Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

Cencil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's too many variables to determine why people's Switches were banned. Nintendo could have added some accounts on the high priority banned list simply because they never bought or registered any games. I remember my 3DS was never banned despite doing things that get others banned. I bought ALOT of games on the 3DS before I installed CFW. I could be on Nintendo's VIP list, banning such account from the eShop is bad for business.
Hah I hope that's the case..considering I still do/will buy physical and digital games despite having SX OS purchased. I play Paladins online all the time so getting banned would suck for me.

D

DeletedMember411838

This is still speculation!

Here's my speculation that I came up with straight out of my butt: I have seen plenty of reports here (not that this is even meaningful given the low sample data) that someone got banned within 10 minutes of doing something that they think triggered the ban, for the first time since whenever. So, went on eshop, browsed, downloaded a demo or something, then turned off internet or just did whatever else, and 10 minutes later they were banned. If this is the case, this indicates the complete opposite of what you're saying, which is that people could be being banned soon after being initially flagged for a ban. Which is wholly different than the idea of "do something bannable, put you in a pool and ban people randomly to spook everyone".

This isn't like banning users of a well known Diablo 3 or WoW bot, where it makes sense to not ban you as soon as they detect something which could give you information on what exactly they're detecting about the bot. We have complete control over what we do with our switches, and due to the nature of what homebrew and CFW we have hacked together so far, we're still using a lot of Nintendo's code so when you connect online, you PROBABLY don't want to be currently running in the background a hacked up mishmash of Nintendo's game browser/eshop/settings men and our beloved album/homebrew/SXOS crashfest.

If they're seriously logging something while using the CFW on internal memory to be uploaded when we connect in the future and randomly deciding who to screw any given day then we're probably all doomed anyway.

I think they are just randomly banning to instill fear into the community.

They don't want to ban thousands of switches they would rather scare straight those they can.

They are 100% logging stuff done on CFW and uploading it later. That isn't speculation that is reality, whether they are banning for that yet or not is speculation.

Every Dev thus far as datamined and watched this logs record and send, that isn't a question.

The game also sends it's games Certs when playing online or just running it, that is also a reality. Those things are not specualtion we know these things for a fact about the system.

Whether they are currently banning for that, is speculation however.

Last edited by ,

xxBLACKBEARDxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
  • I've now updated some things to the questionnaire after reviewing everyone's suggestions (two will be in their own category for now). This includes asking for crashes due to homebrew (under homebrew/non-TX CFW), specifying whether or not logs were cleared before going online without CFW/homebrew, comments section, and fuse mismatches (due to SX OS 1.2 supporting anti-fuse burning and fuse bypassing).
  • @xxBLACKBEARDxx is now the first person to have been unbanned as of June 24th but now banned as of June 25th. Other notable things including SX OS only but with some homebrew. If you are reading this xxBLACKBEARDxx, please specify the homebrew utilized as well as any crashes you encountered.
This is purely speculation, but it could be due to not causing paranoia. With potential reports of being bricked and banned, it would make most people NOT want to hack their console (which is the opposite of what GBATemp wants).

Added to the questionnaire under homebrew/non-TX CFW so it won't be its own category for now. If a trend begins developing, it will become its own column for easier viewing purposes. Also, I've went ahead and contact the homebrew only banned users for further clarification.

Thank you. It is now made much clearer what the user action is in order to further determine its safety/risk.

LayeredFS has been denounced by everyone and even one of the Switch's most prominent hackers. Needless to say, anyone and everyone who has used LayeredFS is already at a huge enough risk due to many other factors. On an unrelated note, your suggestion made me decide to add if fuses are not properly burned due to SX OS 1.2 now bypassing the fuse check.

Did you update backups in CFW or OFW and which type of AutoRCM did you use? TX or Hekate?
I did custom saves for xenoblade chronicle 2
And I used that method to play online a lot(prbably too much)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/xecuter-sx-os-play-online-titles-using-cert-from-another-game.508357/

hipmp5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Here crashed once on sudoku homebrew and on xenoblade 2 (original game) hekate on, like i Said no Ban ter.

evega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Banned: N
Downloaded with CDN: N
Used nx-dreport prior to going online in pure OFW:
Gone online 3 timed, first No, the rest yes (2/3)
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings: Y
SX OS used: N
SX OS used while online: N
Played online SX OS Backups: N
Layered FS Used: N
Layered FS Used while online: N
Played online Layered FS Injects: N
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used: Y
Connect to Internet with homebrew/CFW: Y
To download homebrew apps, never accessed eshop or got in Nintendo games while in homebrew.
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew: N
Played with Layered FS Injects with Own Cert.: N
Can you access the eShop: Y
Backups updated: N
Wi-Fi settings deleted: N
Airplane mode: Y
Not always, as I said I turned wifi on sometimes to download homebrew apps. But never got online in a game in CFW
AutoRCM: N
Lowest SX OS Version used when Online: N
Auto-Update Software: N
Less Fuses Burnt than Expected: N
Additional Comments

I never opened a game that wasn't homebrew (Emulators) while online, got 3 crashes and wifi was turned on for approx 10 min while in homebrew.

