Nintendo Relicenses SC Texture Technology

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Juanmatron, Apr 28, 2010.

Apr 28, 2010
  1. Juanmatron
    OP

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    [​IMG]

Nintendo recently renewed their license with S3 Graphics to continue using their S3 Texture Compression technology. They explain the tech as follows:

Those interested in a more in-depth explanation of the software can check out the Wikipedia article discussing how it works. S3 is a company with which Nintendo has worked with already for over ten years, first using this technology on the GameCube platform.

This renewal could mean a few things. The fun speculation is that this could be used to power the upcoming 3DS, which is rumored to have GameCube-level graphics. It's also possible that Nintendo plans for future platforms to be backwards-compatible with GameCube titles, a prospect that would surely please fans with significant collections from that generation. Whether this is relevant to a Wii successor or the 3DS, or neither, is all speculation at this point, but keep your Internet tuned to Nintendo Life for all future updates.

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28244/N...ion_License.php

2. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Hmm, very interesting... I simply cannot wait to learn more about the 3DS (but I have to [​IMG] ).

3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    my bet it's 3ds related

4. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    This could also have something to with the Wii, especially as it's hardware compatible with the GC. For that reason I imagine it's also used in wii games.