Nintendo partners with Niantic for 'Pikmin' mobile AR app; releasing later this year

pikmin ar.png

Following the success of Pokémon Go a couple of years ago, Nintendo is partnering again with Niantic to develop a new mobile AR game/app based on another of its iconic franchise: Pikmin. The app is said to feature "gameplay activities to encourage walking and make walking more delightful". More details will be revealed "in the coming months".

The announcement also suggests that more apps based on Nintendo's characters is in the works as it mentions that the Pikmin app is to "kick off the partnership" during which they will "jointly develop mobile titles". But only this specific app has been announced for now.

The Pikmin AR app is slated to release later this year and is being developed by Niantic's Tokyo Studio, and this will be its first title since it was established in April 2018. Those interested can already pre-register here.

:arrow: SOURCE

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So, we have a Space Invaders AR game in the works and we have a Pikmin AR too.

And i'm still waiting for Dragon Quest Walk to release outside Japan...

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair if you mention things such as Fire Emblem, Mother/Earthbound, or hell even Persona to a regular gamer who plays Smash, they probably do not know where they are from either. You are either iconic or niche, and Pikmin is definitely niche.

That also said there is nothing wrong with being a niche IP. I love a lot of niche stuff. I find that its in poor choice to leave it to Niantic however. I have had a lot of history with that company, and chances are they will stumble on the release of this too if it releases at all that is..
That's kind of my point, people would see a Pikmin or Fire Emblem game and think "hey, it's that dude from smash", that is literally what happened with Fire Emblem in the west, which hadn't been localized outside of Japan until after it got characters in Melee.

Reactions: banjo2

Jevil_DS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Following the success of Pokémon Go a couple of years ago, Nintendo is partnering again with Niantic to develop a new mobile AR game/app based on another of its iconic franchise: Pikmin. The app is said to feature "gameplay activities to encourage walking and make walking more delightful". More details will be revealed "in the coming months".

The announcement also suggests that more apps based on Nintendo's characters is in the works as it mentions that the Pikmin app is to "kick off the partnership" during which they will "jointly develop mobile titles". But only this specific app has been announced for now.

The Pikmin AR app is slated to release later this year and is being developed by Niantic's Tokyo Studio, and this will be its first title since it was established in April 2018. Those interested can already pre-register here.

:arrow: SOURCE
Pokemon GO!: Pikmin edition.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My ping times even lol