and bam, switch banned.

I called Nintendo up and to ask what happened, blah blah blah, and the rep said that the bans are handled by a Japanese company that does deep scans of the systems and detect things like homebrew and the like. That Nintendo of Japan takes this seriously, and there is nothing they can do as it has been watched and searched with a thorough investigation by this japanese company.

I was transferred to 3 different reps at the Nintendo USA side but a higher supervisor was needed to even tell me what i was banned for and had to be given permission to do so.

Oh well, time to hack the living hell out this device.

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So I was banned about 3 weeks ago. I only used homebrew for occasional emulation purposes ONLY. (I dont have my switch on me right now so i can fill out the form just yet) I upgraded to 6.1.0, ran some homebrew got a error message out the blue, then tried to go online with OFW and bam, switch banned.

I called Nintendo up and to ask what happened, blah blah blah, and the rep said that the bans are handled by a Japanese company that does deep scans of the systems and detect things like homebrew and the like. That Nintendo of Japan takes this seriously, and there is nothing they can do as it has been watched and searched with a thorough investigation by this japanese company.
I was transferred to 3 different reps at the Nintendo USA side but a higher supervisor was needed to even tell me what i was banned for and had to be given permission to do so.
Oh well, time to hack the living hell out this device.

Japanese company that does deep scans of the systems
Yeah I keep saying here to stop taking nintendo for amateurs, the security of the switch has nothing to do with wii u or 3ds.
Eh nintendo!!!!! I'm here!!!!!
Are you looking for me? Hop I'm already gone.

:gun::psp::sp::nds::switch:

Last edited by KHEOPS,
Reactions: Lilcza

Freezerbomb

Likes tacos
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bans are handled by a Japanese company that does deep scans of the systems and detect things like homebrew and the like.

I remember someone else saying something like this. I wonder if they scan your SD or nand after you get flagged for something (crash report?).

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember someone else saying something like this. I wonder if they scan your SD or nand after you get flagged for something (crash report?).
If that were the case we all would be sitting here with banned consoles. Alot of these bans seem more like user mistakes as simple as failing to disable WiFi when using homebrew

sergux

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Correct. I only backed up the nand to recover from any potential issues, but I've as of yet never needed it.
But I've also never encountered any errors or abnormalities that could be reported to Nintendo from my nand (at least as far as I'm aware.)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Emunand affects the nand size, which is reported to Nintendo.
I believe that is the likely culprit.

You are wrong, Nand size still intact with emunand, i saw one analisys before of a nand dump created by a professional of scene. If nintendo can detect modifications that is for other reasons :D

Last edited by sergux,

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone gotten banned for a backup/restore of a "clean" nand made with ReiNx?
I followed ReiNx guide and it never mentioned anything about hekate.

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, As long as you stay offline, that method is undetectable.
I saw here Someone who couldn't restore his nand with ReinX it doesn't save properly or errors occur during the restoration, which is not the case of hekaté, restored 6 times with hekaté without problem.

TriangularFish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean if the NAND isn't completely clean, then there is always a chance it can get banned. But if you've been lucky enough to stave off a ban so far, your luck just may continue.
Update: I have restored and can still play online and stuff. So about 5 months ago being absurdly reckless and putting in ZERO precautions and even going online with layeredFS then unhacking, and recently rehacking after those 5 months, crashing then going online, layeredFSing (offline this time) then restoring my nand, I have amazingly NOT gotten banned!

Reactions: Draxzelex

Bobbery18

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? N
If you cannot access the eShop, when was the last time/date you were able to? 11/3/18 at around 3am

