Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (Eurogamer)

nintendo-logo-620x349.png

Eurogamer are reporting that Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers:

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.
Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.
A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers-146954365832.png

:arrow:Read the full article with a lot more info here: Source

loco365

Trophies
XP
I actually kinda like the design. I can see lots of creative multiplayer games that have each person use one half of the controller set to accomplish some kind of goal or objective. And for it to dock I don't mind that. It's quite literally a handheld in the streets, and a console in the sheets.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It's the end of days I tell you! The end! Nintendoomed!!!

I hate to see that the NX might be underpowered. I can't believe Nintendo would be that stupi...okay I can. But really, I hope that the entire home console portion isn't powered by some old mobile chipset. Not much we can do but angrily wait for the official announcement, I guess.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nope nope nope there is no reason to assume that Nintendo would use this. Plus if they did it is hard to think they could get it in their target price range
Not sure what you're looking at, but I linked it only to show that there have been preproduction Tegra X2s out there for quite a bit. Also, what you're seeing is an automobile version of the X2 pretty much nothing in it except the SoC (the huge big thing in the middle, there are two, but Nintendo would use only one) would be used by the NX, if that's what Nintendo went for. Tegras are usually quite cheap, let me see if I can grab a price for one...

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what you're looking at, but I linked it only to show that there have been preproduction Tegra X2s out there for quite a bit. Also, what you're seeing is an automobile version of the X2 pretty much nothing in it except the SoC (the huge big thing in the middle, there are two, but Nintendo would use only one) would be used by the NX, if that's what Nintendo went for. Tegras are usually quite cheap, let me see if I can grab a price for one...
The current K1 tablet sells for 200 and the new tablets from nvidia has sold for around 300 each time plus add in the cost off the home console part (depending on how powerful it is or what it does) it would be hard to get it under 400 USD and if they could it still would most likely be weaker then the PS4 or XBONE

VirusX2

Master Race Beast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, Looks like 1S(DS - Dual Screen,3DS - 3D DUal Screen, S - Screen) with Detachable controllers...

Last edited by VirusX2,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, great clickbait guys, this is a rumor and should be marked as such.

Anyhow, seriously? This seems like a neat idea but everyone's just whining about "more gimmicks!? nintendoomed!!!!" or "the specs are a year behind!"

Seriously? It'll be a fine console with good first party games, a good selection of launch title (at least) 3rd party games (lots of devs are preemptively announcing for NX) and, really. if you want to play the newest western RPG or sports game or FPS just like on PS4/XB1/PC, then buy a PS4/XB1/PC instead of complaining that Nintendo doesn't do the same crap as them. It's quite obvious they don't want to and can survive without following the competition.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't really hate the design as much as I hate the fact that it's running on that old Tegra chip. I'd be happy with power comparable to the PS4 because knowing Nintendo that's the best they could do, but this? I might as well just get some cheap android box and emulate the old zelda games.

Reactions: RevPokemon

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tegra X2 or this thing is dead in the water. The X1 is already two years old.

Anyway, to everyone complaining about "why portable", the answer is simple. The home market had huge share losses with the WiiU, the 3DS is losing marketshare to tablets/smartphones so it's obvious what they need to do to appease shareholders: squash the mobile and home profits together by merging the two platforms. Intel did the same with the Mobile section.

Just one console means less risks: mobile still has a strong foothold (look at the 3DS) while an home-only console would be a risk too high for Nintendo right now. They can't allow another WiiU or Nintendo could be out of the hardware games for good.

tl;dr: It's a real good idea but it needs to be powerful enough to get multiplatform games this time around or the NX is already dead.

At this point I'm kinda hoping that it flops and Nintendo gets out of the hardware business. If they didn't keep making bad hardware they could focus on all the amazing IP's that they own the rights to and could publish as multiplatform games.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
well it not the first and maybe not the last rumor but let's see XD
this is proof that nintendo only gives a fuck about japan :glare:
nah, is western nintendo that don'tcare enough about us :B
You can see by stuff they create like wiifamily(that one without GC prot), wiimini, 2DS, taking forever to release the n3DS and only XL, poor game selection for the mini ness, censoring mature games and presing the possible to keep region lock...
It's not nintendo don't caring about us, is western nintendo don't knowing or caring enough abut their public...
(if there are any gamer working there I bet there are all casuals and" games are for kids, even if M rated xp)

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like to imagine this will be the 3DS' successor, and that they're giving it a little bit more power than the Wii-U, and that Nintendo's true home console is coming out in a few years, and that this is to hold over the Wii-U/3DS owners, right, right?

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this will be the last console (if you can even call it that!) nintendo will ever make. they are done in the west.

7f77546945f948560cdc26b12b99d5ccd390c2e39d2849d3423ae7608dac066a.jpg
I would honestly be happy if they did what apple is doing with the iPhone 6 -> 7 More powerful internals with a slight re design. Also make it so all games can use the gamecube controller

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast