Gaming Nintendo Free Repair Offered for SSBB Issues

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:
stok3d said:
Nintendo is offering the same kind of service for problematic Wii's (that can't play SSBB) that they did in Japan. Nintendo claims the problem is due to dust and smoke, but there are reports of people having the SSBB disc-not-recognized problem right out of the box (new Wii). There is an article at destructoid about that issue here.

Also, Nintendo (US and Canada) is offering a free repair service for these problems (shipping is free as well, they send a pre-paid Purolator/Fed/Ex Box). Check it out here if you're having problems.

My question is, since the repair service is free and the problem with SSBB has absolutely nothing to do with my modchip but likely has more to do with a hardware problem (they can test the system to make sure it actually works):

Has anyone here ever sent in a modded Wii before? If I remove the WiiKey before shipping it, will there be a problem?

I'm going to send it regardless, because frankly, I'm pissed off that my launch Wii can't even read a DL disc. Whether I chose to chip my system is irrelevant; it's defective hardware and it's Nintendo's problem and they should fix it. In fact, I think their story about 'smoke and dust' is actually BS and there's another issue at hand they don't want the public to know about.

Case in point: I know a couple people that smoke like chimneys, live in a pig-sty, have two cats and a dog, and have had their Wii for over a year yet Brawl zips along like a well-oiled machine. Hell, the screened air-intake on the one machine was so caked with dirt and dust that I'm surprised it turned on.

Anyways, I'm getting away from the point. If I send in the Wii, what's the worst that can happen if they suspect it's been modded? Anyone went through the process at all before? Let me know guys, thanks.
tl;dr version: i pirate games now i expect nintendo to repair my console for free even though i already stole so much money from them

If you send it in, and they suspect its been tampered with/warranty seals are broken, they'll send your Wii back to you unrepaired, and make you pay for shipping.

Well then why didn't they do that to mine?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Salamantis said:
Linkiboy said:
stok3d said:
Nintendo is offering the same kind of service for problematic Wii's (that can't play SSBB) that they did in Japan. Nintendo claims the problem is due to dust and smoke, but there are reports of people having the SSBB disc-not-recognized problem right out of the box (new Wii). There is an article at destructoid about that issue here.

Also, Nintendo (US and Canada) is offering a free repair service for these problems (shipping is free as well, they send a pre-paid Purolator/Fed/Ex Box). Check it out here if you're having problems.

My question is, since the repair service is free and the problem with SSBB has absolutely nothing to do with my modchip but likely has more to do with a hardware problem (they can test the system to make sure it actually works):

Has anyone here ever sent in a modded Wii before? If I remove the WiiKey before shipping it, will there be a problem?

I'm going to send it regardless, because frankly, I'm pissed off that my launch Wii can't even read a DL disc. Whether I chose to chip my system is irrelevant; it's defective hardware and it's Nintendo's problem and they should fix it. In fact, I think their story about 'smoke and dust' is actually BS and there's another issue at hand they don't want the public to know about.

Case in point: I know a couple people that smoke like chimneys, live in a pig-sty, have two cats and a dog, and have had their Wii for over a year yet Brawl zips along like a well-oiled machine. Hell, the screened air-intake on the one machine was so caked with dirt and dust that I'm surprised it turned on.

Anyways, I'm getting away from the point. If I send in the Wii, what's the worst that can happen if they suspect it's been modded? Anyone went through the process at all before? Let me know guys, thanks.
tl;dr version: i pirate games now i expect nintendo to repair my console for free even though i already stole so much money from them

If you send it in, and they suspect its been tampered with/warranty seals are broken, they'll send your Wii back to you unrepaired, and make you pay for shipping.

I'm speaking for NOA, canada has a different repair center eh

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:
Salamantis said:
Linkiboy said:
stok3d said:

I'm speaking for NOA, canada has a different repair center eh

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:

Actually I called them today and talked to a repair tech. I told him I bought the system used about a year ago (truth, it's an early launch Wii) and had no idea what the previous owner had done with the system, but it has worked for me this past year or so. He told me not to worry about it, gave me a RO number and he said that even though my warranty is expired, they're going to cover the Brawl issue as well as do a system repair for FREE. (my system sometimes spits the disc back out instead of loading it up and is very loud when spinning a disc, he said they'd likely replace the drive or send me a refurb, woo hoo!)

As for them sending it back and charging someone for shipping if they suspect tampering...That's a chance you take. That's why if you were planning on sending a system back, you could carefully remove the modchip. Nintendo is repairing a huge volume of Wii's right now. They're not going to be going over each one with a fine-tooth comb to look for evidence of 'tampering' unless it's something that's outwardly blatant or very noticable.

anyways that made my day
tongue.gif

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:

Actually, Linkiboy, in Canada, Modchips are legal to purchase, own, and have installed in your console. It's your console... do with it as you please. What is illegal is the making of backup copies of titles for which you do not own the original. Fortunately, here in Canada and in the US, we may, by law, make a backup of software we legally own, for archival purposes. For you to have the right to make backups, you must have bought the original game.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:

They repaired obviously tampered-with DSs for free. Why would they not with Wiis? The repair devision is very separate from the legal division and doesn't give nearly as much of a damn. Nintendo isn't one big corporate bodiless entity.

Still, you are pretty dumb if you don't take out your mod chip. Say you have a wiikey and an update comes out. If nintendo's got you chip or replaced the drive you'll have to get a new mod chip~
Then again with a new model drive you'd need a new chip anyway...

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update:

I had sent it out last Tuesday and got it back yesterday -- I wasn't holding a candlelight vigil for it on the porch or anything, though.

Ironically, the postie left the 300$Wii on my front deck yesterday but strangely, they didn't do the same with a 12$ DVI cable they attempted delivery on this AM: that precious cargo must be picked up in person at the office. (lol)

Anyways, it's fixed. Not sure if they replaced the drive or not. They attached a piece of black plastic to the letter and said that they found it inside the Wii, but I doubt this because of it's size. There's no way it could've fit into any of the Wii's openings given its size. Ah well, Nintendo's customer service really is the best in the biz, and I'm glad they've returned to the glory of their former days.

I did pull the WiiKey before sending it in because the warranty was expired and they were fixing it for free as well as shipping it to and from so I didn't want to push it.

Linkiboy: "If you send it in, and they suspect its been tampered with/warranty seals are broken, they'll send your Wii back to you unrepaired, and make you pay for shipping."

Actually, it was pretty obvious my Wii had been disassembled several times before. There was a chunk missing from one of the rubber foot-pads on the bottom and one of the stickers was creased. I also semi-stripped a couple of tri's because I couldn't find the wing and had to use a small flat-head.

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
coolbho3000 said:
LOL

I'll keep that in mind once my drive dies or something. Did you have to send in Brawl along with the Wii?

Yeah, it was sent in with Smash. But my launch Wii was a 'hurtin' unit' and the Smash Bros. repair program couldn't have come at a better time. It was only a matter of time before the little Wii that could finally died.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn