Nintendo Relicenses SC Texture Technology

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Juanmatron, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Juanmatron
    OP

Juanmatron Slater Color

Aug 5, 2008
    SEGA's World
    [​IMG]

Nintendo recently renewed their license with S3 Graphics to continue using their S3 Texture Compression technology. They explain the tech as follows:

Those interested in a more in-depth explanation of the software can check out the Wikipedia article discussing how it works. S3 is a company with which Nintendo has worked with already for over ten years, first using this technology on the GameCube platform.

This renewal could mean a few things. The fun speculation is that this could be used to power the upcoming 3DS, which is rumored to have GameCube-level graphics. It's also possible that Nintendo plans for future platforms to be backwards-compatible with GameCube titles, a prospect that would surely please fans with significant collections from that generation. Whether this is relevant to a Wii successor or the 3DS, or neither, is all speculation at this point, but keep your Internet tuned to Nintendo Life for all future updates.

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28244/N...ion_License.php

2. Sterling

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Hmm, very interesting... I simply cannot wait to learn more about the 3DS (but I have to [​IMG] ).

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    my bet it's 3ds related

4. tk_saturn

tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 26, 2010
    This could also have something to with the Wii, especially as it's hardware compatible with the GC. For that reason I imagine it's also used in wii games.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice