Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bummer! i guess im up next. ive been playing my own backups and just starting playing advance wars with vba next last night :x

The issue seems to be SX OS, if you're not using it, you will be safe.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hm. Wonder if the hammer will come full swing in September?

In terms of bans, I don't think there's going to be a "full swing" either you're already banned or will be in time as its a daily thing now.

What I expect next is actually a crackdown on the eShop/CDN abuse when they do the next eShop maintenance. They're well enough aware of the exploit just as they were with the cart certificate abuse, and the latter has now become exceedingly unsafe and leading to cart cert bans more quickly which escalate to full console bans afterwards.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The issue seems to be SX OS, if you're not using it, you will be safe.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In terms of bans, I don't think there's going to be a "full swing" either you're already banned or will be in time as its a daily thing now.

What I expect next is actually a crackdown on the eShop/CDN abuse when they do the next eShop maintenance. They're well enough aware of the exploit just as they were with the cart certificate abuse, and the latter has now become exceedingly unsafe and leading to cart cert bans more quickly which escalate to full console bans afterwards.
They're picking us off slowly but surely. Of course there's those that may be marked, but aren't banned yet. Also, we haven't seen any updates that may mitigate the issues. So, yes, "full swing" (en masse bans) is entirely possible and plausible. What they're planning is up in the air, and rather daunting.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're picking us off slowly but surely. Of course there's those that may be marked, but aren't banned yet. Also, we haven't seen any updates that may mitigate the issues. So, yes, "full swing" (en masse bans) is entirely possible and plausible. What they're planning is up in the air, and rather daunting.

I guess what I'd doubt is who's left to 'mass ban'? They've already swept up a huge chunk of this community which is going to extrapolate out to a large swathe of any general community of uninformed people using SX OS or other tools.

The mass ban I see on the horizon is for those who are abusing the CDN directly. But that would be like a ban of banned users, so double-ban. Banception?

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Quick banning question (I didn't want to be untidy and make a separate thread)

A couple of days back I unlinked my NNID and by extension cannot access the eShop

How will I even know if I've been banned ? Will I need to relink just to find out and then of course be stuck with being unable to unlink again because of the ban ?

I had read a post in one of the many threads on here that someone was unable to unlink their NNID once banned, unclear if this is true or not

Thanks in advance for constructive support

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick banning question (I didn't want to be untidy and make a separate thread)

A couple of days back I unlinked my NNID and by extension cannot access the eShop

How will I even know if I've been banned ? Will I need to relink just to find out and then of course be stuck with being unable to unlink again because of the ban ?

I had read a post in one of the many threads on here that someone was unable to unlink their NNID once banned, unclear if this is true or not

Thanks in advance for constructive support
Firstly, thank you for coming here and not making a new thread! That is another reason why I made this masterpiece after all.

Moving on, you cannot check if you are banned without a Nintendo Account because all of the services you gain/lose access to if you are banned or not require a Nintendo Account. The solution is simple however. Simply make another Nintendo Account that is not tied to any of your purchases. As for what you saw, it is not impossible as far as I know but not easy either. The only way I know how is by asking Nintendo themselves to unlink it which I have explained numerous times can be advantageous to them so Nintendo may just unlink it for you.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, thank you for coming here and not making a new thread! That is another reason why I made this masterpiece after all.

Moving on, you cannot check if you are banned without a Nintendo Account because all of the services you gain/lose access to if you are banned or not require a Nintendo Account. The solution is simple however. Simply make another Nintendo Account that is not tied to any of your purchases. As for what you saw, it is not impossible as far as I know but not easy either. The only way I know how is by asking Nintendo themselves to unlink it which I have explained numerous times can be advantageous to them so Nintendo may just unlink it for you.

Appreciate the answer, thank you

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess what I'd doubt is who's left to 'mass ban'? They've already swept up a huge chunk of this community which is going to extrapolate out to a large swathe of any general community of uninformed people using SX OS or other tools.

The mass ban I see on the horizon is for those who are abusing the CDN directly. But that would be like a ban of banned users, so double-ban. Banception?

Well, the spreadsheet currently only shows 105 banned users. That's not really that huge of a chunk, considering this thread alone has over 100k views and 900 replies. I'm sure there are other bans out there that aren't on this spreadsheet, but this is still nothing compared to the amount of users caught in the 3DS banwaves.

I've mentioned it probably a dozen times by now, but only one of these users have been banned solely for using homebrew, and they were using nx-dreport to clear their logs. I personally have been using nx-dreport every boot for about as long as I've known about it, and still haven't been banned. Some people say that clearing the logs is dangerous, but based on our current sample I really don't see enough evidence to prove that, the one user banned for "home-brew-only" was a noob that to this day only has 3 posts.

If Nintendo really wanted to bring down the banhammer, there's probably hundreds if not thousands of users that they haven't cracked down on yet, and there's multiple ways they could easily do it.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, maybe I should consider changing those who clear error logs to blue since I do agree that it is very unclear whether it is safe or not (at least for those who don't do it on 5.X).

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the spreadsheet currently only shows 105 banned users. That's not really that huge of a chunk, considering this thread alone has over 100k views and 900 replies. I'm sure there are other bans out there that aren't on this spreadsheet, but this is still nothing compared to the amount of users caught in the 3DS banwaves.

105 is a lot, and the number of views and posts isn't indicative of anything unless you break down post distribution.

QRC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's not alot. Usually people on visit forums if they have something to complain about...or get something for free ;)

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be worth making a new thread just to discuss what could have went wrong. There was this other weird case where someone was unable to play their installed games (banned error code), reinstalled them through eXhop, and magically was able to play them online again.
I got pokemon for the dev menu and I've updated my games online without problems and installed some nsp's but no errors yet. I haven't even tried to play anything online because I have no desire to. I'll buy those games for my "clean" console. But these few messages made me disable wifi which I was using to transfer games with ftp. Need to keep an eye on this.

