Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (Eurogamer)

nintendo-logo-620x349.png

Eurogamer are reporting that Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers:

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.
Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.
A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers-146954365832.png

:arrow:Read the full article with a lot more info here: Source

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I dont get the optimism for this console (if the rumour is confirmed to be true.) It wouldnt make sense for third parties to support a portable. How the fuck do you play just dance on a portable?

Reactions: Zense

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, they have to appeal to everyone, you're not looking at the bigger picture. The second they gain the attention of the masses, they got this in the bag, look at the Wii and DS
The wii and DS were perfect for their time. Right now, the core market is where its at. Just look at the god damn ps4.

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, and then what happens when that thing is in portable mode? Would it throttle? Would it reduce its graphics?

'Heh, didn't think about that. I'd assume the resolution would be lowered or something.
Thing is, there's already devices that use the X1 and they don't have much of these problems. Don't forget,
despite the PS4 being a home console it also has to deal with cooling. That PS4 tech demo isn't gonna be exactly
true to heart either.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I dont get the optimism for this console (if the rumour is confirmed to be true.) It wouldnt make sense for third parties to support a portable. How the fuck do you play just dance on a portable?
Why does it have to be Just Dance? Why can't it be games like Dark Souls? Call of Duty? BATTLEFIELD. Dirt. There's a shit ton more third party software than just dance.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do the controllers have circle pads, but one has a d-pad and one has buttons? This cant be the final design if the controllers can't even function. By the looks of it, there's less buttons than a 3ds! You know, this reminds me a lot of the design that inspired the Wii U gamepad. You can find it in this dykg episode at 2:39.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
'Heh, didn't think about that. I'd assume the resolution would be lowered or something.
Thing is, there's already devices that use the X1 and they don't have much of these problems. Don't forget,
despite the PS4 being a home console it also has to deal with cooling. That PS4 tech demo isn't gonna be exactly
true to heart either.
But the demo is playing on the console so cooling is already put into play.

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The wii and DS were perfect for their time. Right now, the core market is where its at. Just look at the god damn ps4.
Thing is, the core market is small. They want sales, so they want a hybrid console they can pump full of games, while also neutralizing the threat of the shrink in the portable market WHILE also capitalizing in the rapidly growing mobile market

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thing is, the core market is small. They want sales, so they want a hybrid console they can pump full of games, while also neutralizing the threat of the shrink in the portable market WHILE also capitalizing in the rapidly growing mobile market
How can it capitalise on a market it has nothing to do with? The only thing it has similar with any mobile phone is a chip , not an os. The portable market is the only thing this can exist in.

sneef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why is this bad? i've only read the first page of comments, but they're almost exclusively "this sucks.. nintendo's making a huge mistake.. I'm not getting one".

of course the illustration looks dumb, but i'm sure it won't look like that.. the CONCEPT, however, sounds great to me..

this is proof that nintendo only gives a fuck about japan :glare:

how does this prove anything like that, at all? What relationship is there between the concept of a portable game console w detachable controllers, and Japanese consumers?

thanks, i'm actually curious, not trying to mock your comment or anything like that.

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
How can it capitalise on a market it has nothing to do with? The only thing it has similar with any mobile phone is a chip , not an os. The portable market is the only thing this can exist in.
Wrong, Nintendo has stated that they want to merge console gaming with mobile gaming, doesn't necessarily mean it will run a mobile OS either

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
true to heart either.

There are X1 devices that can sustain that level of performance in a portable form factor for a long period of time? nVidia Shadowplay doesn't count.

The PS4 has to deal with cooling only, it doesn't have to worry about sustained battery performance. And it still performs great; games on the PS4 are very beautiful.

All I am trying to point out is that yes, the X1 is capable of that level of performance, but the issue comes when, if these rumors are true, the console becomes portable, and has to work without a dock with potential cooling solutions. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if games look worse than the Wii U because of the desired portability.

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There are X1 devices that can sustain that level of performance in a portable form factor for a long period of time? nVidia Shadowplay doesn't count.

The PS4 has to deal with cooling only, it doesn't have to worry about sustained battery performance. And it still performs great; games on the PS4 are very beautiful.

All I am trying to point out is that yes, the X1 is capable of that level of performance, but the issue comes when, if these rumors are true, the console becomes portable, and has to work without a dock with potential cooling solutions. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if games look worse than the Wii U because of the desired portability.

I think Nintendo call pull of some nice looking games though. They managed to get Smash Bros. on the 3DS, with it not being that far apart from the Wii U version (considering the 3DS is much much weaker)
You also have RE:Revelations by Capcom, who managed to make a 3DS game look as good as a 360 game.

The thing the K1 devices are lacking now is dedicated developers. Most of it's games are either ports or android games that aren't made with a specific console in mind. Also, the android OS sucks for gaming. If we get big game developers to create and optimize games with the NX in mind, I'm sure it can beat the PS4 with a few games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: