Nintendo Fusion (RUMOR)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I would no think they would make another handheld as the 3ds is doing fine (tho the numbers were less then expected thy still profited), as for a home console, I suppose it is possible, but i doubt it. And they prob would have discontinued the wii u by now if they had it planned. Also I would be shocked if they were not working on the next home and handheld console, it takes years before they actually go into production you know.
Maybe a single handheld that has a small, wireless box you connect to the TV and optionally stream HD video to it as a second screen. (Think a far more portable Wii U gamepad with all the processing power on the gamepad side instead of the console side ... or a beefier version that 1DS they were previously showing off as a joke)

That's what I think when I hear the name "Nintendo Fusion", at least ... a fusion of home and portable consoles.

Actually, not sure why this reminds me of this fact but (off topic) Nintendo really needs to make a 3DS Player accessory for the Wii U.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • "SDHC “Holographic Enhanced” Card Slot up to 128 Gigabyte Limit"
im sorry but what in the actual fuck is a “Holographic Enhanced” Card Slot
also it says " dual 1mp stereoscopic cameras" but makes no mention of 3d screens

ichidansan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Thumbprint Security Scanner with Pulse Sensing Feedback"

this is taking it a bit far for me to make this remotely believable. would be a slightly odd but cool addition though keep the kiddies off your game lol.

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are working on something. Most likely not this rumored project, but something. The people who would now about it would be a very select few. Those specs will be outdated next gen. There will most likely be a 16 core processor by then or something equally ridiculous. Working on something would squash a lot of people's dreams of demise for Nintendo to become a 3rd party developer.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

BMinkie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fusion DS

• CPU: ARMv8-A Cortex-A53 GPU: Custom Adreno 420-based AMD GPU
  • COM MEMORY: 3 GB LPDDR3 (2 GB Games, 1 GB OS)
  • 2 130 mm DVGA (960 x 640) Capacitive Touchscreen
  • Slide Out Design with Custom Swivel Tilt Hinge
  • Upper Screen made of Gorilla Glass, Comes with Magnetic Cover
  • Low End Vibration for Gameplay and App Alerts
  • 2 Motorized Circle Pads for Haptic Feedback
  • Thumbprint Security Scanner with Pulse Sensing Feedback
  • 2 1mp Stereoptic Cameras
  • Multi-Array Microphone
  • A, B, X, Y, D-Pad, L, R, 1, 2 Buttons
  • 3 Axis Tuning Fork Gyroscope, 3 Axis Accelerometer, Magnetometer
  • NFC Reader
  • 3G Chip with GPS Location
  • Bluetooth v4.0 BLE Command Node used to Interface with Bluetooth Devices such as Cell Phones, Tablets
  • 16 Gigabytes of Internal Flash Storage (Possible Future Unit With 32 Gigabytes)
  • Nintendo 3DS Cart Slot
  • SDHC “Holographic Enhanced” Card Slot up to 128 Gigabyte Limit
  • Mini USB I/O
  • 3300 mAh Li-Ion battery
Fusion Terminal

• GPGPU: Custom Radeon HD RX 200 GPU CODENAME LADY (2816 shaders @ 960 MHz, 4.60 TFLOP/s, Fillrates: 60.6 Gpixel/s, 170 Gtexel/s)
  • CPU: IBM 64-Bit Custom POWER 8-Based IBM 8-Core Processor CODENAME JUMPMAN (2.2 GHz, Shared 6 MB L4 cache)
  • Co-CPU: IBM PowerPC 750-based 1.24 GHz Tri-Core Co-Processor CODENAME HAMMER
  • MEMORY: 4 Gigabytes of Unified DDR4 SDRAM CODENAMED KONG, 2 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz (12.8 GB/s) On Die CODENAMED BARREL
  • 802.11 b/g/n Wireless
  • Bluetooth v4.0 BLE
  • 2 USB 3.0
  • 1 Coaxial Cable Input
  • 1 CableCARD Slot
  • 4 Custom Stream-Interface Nodes up to 4 Wii U GamePads
  • Versions with Disk Drive play Wii U Optical Disk (4 Layers Maximum), FUSION Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) and Nintendo 3DS Card Slot
  • 1 HDMI 2.0 1080p/4K Port
  • Dolby TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound
  • Inductive Charging Surface for up to 4 FUSION DS or IC-Wii Remote Plus Controllers
  • Two versions: Disk Slot Version with 60 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage and Diskless Version with 300 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage

http://www.nintendonews.com/2014/01/nintendo-fusion-could-be-nintendos-next-gen-hardware-name/

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would destroy people's faith in Nintendo if true, so common sense says not true.

Well actually it would make sense to start on development early, but i still wouldn't put much faith in a rumor.
Backwards compatibility and give credit for Wii U. "Keep peripherals and get $150 off." Could keep Wii U people happy. keep games, no loss there, and third party support?

If they sped it along they could catch Sony/MS a few years into their lifespan. I think a company could get away with it once. If Sony/MS counter then people might hate them all. That system would take the lead. 4k? First one of those also. ps4 did not include it, did they?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I've seen numerous news about Nintendo merging consoles and handheld SKDs and architectures to be the same across all platforms, so their next handheld following the 3DS may dump 3DS BC, and be a portable, slightly less-powerful version of their next console. And it makes sense for them to start doing so now, so it will be ready by the next console war. They are just going to have to ride out the Wii U an drop some major titles (Smash Bros Universe, Mario Kart 8, Zelda U) just to keep the system afloat through this gen. The 3DS has been a good cash cow this year, keeping them in business so far. If they would release the games we WANT on the Virtual Consoles (GBA and Gamecube games, mostly), then that would help.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should really post the main source.
http://www.nintendonews.com/2014/01/nintendo-fusion-could-be-nintendos-next-gen-hardware-name/
also, this seems to follow the rumors of Pokemon Plus and Minus, so this can actually be legit.
Don't expect them to be releasing it any time soon though, I imagine they will follow the traditional release cycle.
Those specs are pretty insane, though in 5 years time i can see Nintendo doing that.

I saw the first rumors of plus and minus shortly after the Wii-U was first revealed. So I don't think so!

EDIT: Don't forget Intel and other processor devs believe, we will have desktop CPUs and GPUs with energy usage so small they could be used across devices.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be real, but if it is, I think it is being misinterpreted.

I would not be surprised to see Nintendo trying to "fuse" their 3DS and Wii U together, like Sony did with the Vita and Nintendo has done before with the Gameboy/SNES, GBA/Gamecube, et cetera.

I would also not be surprised if, long term, Nintendo is looking at how they might combine their handheld and home console product line.

What I believe is unlikely is that Nintendo is planning on a console to replace the 3DS before 2017 or the Wii U before 2018.

Reactions: chartube12

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
This list reads like someone who's both a Nintendo fanboy and a tech nerd's fantasy, it reeks of falsity. Take, for example, the CableCARD slot. As far as I know, CableCARD has only been deployed in the United States. Now, why would Nintendo, a considerably traditional Japanese company, implement hardware that would only work for the United States? HVD still hasn't been released yet, and it probably won't in the near future, if ever. As well, flash storage usually comes in powers of 2. I've never seen any flash memory available in multiples of 10, like that rumored 60GB and 300GB capacity.

On the Fusion DS, what's the purpose of NFC on the device? StreetPass and NiFi work perfectly well, and while NFC has a purpose, I don't see why it would serve any purpose on a gaming device. That capacitive touchscreen also smells funny, (3)DS systems' touchscreens have traditionally been resistive touchscreens, and for good reason. Capacitive touchscreens can not work with a stylus because styli don't conduct. They would essentially be cutting off backwards compatibility with a number of games that require the fine control that styli provide. And what use would a thumbprint scanner be on a gaming system?

There's certainly a lot of inconsistencies and logic holes with these specs. While Nintendo is most certainly already working towards their Gen 8 systems, I'd take these specs with a grain of salt. They probably have no basis at all.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
As well, flash storage usually comes in powers of 2. I've never seen any flash memory available in multiples of 10, like that rumored 60GB and 300GB capacity.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120 600038483&IsNodeId=1

It's actually pretty common in a lot of flash-based devices.

But agreed with the rest of your post as well as Foxi's, it's guaranteed they're working on a next-gen system, but there's no way this will be it, or anything close to the end product.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm willing to bet that Nintendo might be getting ready to switch to a Linux/Unix-based OS, paired with ARM processors for their next console and handheld. It's really not THAT far-fetched, to be honest... ARM chips are fairly cheap, even for the quad-core chips now. So Nintendo might throw a Quad or two in the next Nintendo console, and a dual-core chip in the handheld. Who knows though, I could be completely wrong, but this is my theory.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo should make a Pokemon game for the Wii U.
It'll boost sales for sure then.
Not only that but Ninty should hurry up and release some good AAA titles.

This should have been one of their primary decisions from the get go. Heck, once they saw the system was having a rough start a game should have been drafted. It seriously would and should be the first move Nintendo makes when it comes to trying to meet the Wii U to seall well.

Edit: Reading those specs, the memory capacity would have to be higher in order for developers to want to work with it, and they would have to ditch the IBM processor for an x86 chip if they want games ported to the system. Backwards compatibility can suck my left nut, no sense in sacrificing developer support for old hat games that no one plays anymore. If it were true that Nintendo is aiming for an AMD R200 series GPU, they would probably have a graphical advantage over the Xbone and PS4 depending on the chip. Something around a 280X would probably give them a big performance edge. They really have to think about what is best for business and if they want to make money they need to get that 3rd party support and stop trying to alienate other developers. It's not too late to apologize and right the console ship. I don't believe they need to do anything with their portable systems right now though.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."