Did you restore a clean hack-free NAND before going online? Y

Do you get the error code 2181-4008 trying to update your games? Y
Do you get error code 2137-7403 trying to update your system firmware? N
Can you login to Nintendo's website using your linked Nintendo Account? Y
SX OS used? N
Did you make an SX OS EmuNAND with a clean hack-free NAND then stay offline with it? N
Trimmed .XCI? N
Did you connect to the Internet with SX OS and/or to activate the license? Y/N
Did you play any .XCI files online with a certificate/header? N
Do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? N
What do you use Non-SX OS LayeredFS for? N
Did you connect to the Internet with a non-SX OS LayeredFS Inject? N
Played online w/ Non-SX OS Layered FS Injects? N
Did you inject an .XCI certificate using LayeredFS to play online? N
Used DevMenu? N
Installed any .NSP? Y
Did you connect to the Internet w/ any .NSP installed? Y
Did you play any .NSP installed online? N
Did you perform any CDN/Freeshop downloading with your own Switch's certificate? N
Did you update your .XCI/.NSP games online? N
Did you ever use ReiNX? Y
Homebrew/non-SX CFW Used? Y (Atmosphere mainly, but also used ReiNX some)
Connect to Internet with homebrew/non-SX OS CFW? Y (Only right at the start when I booted into CFW to turn on airplane mode)
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? N
AutoRCM? Hekate
Did you update your firmware using ChoiDujour or ChoiDujourNX? N
Did you install the exFAT update offline? N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? Not sure what this is
Do you have eclct disabled (look for pm.kip under sysmodules/modules)? N
Do you have creport enabled (look for a folder named 0100000000000036 under titles)? I have the folder for Atmosphere but I don't think I did anything ever involving this
What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? N
Wi-Fi settings deleted in CFW? Y
Console/Account Region(s) USA
What device(s) do you use to send payloads with? PC laptop
Do you enter RCM by bridging pins 9 & 10 together? N (bridged 1 and 10 I think, but then just used AutoRCM)

Additional Comments
I was on airplane mode with wifi settings deleted and I restored the clean NAND (with hekate) before I booted back into OFW and re-enabled wifi. I'm thinking the ban is either because 1) when I first booted into CFW I did have wifi on and quickly turned airplane mode on, but it was still on for a bit, 2) after I restored the clean NAND, I booted from hekate to the "stock" option in "launch", so I'm not sure if that would have still counted as some sort of mod instead of booting without any kind of RCM first, or 3) I did install one nsp just to test it, but the entire time I installed and used it I'm fairly sure I was offline, but I might have turned off airplane mode once without remembering I still had the nsp installed, so that could be it (I never opened the game while online if I was online, though). I also had AutoRCM on the whole time, but I heard that rarely is the cause of a ban so it probably isn't that. I have been on OFW since I restored the clean NAND and have just been redownloading games onto my new SD card that I archived since then (and was not banned when I doing that), but then woke up today and had a ban all of the sudden, so I'm not really sure what exactly happened.

Edit: Didn't realize what layeredFS actually was but I figured it out and have not used it.

Last edited by Bobbery18,
Reactions: Draxzelex

Vadographer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just banned from online services error code 2124-4007, i have only used homebrew thru hekate and reinx offline, and updated to 6.1.0 without homebrew loaded. when i went to access the eshop after updating to 6.1.0 and updating the joycons (my right joycon is not modified for rcm) my access had been restricted. I only post about this here bc ive never heard of a ban on homebrew users with no nsp or layeredfs activity. ill be filling out a report later today

edit: strike that, i had snipperclips modified to run the FLOG emulator of yesteryear, that may have been the cause although it didnt use layeredfs and i hadnt opened it in months

edit2: my switch now has an issue, every time i turn it off (hold power button, select turn off) it stays on. the joy con stay connected, when i pull them off the sides of the switch they reconnect to the console that should be turned off. i have to hold the power button for around 15 seconds AFTER turning if off the normal way to turn it completely off and disconnect those joy cons

could use whatever help or advice i can get, thanks

Last edited by Vadographer,

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you restore a clean hack-free NAND before going online? Y
When did you make this NAND backup? Did you run any CFW/homebrew before making it? Did you run any CFW/homebrew after making it?
I was just banned from online services error code 2124-4007, i have only used homebrew thru hekate and reinx offline, and updated to 6.1.0 without homebrew loaded. when i went to access the eshop after updating to 6.1.0 and updating the joycons (my right joycon is not modified for rcm) my access had been restricted. I only post about this here bc ive never heard of a ban on homebrew users with no nsp or layeredfs activity. ill be filling out a report later today

edit: strike that, i had snipperclips modified to run the FLOG emulator of yesteryear, that may have been the cause although it didnt use layeredfs and i hadnt opened it in months
Can you fill out the ban report form in the OP so I can better log the data?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: