Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to switch to the ofw just to play original games online. You just need to plugin your game cartridge to enjoy online play.

Nobody can say this for sure. It may very well be possible for Nintendo to detect SX OS / CFW. Switching to OFW to play online should be a safer bet, although with logs and telemetry there's nothing definite.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of you may not have noticed it but I'll make a general announcement here. Been meaning to make some of these changes ever since I started it but I put it off in favor of collecting data faster. I've updated a lot of things in this project just recently! If I could give version numbers to my revisions, this would be the equivalent of V2.0
  • The Google Doc Spreadsheet has been massively revamped. The order of all categories have been moved to reflect more ban-worthy data as you move from left to right. Category titles have also been renamed and shrunk to make the viewing experience more pleasurable.
  • Answers to certain questions have been slightly altered. Instead of marking everything with a Y, certain answers are marked with their respective remarks. For example, for those who updated backups in OFW or CFW, the Y is removed and now Y only remains to indicate people who have not yet specified
  • Using non-TX AutoRCM (rajkoto's briccmii aka Hekate AutoRCM) is marked as blue. While there have been some battery drainage issues reported with TX's AutoRCM and the lack of evidence that using rajkosto's briccmii alone can lead to a ban, I have decided to "upgrade" this type of AutoRCM to blue.
  • Both questionnaires as well as the Semi-Official Ban Form have been updated to reflect the above changes and make everyone's lives easier for data collection and inputting purposes. Not to mention all of the Tabs in the OP are updated as well.
  • I have decided to stop asking users if they injected certs using LayeredFS due to the data not supporting any inherently added ban risk as well as the general consensus that LayeredFS can lead to a ban. To not make the collection of this data in vain, it can be located under the Tab "Removed Categories"
  • Renamed the Trimmed XCI Tab into the "Potential Categories" Tab as a way to welcome new categories without clogging up the other one with unconfirmed risks. If and when something in there is confirmed to induce a ban on its own, it will be migrated with the rest of the data.

Last edited by Draxzelex,

Spy Pirate Shado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now Nintendo bans everyone for everything.
Once you started sxos youre fucked when you go online.
Do a nand Backup BEFORE starting anything, then you can maybe avoid a ban in the future.

Again, stay offline or Nintendo will ban you.

It might help if you clarify what you're saying a little if you're going to give advice and to stay away from blanket statements. What matters is that we don't know exactly how Nintendo decides you're going to be banned, and the data collected so far doesn't point to anything concrete. The only way to be 100% sure you won't be banned is to not modify the software in any way.

As you pointed out, the safest possible option if you want to modify software until we know more is to backup your NAND and restore it if you plan to go online.

The hyperbole doesn't help anyone looking for answers, and starting SXOS isn't a definitive ban, despite what some people have reported.

What IS clear is that if you launch SXOS and connect to the internet regularly while within SXOS (just as an example) you shouldn't be surprised if you're banned someday and that goes for every other modified software being run with an active internet connection.

There's nothing specifically that points to spooky offline logs being used other than speculation based mostly on "feeling that I didn't do anything wrong". What I've seen from tweets, developers, etc. is mostly summarized as "hey we don't know if Nintendo has other logs they didn't point out explicitly in Horizon, so if you get banned by using our stuff it could be because we didn't know they were being created! Welcome to the early days of a console being hacked, and the ascension from incompetence that Nintendo has shown since the 3DS and Wii U!". I find this totally understandable because we simply don't know for sure, and they would feel bad if they didn't mention it and their creations (totally unrelated to piracy) led to bans.

Now that I've finally gotten that last paragraph off my chest, for fuck's sake can someone point me to a source where everything I just said is wrong? If not, can we as a community stop spreading so much FUD?

