Nintendo respond to email regarding region locking

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by OldClassicGamer, Mar 15, 2013.

1. OldClassicGamer
    OP

Member OldClassicGamer GBAtemp Regular

Japan

Watch my video where I explain what Nintendo told me themselves in email. Now this means that they could do it with software update but we don't know if they want to do it or not

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    No they won't cuz Ninty want to maxamize their profits.

BAHIM Z 360 likes this.
  3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Or you could show us the e-mail they sent you so that we don't have to watch the video. :)

McHaggis, tbgtbg, BAHIM Z 360 and 4 others like this.
  4. OldClassicGamer
    OP

Japan
    In video, I captured screenshot of mail so you can just pause video and read it for yourself if you want

5. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    DON'T MIND ME, JUST POSTING IN THE WORST THREAD I HAVE EVER SEEN

6. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Still, even if they COULD do this, the chances of them actually doing it are pretty low. After all, profits are everything to a company and if they think they can make more money by leaving the region lock in place, they sure as hell won't remove it.
    Edit: Oh, you just got a mail saying "yeah we'll forward it to higher ups" which is probably business speak for "no way son".

porkiewpyne likes this.
  7. OldClassicGamer
    OP

Japan
    You do have right. They want to make more money by making people buy their console 2 times, or even 3 times if you wnat to get hands on some europian games. I still however like sony more because they no longer lock consoles, but I do understand why is Nintendo doing it. They need money.

8. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    *sighs, then checks it*

Okay, so if I understand correctly, a Nintendo Helpline guy told you that your concerns will be forwarded... which means nothing in the grand scheme of things - they won't remove the region lock. :P

I also can't help by notice the "Japanese voiceacting DLC" request to on which I can only comment in the following fashion: "If you don't understand Japanese, why would you even want that? If you do understand Japanese, why did you buy the U.S./EUR console rather than the Japanese one? ;O;".

I sincerely doubt that either of those things will be released to be honest, the Helpline lads are there to handle customer complaints, they have no real power.

9. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Lol the amount of money Nintendo makes from people who import their 3DS's as well as owning a 3DS of their own region is almost non existent, it's not the reason why the lock was implemented. The lock is there to have better regional control over demand, supply and sales. They want to make sure their localized games turn into a profit without people in Europe importing games from the US because a game is cheaper and released much earlier. It's about making their work more efficient.

jalaneme and porkiewpyne like this.
  10. OldClassicGamer
    OP

Japan
    I do understand Japanese a little bit but thats not the point. The point is I want Japanese voices because:

1. I always play games in original language. If game is made by American company, I play it on English with English voices (Exept for Crash and Spyro, because I play those games on both English and Japanese), If its made by polish company (Witcher games for example) I play it on polish, and If game is made by Japanese company, I play it on Japanese.
    2. The second reason is because I really love how Japanese sounds. Its my favourite language for listening.
    3. English voices in Japanese games make no sense and they sound horrible (English sounds good only in games ,made by English company). I am always for localizations like One Piece for PS3 and Project X Zone because those games only have translated text and original voices. If Localization doesnt have original language included, then I will not support that game and will import japanese version if console is region free, or wait for a hack to be released for region locked consoles and still get original game because I don't support piracy. Only Localizations done good are MGS 4 and No More Heroes. They really made English voices good.

Well, thats kinda selfish but I guess they can do what they want. I will still support them always because of owesome games and systems they make, and Hack can always solve regional problems. I just wish hacks wernt used for piracy. Homebrew and Region Free is enough for me

11. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    In other words, you want it in Japanese because you're a Japanophile. You're in the minority I'm afraid - most gamers want their games in a language they can understand which is why games get localized in the first place. ;) People often forget that Japanese voice acting can be pretty apalling to... except we don't know that because y'know - it's in Japanese.

It's interesting that you're playing The Witcher in Polish though - would not expect to hear that in a million years.

Gahars likes this.
  12. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    YES! I love these threads! *gets ready for @shitgbatempsays material*

I have zero hope in Nintendo unlocking the 3DS themselves. They have broken me. :c

Ron likes this.
  13. OldClassicGamer
    OP

Japan
    I would call myself a Japan Enthusiast because I do respect localization if its done right and not completly change dialog and bad translations. Like I said MGS 4 and No More Heroes are a good example how you should localize games. And as for anime, I prefer DBZ in English because it was done really good and has more memorable moments (OVER 9000). And how do you know what "most gamers" want? Its not like there was a poll worldwide asking all gamers what they want. I have seen some different polls about whatever gamers prefer original language or language they understand and results were different. And like I said, I understan both languages (to be fair, I understand English better but I like listening Japanese very much) I play Witcher in Polish becaue that is original Language and I like it. As for language you understand situation, would you watch a American movie on Polish? Just asking since I see that you are from Poland.

Well, only thing to do is wait and see who will unlock 3DS first. Nintendo or Hackers. But I have a feeling answer will be Hackers

14. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    I want the next Hobbit movie to be dubbed into Elvish. Not that i speak it mind you....i just want it AUTHENTIC!

Region Free for the 3DS would be a totally stupid move for Nintendo as they'd lose a massive amount of money in licensing costs, and lose the ability to have a direct read of how each market is performing.

joshuatm likes this.
  15. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    This would not sell more consoles, it wwould sell less.... Nintendo have no financial incentive to implement this

16. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Most American films these days get superb dubbing. In fact, sometimes it adds its own local flavour to the flicks (here the Shrek series, or in fact most of teh Dreamworks films come to mind. The jokes are often altered to reflect the Polish mindset and reference Polish happenings making them quite funny in comparison to how unfunny they would be if they were American idioms or pop culture references which do not necessarily "click" in Poland) so yes, I probably would.

Now, would I also watch it in English? Yeah, sure - the difference here being that I understand English perfectly. Watching a film in a language you understand is not something I'd call weird.

The problem I'm trying to outline is watching movies or playing video games in a language that you do not understand at all or understand it barely. I wouldn't watch a film in, say, Suahili - I don't understand the language. Subtitles are helpful however they can sometimes spoil the experience since instead of focusing on the show proper, you focus on reading whatever's on the bottom of the screen and that's not ideal to say the least.

I get what you're trying to say - that watching or playing something in its original form is a good thing. It is. The problem being that if you cannot understand the original language it only makes the experience inferior since you can't exactly fit into the nuances of the story.

ferofax, xist and omgpwn666 like this.
  17. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    Cant see why Nintendo would do this since it seems we are all swallowing it

18. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    I like the video opening, good nostalgic blast. I don't believe though that Nintendo will remove region locks, or add language changes to a game via DLC. But who knows(other than Nintendo), it could happen one day.

19. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    this title needs changing as it is completely misleading

tbgtbg likes this.
  20. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Mar 15, 2013, Reason: rickroll? seriously?.
    Mar 15, 2013
  21. OldClassicGamer
    OP

Japan

Thank you for expressing your opinions on mature way unlike some people who only know to insult. I think its best to say we have different opinions and we should respect each others. I usually don't have sub problem because I have been reading them since age 4. My mother always used to buy me Cartoons and Anime on VHS with subtitles because she prefers Original language too. But I do understand some people cannot get good movie experiance with subtitles and respect them too.

Thanks, and if Nintendo doesn't make console region free, Hackers would probably do

Yepi69 likes this.