Reactions: Draxzelex

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not alot. Usually people on visit forums if they have something to complain about...or get something for free ;)

Most people don't use forums even if they have to complain. But sample sizes like a forum can give you an idea of general trends, yes it will be biased, but you can account for it. And while we may get more reports because those banned are more likely to complain, we also have a counter bias in that our general users is at least an iota more savvy than your random 'free gaemz!' user.

If a very large number of users are banned on GBATemp, then still a significant but probably less biased-% of users are also getting banned daily much to their surprise. Some of those users come here and find out they got banned or make new accounts to say so.

Some don't ever. I noted a few weeks back how a friend of mine selling SX-prehacked units has had multiple already banned, and since my post that number is now five banned Switches. I'd be surprised if the majority of pirates/SX users aren't already banned, they sure seem to be on here and here we have far more careful and aware users.

Last edited by V-Temp,

JimblesGBA

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ban? N
If Yes, provide proof (video preferred)
SX used? Y
SX used while online? Y
Played SX Backups online? N
Do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? Latest 1.3
Non-TX Layered FS Used? N
Non-TX Layered FS Used while online? N
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? N

Used DevMenu? Y
Installed any .NSP? Y
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? Y
Did you play any .NSP installed online? N
CDN Downloading? Y
Backups updated? Y OFW
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y (FTP and a bunch of random emulators)
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/non-TX CFW? Y
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? Y
AutoRCM? TX
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? Y

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? Cleared logs on latest firmware 3 times.
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? Y
Wi-Fi settings deleted? Y
Airplane mode? Y
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? Y
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? Y

Console/Account Region(s) EU (UK)
Trimmed .XCI? Y
Additional Comments Play trimmed xci files and .NSP offline. Go online on OFW to play online games such as MK8. Have made another user account that is not linked to a Nintendo Account so games aren't put on my play history on my main user account.

Last edited by JimblesGBA,

tricursor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxzelex: Some data I've found myself wanting is "First date/time used", "Last date/time used" (maybe even per stat, like date/time you first and last used sx os, homebrew, cleared errors, etc), and "Date/Time the ban was first noticed." I wonder if we can gauge how long it takes from that, because I've seen people say it's been a month and they haven't been banned and some that seem to happen day-of. It also might uncover some data on what triggers an immediate auto-ban (if such a thing exists).

Another thought I've had is about data reporting to Nintendo. Has anybody managed to capture the data sent to Nintendo or what triggers these events? And if so, is this sent via https or http and is it easily decipherable? I wonder if plugging in USB devices (like the SX device) triggers an event, and that's why we're seeing so many of these reports with only SX. I might set up a mirror port coming off my WAP and see if I can do various things to trigger it.

Last edited by tricursor,

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxzelex: Some data I've found myself wanting is "First date/time used", "Last date/time used" (maybe even per stat, like date/time you first and last used sx os, homebrew, cleared errors, etc), and "Date/Time the ban was first noticed." I wonder if we can gauge how long it takes from that, because I've seen people say it's been a month and they haven't been banned and some that seem to happen day-of. It also might uncover some data on what triggers an immediate auto-ban (if such a thing exists).
I agree this would be very useful information but lets be honest here, not many of us remember the first time we did anything or the last time. There would be too many blank rows. I do let people make whatever comments they do and I leave them there (some people have used SX OS or Hekate since day one and they're noted). Someone else did want to make visible the day that people got banned since currently I only list days that person was last seen not banned (it would take a while for me to update because there's 100 names to go through).

tricursor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree this would be very useful information but lets be honest here, not many of us remember the first time we did anything or the last time. There would be too many blank rows. I do let people make whatever comments they do and I leave them there (some people have used SX OS or Hekate since day one and they're noted). Someone else did want to make visible the day that people got banned since currently I only list days that person was last seen not banned (it would take a while for me to update because there's 100 names to go through).

That is a very good point. I'll fill this out for now.

Ban? N
If Yes, provide proof (video preferred)
SX used? Y
SX used while online? Y (only during license activation)
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.3

Used DevMenu? N
Installed any .NSP? N
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? N
CDN Downloading? N
Backups updated? N
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? N (Specify homebrew used/crashes)
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/non-TX CFW? N
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? N
AutoRCM? TX
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? N (don't have "Other Settings"?)

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? N
Wi-Fi settings deleted? N
Airplane mode? N
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? Y
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? Y

Console/Account Region(s): US/NTSC
Trimmed .XCI? N
Additional Comments:

I first used SX on 07/14, and stopped using it within a half hour. Didn't do anything except activate the license.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Added a poll now so people don't have to post in this thread about what I asked about earlier. I will probably be using it more often on certain things similar to this in the future. For now, this new poll will close in 1 week. If there is a tie for first, I will remove both options by default.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ban? Y
ban message upon entering eshop
SX used? Y
SX used while online? N never played anything since getting SXOS not even fornite,though yes on updating
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.0, currently 1.3

Used DevMenu? Y
Installed any .NSP? Y
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? installed yes used online no
CDN Downloading? N
Backups updated? CFW
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/non-TX CFW? Y
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? N
AutoRCM? Hekate Cacear mod
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? y (both)

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? N
Wi-Fi settings deleted? N
Airplane mode? Y (sometimes)
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? ?
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? N
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? will update when known

Console/Account Region(s)USA(console) EU and JP (accounts)
Trimmed .XCI?
Additional Comments: do i give a sh!t?:N XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge