• Start date
  • Views 4,768
  • Replies 32
D

Deleted_171835

OP
178863-3ds.jpg
QUOTE said:
Nintendo wouldn't have revealed the Nintendo 3DS at E3 unless it had a final design, would it? According to Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo's North American President and chief operating officer, we could be seeing some changes before the device hits shelves. But Fils-Aime, known best for kicking ass and taking names, could be wrong.

In a Wired interview with 3DS producer Hideo Konno published this week, we've learned that what we're seeing is likely what we're going to get. Konno says, "You can take this as the final shape," when asked if changes will be made before its release.

While everyone was busy fawning over Nintendo's impressive new hardware, I got a bit nit-picky. My qualms were mostly with how the console felt and even looked -- I found the 3D slider felt a bit "cheap," and I'm not really in love with the "blocky" look of the power buttons, as well as the bizarre "bumps" for the "select," home," and "start" keys. Another issue I had? I thought the screens were too small; I wanted the breathtaking 3D display to be larger, especially after having spent considerable time with the DSi XL. Konno addresses this as well.

"The DSi XL was quite impactful with its very large screen, but the concept for the 3D is to have consumers bring it out of their homes and carrying it around," he says, then adding, "If we make it too larger, consumers might not be able to carry such a heavy thing in their bags. We wanted to make it compact."

Technically, though, he says a larger screen is possible… it would even be possible to make a television-sized screen utilizing the 3D technology (with limitations based around where the viewer must be sitting). So now the obvious question is, how much longer after the 3DS releases will Nintendo wait before announcing a larger model?
The 3DS has a good design, already. The 3D slider looks a bit weird, though.

Source: Destructoid

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
They probably make some changes to the 3d slider.
And IF the 3DS was completed, why would they wait to release the console by almost 1 year?

EDIT: remember when they showed us the NDS for the first time?
nintendo_ds_1.jpg

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's some real nit-picking to be done to be honest.

1: The start and select button placement is below the screen, out of the reach of both thumbs, and they don't look very clickable.
2: The d-pad below the analogue nub means left-handed stylus games won't be very comfortable to play. It is also a big issue for backwards compatible DS games.
3: If you look at E3 photos, the stylus slot is back next to the cartridge slot like the original DS, where it was not as accessible as from the side.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
There's some real nit-picking to be done to be honest.

2: The d-pad below the analogue nub means left-handed stylus games won't be very comfortable to play. It is also a big issue for backwards compatible DS games.

left handed player will not be able to use the joystick
tongue.gif

in many of the nds FPS games you can use the X,Y,A,B as a d-pad

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, these things need to be changed:

1) The start, select, and home buttons look different and more out of place than the other buttons.
2) The 3D effect slider looks awkward where it is. Maybe a different color or position will make it look better.
3) The big "bump" on the borders of the touch screen looks weird, and just shouldn't be there.

Other than those, the design looks perfect to me.

c_house

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CrimzonEyed said:
They probably make some changes to the 3d slider.
And IF the 3DS was completed, why would they wait to release the console by almost 1 year?

EDIT: remember when they showed us the NDS for the first time?
nintendo_ds_1.jpg

Holy crap! I forgot what the first E3 DS looked like. Weren't they going for the look of the old Game & Watch dual-screen handhelds?
yaynds.gif

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow... am I the only one who noticed he said "shape" and not "design"?
The shape - as in the looks - it will look the same, but that doesn't mean that all the buttons will be at the same position. Other changes may be possible too.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Escape said:
The shape - as in the looks - it will look the same, but that doesn't mean that all the buttons will be at the same position. Other changes may be possible too.
Nintendo probably won't change 3DS design

it clearly says design, he also mention it twice in his post

SoulSnatcher said:
QUOTENintendo wouldn't have revealed the Nintendo 3DS at E3 unless it had a final design, would it? According to Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo's North American President and chief operating officer, we could be seeing some changes before the device hits shelves. But Fils-Aime, known best for kicking ass and taking names, could be wrong.

In a Wired interview with 3DS producer Hideo Konno published this week, we've learned that what we're seeing is likely what we're going to get. Konno says, "You can take this as the final shape," when asked if changes will be made before its release.

While everyone was busy fawning over Nintendo's impressive new hardware, I got a bit nit-picky. My qualms were mostly with how the console felt and even looked -- I found the 3D slider felt a bit "cheap," and I'm not really in love with the "blocky" look of the power buttons, as well as the bizarre "bumps" for the "select," home," and "start" keys. Another issue I had? I thought the screens were too small; I wanted the breathtaking 3D display to be larger, especially after having spent considerable time with the DSi XL. Konno addresses this as well.

"The DSi XL was quite impactful with its very large screen, but the concept for the 3D is to have consumers bring it out of their homes and carrying it around," he says, then adding, "If we make it too larger, consumers might not be able to carry such a heavy thing in their bags. We wanted to make it compact."

Technically, though, he says a larger screen is possible… it would even be possible to make a television-sized screen utilizing the 3D technology (with limitations based around where the viewer must be sitting). So now the obvious question is, how much longer after the 3DS releases will Nintendo wait before announcing a larger model?
The 3DS has a good design, already. The 3D slider looks a bit weird, though.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CrimzonEyed said:
Escape said:
Nintendo probably won't change 3DS design

it clearly says design, he also mention it twice in his post

"You can take this as the final shape," when asked if changes will be made before its release.
rolleyes.gif

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like you didn't get what I said :wtf:
Staying the same shape doesn't mean the design wouldn't change, as Magmorph quoted:
""You can take this as the final shape," when asked if changes will be made before its release."
So yea, that doesn't mean that the final design wouldn't change, only the shape of it will not change.

riverchen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curses! I guess i'll have to teach myself writing with my right hand. The nub should be moved BELOW the D-pad.......AND WE NEED 2 NUBS.

EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
URGH

I really don't like the design.. it's so bulky!
Plus I feel sorry for the left handed people...

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poor lefties, you're getting left out.

I seriously think ninty should add another analog stick below the ABXY buttons to get even more of an edge on the PSP.
I personally really don't like the design of having a larger screen that doesn't take up the whole room of the top, it just looks weird, like the screen was made for a smaller device, too much black, not enough screen.
Also, I hope the stylus doesn't scratch the screens like the DS did, although I did try my PDA Panache stylus directly on the screen pressing very hard and it didn't scratch, so I hope PDA makes another stylus for the 3DS, as I love it so much
wub.gif

Also, I pray for better shoulder buttons, and just better buttons in general, caz I have to hold down buttons pretty hard to keep them pressed.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think that they would.

It's a great system, I just wanted to play Ape Escape on the inevitable PS1 emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho