nalex7752

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi all, how's going?

Im attempting to install a xenogc on my dol-001 pal.

Ive tried the direct install but the chip kept giving the red light so i went for the wired one. Still red led, sigh.
This is the second attempt, I'm using some alt points but im started to thinking the modchip is faulty (?)

Thanks ❤

Attachments

• IMG20220609225343.jpg
    IMG20220609225343.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG20220609225327.jpg
    IMG20220609225327.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG20220609225334.jpg
    IMG20220609225334.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 73

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you try loading DVD-R or out-of-region legit discs? The problem is that newer clones often have two red LEDs instead of two different colors.
Looking into my cube without opening it, I get tow times red blinking and then it stays red.

gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=XenoGC said:

Status LEDs​

The XenoGC features two status LEDs to indicate correct function. The red LED is active when the drive resets and the modchip is doing its job. Once the drive has been patched successfully, the green (orange on XenoGC2.0 and certain clones) LED will illuminate. If only the red LED illuminates, check your installation. It should be noted however that some XenoGC clones may only have red LEDs to indicate functionality, if this is the case check to see how many times the LED blinks on and off. If the LED blinks twice, pauses, and stays on afterwards than the installation and patching was successful.

nalex7752

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Did you try loading DVD-R or out-of-region legit discs? The problem is that newer clones often have two red LEDs instead of two different colors.
Looking into my cube without opening it, I get tow times red blinking and then it stays red.
Damn, i have an NTSC-J game and completely forgot that I could try it. I have, however, the Swiss mini CD but the console refuse to boot it, it said " insert disk" like there's nothing inside the drive. I tested with another pal games and it boots perfectly.

I've read that the Xen8 modchip have the dual red led but mine seems legit, right? I'm going to work right now, ill bump the 3d later when i get home.
Thanks

m4rben

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Red light = faulty install. Usually nothing wrong with the chip mate. Your alternative soldier points look a bit funky, too. Better stick the the ones suggested from manufacturer.

nalex7752

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Red light = faulty install. Usually nothing wrong with the chip mate. Your alternative soldier points look a bit funky, too. Better stick the the ones suggested from manufacturer.
Except fot the power and the gnd ( bottom left pin, ive lifter it up while desoldering the chip from the direct install; the 5v is taked out from that little smd ) everything is soldered following the schematics.

trimesh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
It's hard to tell and it could just be the photo, but it looks like the connection between one of the pads and the via that goes to the control MCU might be broken. I've attached a photo of the place I'm talking about:
XenoGC connection.jpg

nalex7752

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's hard to tell and it could just be the photo, but it looks like the connection between one of the pads and the via that goes to the control MCU might be broken. I've attached a photo of the place I'm talking about:View attachment 313207
Yep, the via starting from the central hole to the top right pad are connected. Im sure because ive cleaned all the pads multiple times and, except for the pad 1, its all good!

trimesh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Yep, the via starting from the central hole to the top right pad are connected. Im sure because ive cleaned all the pads multiple times and, except for the pad 1, its all good!

Well, that was the only thing I could see that looked iffy - do you have another chip you can try?

nalex7752

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, that was the only thing I could see that looked iffy - do you have another chip you can try?
nope, already contacted the seller but he told me that he can refound me only if the modchip wouldnt lights up :/
I've ordered another one, delivery estimated from 1/2 weeks unfortunately. I think i have to wait, sigh

nalex7752

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Tried the japanese one, console refuses to boot. I'm gonna desoldering it again, let's see if the third is the right one

nalex7752

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Download the source code, run the 1.5 dol file.

Make sure you read this first, though: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=XenoGC_Clone#Included_HEX_.26_DOLS
thanks but i was reading also this https://github.com/vingt-2/xenogcfork/ and its mentioned on both site that i need a programmer, at home i've an Arduino uno ( i was reading how to use it as an ISP flasher ), a Rasperry Pico and a StLink used for the Game and Watch. what would be the best to do this?
I've even found this guy but im italian and dont understand a single word of deutsch xD

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks but i was reading also this https://github.com/vingt-2/xenogcfork/ and its mentioned on both site that i need a programmer, at home i've an Arduino uno ( i was reading how to use it as an ISP flasher ), a Rasperry Pico and a StLink used for the Game and Watch. what would be the best to do this?
I've even found this guy but im italian and dont understand a single word of deutsch xD

You can do either or, but running the software flasher requires some extra work.

https://github.com/vingt-2/xenogcfork/#installation
There are two ways to install this onto your XenoGC: The simplest and basically free method is to use the software updater. Unfortunately, you still need to take your cube apart to get to the xenogc modchip, and will need to solder the RST and GND pads of it to a switch, so the reset line of the atmega8 can be grounded on demand so it can be flashed.

https://github.com/vingt-2/xenogcfork/#flashing-using-the-software-flasher

nalex7752

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think im missing something, how do i load Swiss to reflash the chip if i even cant get it to glitch the dvd drive?
Sorry if the question sounds really dumb 😅

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think im missing something, how do i load Swiss to reflash the chip if i even cant get it to glitch the dvd drive?
Sorry if the question sounds really dumb 😅

Alright, so you have no other method to boot dol files?

Before doing anything else though, you should hold the "START" button down (use an official Nintendo controller) while the GameCube boots so it can display the XenoGC version. This would ensure that you soldered it correctly and not just a disk read error.

nalex7752

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Alright, so you have no other method to boot dol files?

Before doing anything else though, you should hold the "START" button down (use an official Nintendo controller) while the GameCube boots so it can display the XenoGC version. This would ensure that you soldered it correctly and not just a disk read error.
already tried, solid red led. nothing else :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.