Reactions: Draxzelex

moneychild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On Saturday, with my WiFi being on all the time,
Installed SX OS in my 4.1 switch and used home brew to edit botw save.
I accedentially updated my switch to 5.1 I think.
So since I had an updated switch I went online with Splatoon that I brought from amazon.
Then I installed SX OS again and then used Eshop to update Kirby which I brought from amazon and some other games. I also downloaded some demos.

So I have not been banned yet.

I plan to actually buy the pro SX OS because getting into RCM mode and delivering the payload is trouble some for me on a PC.

As of Sunday night, like at 11:45pm, I have not been banned yet.(keep in mind that my WiFi was on the whole time Saturday and Sunday)

Sorry if I did not following your reporting rules. I’m on my lunch break and I just happen to stumble upon this tread and decided to contribute.

evega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
On Saturday, with my WiFi being on all the time,
Installed SX OS in my 4.1 switch and used home brew to edit botw save.
I accedentially updated my switch to 5.1 I think.
So since I had an updated switch I went online with Splatoon that I brought from amazon.
Then I installed SX OS again and then used Eshop to update Kirby which I brought from amazon and some other games. I also downloaded some demos.

So I have not been banned yet.

I plan to actually buy the pro SX OS because getting into RCM mode and delivering the payload is trouble some for me on a PC.

As of Sunday night, like at 11:45pm, I have not been banned yet.(keep in mind that my WiFi was on the whole time Saturday and Sunday)

Sorry if I did not following your reporting rules. I’m on my lunch break and I just happen to stumble upon this tread and decided to contribute.

These bans seem to be manual since people with extreme caution have been banned, this case is interesting

MitsukiUchiwa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
@Draxzelex to make it a biiiit clearer : I had to Switch : mine, and my friend's.
I used LayeredFS on his Switch, with his NNID and I used homebrews (GBA Emulator and +/- every available homebrew). I was offline with his switch, and we tried to download an archived game (Octopath) through Horizon (we never had any errors with Hekate or RomFS) and then he got banned.
On my Switch I used my NNID and I was in airplane mode when I went into SX OS to play my backups. Then I went into OFW and tried to update them, it worked, but when I went to the eShop, I got banned...

Edit : Idk if it can help, but I'm using my PC as a wifi hotspot since my switch can't stay connected to my router.

Last edited by MitsukiUchiwa,
Reactions: V-Temp

whostolemywaffle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Used any CDN Downloader: N
Unchecked "Send Errors" in Menu: Y
Cleared Error Logs prior to going Online with nx-dreport: Y
SX OS used offline: y
SX OS used online: N
Played with SX Backups online: N
Layered FS Used offline: Y
Layered FS Used online: N
Played with Layered FS Injects online: N
Homebrew Offline: Y
Connect internet with homebrew: N
Connect to eShop during CFW: N
Played with Layered FS Injects with OwnCert.: Y
Does the Eshop work: N
Backups updated: N
WiFi settings deleted: N
Airplane mode: Y
AutoRCM: N
SX OS Version used when Online: 1.1
Auto Game Update/Downloads deactivated: Y

how do u even get banned if you never went online?

moneychild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI....I really don’t care about playing games online anymore so I will do keep doing potentially banable things until I do.
I plan to give all my purchased games to a friend also so no more Splatoon for me.

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if it's possible to know if you're banned without using the internet on your Switch? Like, say for example is access to your MyNintendo account revoked on a web browser?

I don't think I personally would be banned as I used H̶e̶k̶a̶t̶e̶ (Or was it Fusée Gelée) when the Homebrew Channel was first released and have never used SX OS or LayeredFS yet. Would be interesting if there is a way and a possible check for people before braving going online on their possibly 'backup' enabled Switch's.

Last edited by Ian095,

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just a heads-up: it really seems that 5.x.x has better telemetry tools, so that's maybe why dreport (in it's current version) isnt doing the whole job, or worse, it's making it more suspicious for Nintendo servers

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: Draxzelex and Kioku

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It apparently makes room for huge inconsistencies in error reporting. So, I'd say either way you're sol.
Damn... I hope someone somehow finds away to protect us from a ban although the chances are slim. Would probably want that over Atmosphere at this point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By your powers combined, hmmm where is Epstein?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just another shit fps clone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought it was some warzone dlc bs
    Looks like an enhanced Far cry 1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's a far cry from it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it a free to play bs, pay to get any good weapon/gear
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not free to play but $35
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yikes