Reactions: ganbare

lufeig

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Banned: Y/N: N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked: Y/N: Y
Downloaded with CDN: Y/N: N

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online: X.X.X/N: I never cleared my logs current firmware 5.1.0
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings: Y/N: Y
SX OS used: Y/N: Y
SX OS used while online: Y/N: N
Played online SX OS Backups: Y/N: N
Layered FS Used: Y/N: N
Layered FS Used while online: Y/N: N
Played online Layered FS Injects: Y/N: N
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used: Y/N N
Connect to Internet with homebrew/CFW: Y/N: N
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew: Y/N: N
Played with Layered FS Injects with Own Cert.: Y/N: N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch: Y/N: Y (I use it daily only on OFW with owned games)
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device: Y/N: Y
Backups updated: Y/N (CFW or OFW): Y (OFW)
Wi-Fi settings deleted: Y/N: Y
Airplane mode: Y/N: N
AutoRCM: TX/Hekate Y?N: N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware): 1.2
Trimmed .XCI: Y/N: Y
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings: Y/N: N
Less Fuses Burnt than Expected: Y/N: N
Region: Brazil

Reactions: Draxzelex

mylesofsmiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2124-4025 is a certificate ban meaning that unique certificate is not allowed to go online
2124-4007 is a console ban meaning the console is not allowed to go online anymore
Yes, there is a big difference between a console ban and a certificate ban but its interesting how they banned both (meaning they knew you injected mismatched certificates). Anyways, if you get a chance you can try loading the eShop from a computer to see if you're account is banned since that has not been confirmed yet.
I am not sure what you mean by loading eShop from a computer. As far as I can tell, no such option exists. I logged into My Nintendo though and my purchase history shows up along with my profile and gold coins. I went to the Nintendo Game Store and tried sending a demo version of Sushi Striker to my Switch with no luck. I don't think the ban affects my account in any way because I use the same account on my New 3DS XL and it works the same as it always has. Hope this helps, is there anything else you would like me to look into? Remember kids, NEVER buy digital games for your Switch because if Nintendo bans you like they banned me and you subsequently break your Switch then it is pretty much game over!

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I take it you didn't take a look at the updated form in the OP where I changed the order of certain questions, added some new ones, and removed one. But I still logged all of your responses so if you want to contribute some more, the new questions just ask if you used DevMenu to install any .NSPs via SX OS V1.3

I am not sure what you mean by loading eShop from a computer. As far as I can tell, no such option exists. I logged into My Nintendo though and my purchase history shows up along with my profile and gold coins. I went to the Nintendo Game Store and tried sending a demo version of Sushi Striker to my Switch with no luck. I don't think the ban affects my account in any way because I use the same account on my New 3DS XL and it works the same as it always has. Hope this helps, is there anything else you would like me to look into? Remember kids, NEVER buy digital games for your Switch because if Nintendo bans you like they banned me and you subsequently break your Switch then it is pretty much game over!
That's what I was asking for. If your still able to download stuff from their website with your Nintendo Account, it means your account is not banned but your console is. Not sure how else I could word this particular question though.

Reactions: lufeig

mylesofsmiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I was asking for. If your still able to download stuff from their website with your Nintendo Account, it means your account is not banned but your console is. Not sure how else I could word this particular question though.
I tried launching a new backup for the first time. I was shocked to find out that even though I am banned I am still able to download game updates!

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried launching a new backup for the first time. I was shocked to find out that even though I am banned I am still able to download game updates!
This is normal behavior since without game updates, certain games may not function. For example, if you updated your game and have made a save after updating but by accident removed the update data, the game will no longer be able to play. This is treated as a gratuity by Nintendo since the ban comes from violating their Terms of Service (not breaking the law). You can also update your system firmware while banned.

Midnightkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Ban? N
If Yes, provide proof (video preferred)
SX used? Y
SX used while online? Y sometimes
Played SX Backups online? Y sometimes
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.2
Non-TX Layered FS Used? N
Non-TX Layered FS Used while online? N
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? N
Used DevMenu? Y
Installed any .NSP? Y
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? Y
Did you play any .NSP installed online? N
CDN Downloading? N
Backups updated? CFW Y
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y(Specify homebrew used/crashes)
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/CFW? Y
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? Y
AutoRCM? N
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked? N
What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? Y: X.X.X/N
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? Y
Wi-Fi settings deleted? N
Airplane mode? Y
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? Y
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? Not tested
Console/Account Region(s) EU
Trimmed .XCI? N

