Nintendo DS Lite Pro Stylus Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Sinkhead, Apr 13, 2009.

Apr 13, 2009
  1. Sinkhead
    OP

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Nintendo DS Lite Pro Stylus Review
    By our very own radioactive reviewer!
    [​IMG]

Toni Plutonij has just completed his review of the Nintendo DS Lite Pro Stylus, also known as the Battle Stylus.

"The stylus is a crucial part of the DS, and required for many games. That being said, many people simply aren't satisfied with the default one (actually, two) that come with the handheld. They are too "plasticy", and the tip tends to wear out after a few months of usage. (At least that happened to me, and I'm extremely careful with my stuff.) It's also very light and doesn't give you that "feeling" while holding it, so lots of people end up buying an alternative stylus for a more pleasurable experience while playing. Some people prefer a pen-like stylus, some people prefer the retractable type, while others enjoy using special styli that come as a free bonus with certain games. This review is for the DS Lite Battle Pro Stylus made by PDA Panache!"

[​IMG] Read the review
    [​IMG] Discuss

Many thanks to PDA Panache for supplying us with a sample.

[​IMG]

2. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    it sounds nice, but I really wish someone made a high quality stylus like that that extended too, I find it much easier to play using my telescopic stylus, but it feels really cheap.

3. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nice review. I may buy this.

Does it fit well in a DSi stylus slot?

4. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    I agree, I used Extractible Metal stylus from DealExtreme before this one, and really got used to that little bit extra length..But this thing is so firm that "extract feature" would just make it more fragile.....When you get this stylus in your hands it feels like your holding a stylus tank!

Posts merged

I have no DSi so I couldn't test that, but if you have DSi, and your Lite stylus fits, this one will too [​IMG]

5. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    Would it fit a phat?

6. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Nice review Toni, the stylus looks cool. I think I would probably go with the black tip though, I think that day glow orange one kind of ruins the look.

Im going to be honest here though, $20 shipping included for a stylus? No just no lol

I dont care how good it is, Im not paying that much for something like that. [​IMG]

7. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

The DS lite's stylus fits just fine in my DSi. So I guess this will fit in the DSi's stylus slot.

BTW, Great review Toni. [​IMG]

8. Sinkhead
    OP

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Nope, but if you go onto PDA Panache using the link in the article, there's a link to the Classic version, which I imagine is the same quality [​IMG]

9. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    Oh well.

10. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Very good review. I never considered buying a new stylus, but I do have some complains over the original ones now. They seem to scratch sometimes, what I absolutely don't want.
    Maybe I'll buy a new one, this one looks very nice.

11. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    Nice Review and Nice Stylus but there is no way Im getting this.. The price is way to expensive.. I use an extractable stylus.. I like it but if this stylus was cheaper and it was retractable I would get it...

Does a DS Lite Stylus fit a phat.. NOPE.. No chance Im afraid..

12. Phynx

Newcomer Phynx Advanced Member

United States
    If I ever manage to wear out the one I have I'll consider this. I didn't think it'd be possible to persuade me to pay that much for a stylus (though perhaps just because the idea never occurred to me [​IMG]) but you did so. Well done.

13. rObOu

Newcomer rObOu Member

France
    Hope they'll make a DSi version soon.

14. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    [​IMG] I'm very glad..

The thing is, one can imagine how this stylus actually feels, it gives away feeling that anything else besides it, is just plastic crap..
    I'm not trying to pursued you to buy it, I'm just sharing my impression of the stylus..Before I got it, I read about it, and I had really high expectations of it, but when I actually got it, it exceeded my expectation.

15. funem

Member funem Retro Powered..

United Kingdom
    Me and my son both have retractable stylus's. Both are really well made and feel quite solid. His stylus extends to nearly an extra 4cm, never seen one go that big before. I have big hands so I would rather use a retractable one than go back to using a short stumpy one.

[​IMG]

16. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I have one of these and I absolutely love it, but I do have to say, it does have a slight design flaw.

[​IMG]

I have had 2 DS Lites and a DSi, and I can tell you that the tightness of the stylus slot varies.
    The Battle stylus stays in my White DS Lite, but slides right out of my Gloss Silver DS Lite!
    It actually fits into my Black DSi very well though, nice and tight, although it's slightly fatter than a DSi stylus, so it sticks out *ever* so slightly.

I hope they make a new DSi Battle Stylus, that would be just great.

17. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    Yeah, I figured that out, by checking some other reviews..Some people complain about their stylus not staying in place, but mine fits perfect! Tight and secure, it feels like I would have to swing really hard with it to make stylus fall out!

EDIT: and just to add, even tho this stylus lacks the "nib" to secure it in it's place in NDS, the whole top part is a bit thicker, so it naturally stuck in.

18. Smartpal

Member Smartpal The Guitar Guy

India
    Looks really classy, just a bit expensive, I may get one when I have some more money.

19. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Hmm..looks like it's a nice stylus. But like others have said, not worth the price.

Was the price factored in with the score? Sure, perhaps you don't think $16 is a lot of money, but you have to compare it with what else is on the market. Is it worth 4 times the money?

Also, I apologize for saying this, but the review sounds a little positively biased. If the price wasn't factored in then I can understand the score but it still sounds like you were a little too hyped up about the product even before getting it. Please take this as constructive criticism. If you feel I'm wrong, then you may want to change your writing style to get your opinion across like you meant it. Or perhaps I'm just weird and read into it too much^^

20. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I don't know. This stylus looks good and all, but I think I'd rather stay with my retractable Hori one.