Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (Eurogamer)

nintendo-logo-620x349.png

Eurogamer are reporting that Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers:

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.
Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.
A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers-146954365832.png

:arrow:Read the full article with a lot more info here: Source

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm not sure why people think the X1 is weak. It's stronger than the Wii U, and it can actually run SOME OpenGL games better than PS4 and XB1 can. The graphics can get pretty close to PS4. Check this tech demo:

(Forgive the shitty intro)

And yeah, PS4 looks better in every way, but it's not that huge of a gap, and remember that this device is 100% portable. You can take it on the bus, at work, at school, on the toilet.

I think it won't fail. Is there another mobile gaming device that's this strong? If this has good third party support and can run games like GTA, COD, etc. then I can really see this appealing to a lot of people.

Last edited by DutchyDutch,
Reactions: malucart

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm not too sure what the issue is here.

They already have the 3DS. Why the fuck do they need to make another handheld? And it's going to be weaker than the PS4 and XBone. So, like. I don't get what the hell is the point of this console.

It's a stupid idea. That's the issue.

Reactions: Deleted User

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes this is what I want, although as long as it has good games who really cares!
Everyone who wants third party.

Just noticed how stupid the controller looks and is.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Jesus people taking it as fact is at this point as cancerous as the rumor itself.

I'm not sure why people think the X1 is weak. It's stronger than the Wii U, and it can actually run SOME OpenGL games better than PS4 and XB1 can. The graphics can get pretty close to PS4. Check this tech demo:

And yeah, PS4 looks better in every way, but it's not that huge of a gap, and remember that this device is 100% portable. You can take it on the bus, at work, at school, on the toilet.

I think it won't fail. Is there another mobile gaming device that's this strong? If this has good third party support and can run games like GTA, COD, etc. then I can really see this appealing to a lot of people.

But will it though? Third parties wont support a gimmick, as proven by the wii u...

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Jesus people taking it as fact is at this point as cancerous as the rumor itself.

But will it though? Third parties wont support a gimmick, as proven by the wii u...
It's not much of a gimmick though. It's basically just a portable. Wii U didn't get third party support because
of it being really weak and expensive for the hardware, not because it had a gimmick. The Wii and DS had gimmicks and it worked really well.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The problem is heat, power consumption, and cooling. Was that tech demo run on a portable device that the chip was meant for? I distinctly remember a lot of "demos" that nVidia showed off with the X1 chip, only to discover those were open-air test benches, and not indicative of what the chip will be running on. Hopefully this'll run on their new Pascal arch and not the outdated Maxwell. But knowing Nintendo and how they always cheap out, I wouldn't be surprised.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You do realize that the Wii was a gimmick, right? So, third parties not supporting a gimmick is pure bullshit.

malucart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What are you talking about?

This is obviously the portable!
What's wrong with there being both a home console and a portable one? It's been like this since generations ago!

malucart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What are you talking about?

This is obviously the portable!
What's wrong with there being both a home console and a portable one? It's been like this for generations!

D

Deleted User

I like it. It's just got to be fast and good enough to play Zelda. Maybe this is a separate controller - there MUST be a way to use L/R and ZL/ZR.

They'll probably add GameCube Adapter support since they would be in the depths of pain - Smash4 players will destroy!!!!

Hoping that this is not the only controller - there needs to be a good controller. I believe that maybe this is just the handheld aspect of it- so that you can take it off the console and keep playing or you can use a main (good) controller that is the default

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The problem is heat, power consumption, and cooling. Was that tech demo run on a portable device that the chip was meant for? I distinctly remember a lot of "demos" that nVidia showed off with the X1 chip, only to discover those were open-air test benches, and not indicative of what the chip will be running on. Hopefully this'll run on their new Pascal arch and not the outdated Maxwell. But knowing Nintendo and how they always cheap out, I wouldn't be surprised.
That's true, but don't forget that there will be a docking station that will most likely connect to a power outlet (not much worries about power consumption) and it could also give it some extra cooling.

It was a lucky gimmick, did it get third party support? hell no.
Uh, yes it did. A lot of third party support. Lots of them were shovelware... but a few were good. It even had COD on it.

I like it. It's just got to be fast and good enough to play Zelda. Maybe this is a separate controller - there MUST be a way to use L/R and ZL/ZR.

They'll probably add GameCube Adapter support since they would be in the depths of pain - Smash4 players will destroy!!!!

Hoping that this is not the only controller - there needs to be a good controller. I believe that maybe this is just the handheld aspect of it- so that you can take it off the console and keep playing or you can use a main (good) controller that is the default
There's definitely gonna be more controller choice. Ever since the Wii, Nintendo always had a variety of controllers to pick from.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's true, but don't forget that there will be a docking station that will most likely connect to a power outlet (not much worries about power consumption) and it could also give it some extra cooling.

Uh, yes it did. A lot of third party support. Lots of them were shovelware... but a few were good. It even had COD on it.
Dont act like people played the wii for its entire 6 years, they dropped it after the first day. It became uninteresting, id say the ps2,an extremely simple console that became the best selling console ever.

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dont act like people played the wii for its entire 6 years, they dropped it after the first day. It became uninteresting, id say the ps2,an extremely simple console that became the best selling console ever.
I don't know why people say this. The Wii had backwards compatibility, which allowed you to play all of the Gamecube library. It had a strong first party lineup, some popular third party games (Just Dance) and more. It can watch Netflix and Youtube as well, so I guess that's cool for the casuals.

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I'm in love with this, seriously.

Nintendo can't keep up making 2 consoles each generation and dividing their games, the hybrid market is not explored much yet, and even if third-party support is poor, fact is, of it's a hybrid then Nintendo can focus all their first-party IPs here, instead of having 2 consoles with a thin library.

Only complaint is the detachable controllers, really. But I like this hybrid approach

Reactions: xfxmrl and Kioku

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know why people say this. The Wii had backwards compatibility, which allowed you to play all of the Gamecube library. It had a strong first party lineup, some popular third party games (Just Dance) and more. It can watch Netflix and Youtube as well, so I guess that's cool for the casuals.
Exactly, casuals. Nintendo should be aming for core gamers not casuals.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Okay, and then what happens when that thing is in portable mode? Would it throttle? Would it reduce its graphics?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
They already have the 3DS. Why the fuck do they need to make another handheld? And it's going to be weaker than the PS4 and XBone. So, like. I don't get what the hell is the point of this console.

It's a stupid idea. That's the issue.
You MUST be new here.

Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Poke the boner lol. +1