Last edited by Midnightkey,

droxy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ban? Y
If Yes, provide proof (video preferred):
20180626_182515.jpg
SX used? N
Non-TX Layered FS Used? Y
Non-TX Layered FS Used while online? Y
Used DevMenu? N
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? N
CDN Downloading? N
Backups updated? N
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y (retroarch,crashed)
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? N
AutoRCM? N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked? N (Is now via nintendo account option)
What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? N
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? N
Airplane mode? N
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? Y
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? N
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? Y
Console/Account Region(s) UK (EUR)
Trimmed .XCI? N

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ban? Y
If Yes, provide proof (video preferred):
View attachment 134713
SX used? N
Non-TX Layered FS Used? Y
Non-TX Layered FS Used while online? Y
Used DevMenu? N
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? N
CDN Downloading? N
Backups updated? N
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y (retroarch,crashed)
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? N
AutoRCM? N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked? N (Is now via nintendo account option)
What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? N
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? N
Airplane mode? N
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? Y
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? N
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? Y
Console/Account Region(s) UK (EUR)
Trimmed .XCI? N
Has anyone actually called Nintendo to see what they say?

droxy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone actually called Nintendo to see what they say?
I emailed them, escalated to there "dedicated team". Replied "it was noticed the system was modified and sending altered data to our servers. For that reason the system was permanently banned and this decision is final."

Jokes on them had the switch for less than a year, so put garbage in my nand backup, restored it to deliberately brick my console. Took it back to the shop, confirmed it was faulty, exchanged it for a new one! :lol:

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know now it’s illegal for Nintendo to use warranty stickers and screws now on the systems in the USA. They can’t use it as a reason to not repair a unit

Absintu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I emailed them, escalated to there "dedicated team". Replied "it was noticed the system was modified and sending altered data to our servers. For that reason the system was permanently banned and this decision is final."

Jokes on them had the switch for less than a year, so put garbage in my nand backup, restored it to deliberately brick my console. Took it back to the shop, confirmed it was faulty, exchanged it for a new one! :lol:
If this didn't have a screen u would use the microwave oven trick :)

Reactions: Zonark

Hib0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
How do i check if i have been banned? Is it possible to do without going online on OFW of course.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? Y: X.X.X/N
Did you clear error logs or not? If you did, on what firmwares?
How do i check if i have been banned? Is it possible to do without going online on OFW of course.
You must be on the latest firmware to check if you are banned and then either try to play a game online or use the eShop.

lufeig

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I take it you didn't take a look at the updated form in the OP where I changed the order of certain questions, added some new ones, and removed one. But I still logged all of your responses so if you want to contribute some more, the new questions just ask if you used DevMenu to install any .NSPs via SX OS V1.3

sorry for my lack of attention! please find the updated form below:

Ban? Y/N N
If Yes, provide proof (video preferred)
SX used? Y/N Y
SX used while online? Y/N N
Played SX Backups online? Y/N N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.2 offline only
Non-TX Layered FS Used? Y/N N
Non-TX Layered FS Used while online? Y/N N
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? Y/N N

Used DevMenu? Y/N N
Installed any .NSP? Y/N N
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? Y/N N
Did you play any .NSP installed online? Y/N N
CDN Downloading? Y/N N
Backups updated? CFW/OFW/N OFW
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y/N (Specify homebrew used/crashes) N
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/CFW? Y/N N
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? Y/N N
AutoRCM? TX/Hekate/N N
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? Y/N N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked? Y/N Y

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? Y: X.X.X/N N
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? Y/N Y
Wi-Fi settings deleted? Y/N Y
Airplane mode? Y/N N
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? Y/N N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? Y/N Y
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? Y/N Y

Console/Account Region(s) Brazil
Trimmed .XCI? Y/N Y
Additional Comments None

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
Been using SX OS in airplane mode. I want to switch to official os and download an eshop game but im scared of teh ban
If you are scared of being online to download from eShop then you're already banned... I'm still not banned, SX OS Wi-Fi on, updating games directly on my home screen while being on SX, starting to think I'm not gonna get banned using the switch the way I use it.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol