Nintendo DS Lite Pro Stylus Review

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Glacius0 said:
Hmm..looks like it's a nice stylus. But like others have said, not worth the price.

Was the price factored in with the score? Sure, perhaps you don't think $16 is a lot of money, but you have to compare it with what else is on the market. Is it worth 4 times the money?

Also, I apologize for saying this, but the review sounds a little positively biased. If the price wasn't factored in then I can understand the score but it still sounds like you were a little too hyped up about the product even before getting it. Please take this as constructive criticism. If you feel I'm wrong, then you may want to change your writing style to get your opinion across like you meant it. Or perhaps I'm just weird and read into it too much^^
Yes, price was factored in with the score..
As I said, this stylus is worth every cent of this $15.95..The problem with pricing is when you add shipping..
I have compared it with many other styli, check the pictures..I have used the whole variety of styli over the years, and don't apologize, I want constructive criticism, so I'm glad you voiced your opinion.

I wasn't "hyped" at all, I was excited to finally get a stylus I've read about, but had no way of getting it. And the fact that I had high expectations only made me test the stylus more detailed and more thorough..I took couple of weeks before decided to write a review..

It's just my opinion on this piece of hardware..You are free to check around a web, try and find other reviews to hear second opinion..But this is just how it it..
smile.gif

If I walked down the street, and saw this stylus in some shop, I wouldn't think twice to get it (at the price of $16)..However, paying shipping to Croatia would be additional $10 (at very best), and in that case, it's just a bit too much).

But, did you take in consideration that PDA Panache offer lifetime warranty..Meaning, at any given time, you are free to send them your stylus, and they will fix the tip for you!

Posts merged

QUOTE(Minox_IX @ Apr 13 2009, 01:43 PM) I don't know. This stylus looks good and all, but I think I'd rather stay with my retractable Hori one.
I had the chance to use that one too (friend of mine has it), and even Hori's tip can't mach this one..
smile.gif

Uchiha Obito

Trophies
XP
Country
This is actually nice but where I come from... Damn, the cost will be almost 30€...

And it really pisses me since i was getting really thrilled about this but when I look at the costs... DAMN!!!!

CapnJimby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
I have one of these and I absolutely love it, but I do have to say, it does have a slight design flaw.

I have had 2 DS Lites and a DSi, and I can tell you that the tightness of the stylus slot varies.
The Battle stylus stays in my White DS Lite, but slides right out of my Gloss Silver DS Lite!
Seconded, it won't stay at all in mine. To a further point, it actually used to stay snug for a bit, but eventually it must have stretched the plastic as it won't stay in the slightest anymore. Yes, the feel to it is unmatched, but there's always a good chance you may lose this one.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
quick question for you toni -

you know the little lump on the original styli that keeps the stylus from falling out of it's slot? I know that little bump easily gets worn down... how is the bump on the battle stylus?

edit: I think bennyboy answered the question...

mixinluv2u

Trophies
Website
www.glowsticking.com
XP
Country
United States
Toni: were you using this stylus with a screen protector? did you test out the promo pen-sized stylus they sent you?

i have one of these and i also got the promo pen-sized stylus with it. at first i thought it was great also, but after playing a game that requires fast and intense stylus movement (Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword), i noticed that this stylus is starting to leave scratch marks on my screen protector.

i switched back to the original stylus that came with my DS lite and no more scratches, so i stuck with the original one to finish Ninja Gaiden.

also their website claims that the pen-sized promo stylus has the same quality tip as the battle stylus, which i don't know if i believe. my gf borrowed the pen-sized stylus and played cooking mama, which upon minutes, scratched her screen protector to hell. i tried it on my ds lightly and also felt the tip on the pen-stylus to be much more scratchy than the battle stylus.

the weight of the stylus can be a pro when you are using it, but it also weights your ds lite down while you carry it around. i have a crystal clear case on just like Toni, which already made my ds lite heavier and bulkier. with the added weight of the battle stylus it feels like a brick, that's another thing that stopped me from carrying it around.

so for now, i leave my battle stylus at home. and if i am playing games that does not require too intense of a stylus action i use the battle stylus. otherwise, just to be safe i use the original nintendo stylus.

by the way, i am using BestSkinsEver screen protectors, which is to my knowledge, much much much more scratch resistant than regular screen protectors. and to be honest, most games are okay with the battle stylus. i used it with TWEWY and Zelda and they were both fine. but EBA and Ninja Gaiden left some circular marks (EBA spins) and vertical marks (Ninja Gaiden special move where you move the stylus over your character back and forth to charge it up). that can only leave me with the conclusion that the original nintendo stylus is still the best and the most gentle on your screen.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
mixinluv2u said:
Toni: were you using this stylus with a screen protector? did you test out the promo pen-sized stylus they sent you?

i have one of these and i also got the promo pen-sized stylus with it. at first i thought it was great also, but after playing a game that requires fast and intense stylus movement (Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword), i noticed that this stylus is starting to leave scratch marks on my screen protector.

i switched back to the original stylus that came with my DS lite and no more scratches, so i stuck with the original one to finish Ninja Gaiden.

also their website claims that the pen-sized promo stylus has the same quality tip as the battle stylus, which i don't know if i believe. my gf borrowed the pen-sized stylus and played cooking mama, which upon minutes, scratched her screen protector to hell. i tried it on my ds lightly and also felt the tip on the pen-stylus to be much more scratchy than the battle stylus.

the weight of the stylus can be a pro when you are using it, but it also weights your ds lite down while you carry it around. i have a crystal clear case on just like Toni, which already made my ds lite heavier and bulkier. with the added weight of the battle stylus it feels like a brick, that's another thing that stopped me from carrying it around.

so for now, i leave my battle stylus at home. and if i am playing games that does not require too intense of a stylus action i use the battle stylus. otherwise, just to be safe i use the original nintendo stylus.

by the way, i am using BestSkinsEver screen protectors, which is to my knowledge, much much much more scratch resistant than regular screen protectors. and to be honest, most games are okay with the battle stylus. i used it with TWEWY and Zelda and they were both fine. but EBA and Ninja Gaiden left some circular marks (EBA spins) and vertical marks (Ninja Gaiden special move where you move the stylus over your character back and forth to charge it up). that can only leave me with the conclusion that the original nintendo stylus is still the best and the most gentle on your screen.

just a theory, but I believe the bestskinsever screen protectors have too much friction when you use it intensely with a stylus. dragging the stylus across the screen will drag/smudge the screen protector. I have bestskinsever for my iphone, and it seems that way to me. Hori screen protectors are much more fluid when you drag a stylus across it...I'd advise those instead. Best skins ever might be better for anti-scratch and protection, but hori's probably what you want for a touch screen (that uses styli)

bwillard01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bennyboy371 said:
RupeeClock said:
I have one of these and I absolutely love it, but I do have to say, it does have a slight design flaw.

I have had 2 DS Lites and a DSi, and I can tell you that the tightness of the stylus slot varies.
The Battle stylus stays in my White DS Lite, but slides right out of my Gloss Silver DS Lite!
Seconded, it won't stay at all in mine. To a further point, it actually used to stay snug for a bit, but eventually it must have stretched the plastic as it won't stay in the slightest anymore. Yes, the feel to it is unmatched, but there's always a good chance you may lose this one.

Thirded, after a few weeks of use the Battle was always falling out of my DS lite, & after that pretty much any stylus is not held snugly anymore. The Battle stylus itself is excellent though.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess I cant wait for the dsi battle stylus to come out.

I have 2 many styluses so i wont purchase but its nice that someone has a nice solid upgrade. I have a few of those telescoping ones and they dont really feel 2 sturdy imo.

G

galggod

if a stylus falls out of it slot just put some tape at the back it worked for my original phat stylus

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Goten said:
This is actually nice but where I come from... Damn, the cost will be almost 30€...

And it really pisses me since i was getting really thrilled about this but when I look at the costs... DAMN!!!!
Yeah, I know what you mean, but getting it here to Croatia would go for about the same price!
frown.gif

That's the only bad thing I found about it..

wchill said:
It's so expensive, you could buy a flashcard + memory from DX at`that price!
Well yeah, but as I said, in my opinion, it's worth the upgrade, as it actually improved my gaming experience.

mixinluv2u said:

Yes, I used it both on NDS with screen protector (the Crimson/Black NDS you see in the most pictures), and other NDS (white/transparent that you can see on one picture) without it, and in both cases screen was unscratched after couple of weeks using it.
I was playing Ouendan and EBA on hard, as well as Ninja Gaiden on hard (I wasn't playing trough the games, but more like testing them), and I heavily used stylus..No scratches, however, I did clean my screens before every playing, and also, cleaned the tip of my stylus with that glass-cleaning-tissue (can't remember the right term).
Screen was moving perfectly smooth over the screens on both NDS's, but I kinda got the feeling that it does move a bit smoother over the clean screen..It could have been my imagination tho.

About that promo pen stylus, I didn't checked it too much, as I oriented and concentrated on the Battle Stylus, however, I did used it a bit, it's very pleasurable to use when I'm at home, tip was black, so I couldn't compare it directly, and tell that it's the very same quality as Battle Stylus, but from what I see, it doesn't feel the same, it feels like Nintendo's officially stylus, a bit more "plastic"..But trough the time I was using it, it didn't made any scratches!

About the weight, I understand what you mean! It could be a con in some cases (as in your case), but I was taking purely gaming point of view when I talked about the weight.
PharaohsVizier said:
Hehe Toni I see you finally went out and got yourself one
smile.gif
Took you long enough XD

Anyways, I still have mine, easily the best stylus ever. I'm shocked to hear that it will fit in the DSi, because we know what stylus is going to be in my DSi now.
smile.gif

smile.gif
Yeah, and by the way, thanks for hearing me out and offering to help months ago about Battle Stylus! It was a very nice gesture..

xcdjy said:
Christ, is this really worth front-page? A review of a freakin' stylus?

What's this forum coming to?
It's an official GBAtemp review, of course it's worth a front-page news..It's our article!

And as we always say, if you don't like the site, you're not forced into coming here!
tongue.gif

DeMoN said:
Is it just me, or does the tip look like it's actually glowing? At first I thought that the tip was lit by an LED or something.
laugh.gif
It's not glowing, but it can give away that feeling at some angles..Orange tip is very bright, and it "glows" in pictures because of the flash (and a bit of my radioactive energy
wink.gif
)..

QUOTE(xcdjy @ Apr 13 2009, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE(DeMoN @ Apr 13 2009, 07:49 PM)
Is it just me, or does the tip look like it's actually glowing? At first I thought that the tip was lit by an LED or something.

I guess Toni made it go all radioactive
happy.gif
Sure I did add a bit of myself into it!

QUOTE(TTDSman18 @ Apr 13 2009, 09:36 PM)
i guess I cant wait for the dsi battle stylus to come out.

I have 2 many styluses so i wont purchase but its nice that someone has a nice solid upgrade. I have a few of those telescoping ones and they dont really feel 2 sturdy imo.
Well, I used two kinds of telescoping styli, and one type was really OK (the ones from DealExtreme), but the other felt kinda flimsy, and like it's going to fall apart..

This stylus, however, looks like it can survive anything..

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
this topic makes me want to show my own stylus collection.

from top to bottom:
1: demon extendable stylus for DSlite(from a 3pack 2xblack 1xwhite)
2: custom extra phat stylus(made it myself using a phat stylus, great for sweaty-hand games like ouendan)
3: standard nintendo lite stylus
4: standard nintendo phat stylus

a stylus isn't really something i would order online.
i was lucky the local freerecordshop had some demon extendables in stock, other shops only sell cheap copies of the standard ones.

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
PharaohsVizier said:
By the way Toni, would this happen to be your first review? It is amazing, and the photos are great! I hope to see you writing more reviews in the future, no offense to current mag staff intended XD
blush.gif

Yeah, it's my first review....Thanks for kind words, maybe I will do some more reviewing in the future, who knows..I didn't want anything too hard for my first interview.

I just got an confirmation that there WILL be a DSi model released, very soon.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great review Toni. I enjoyed reading it. Congrats on it being your first too.

I might look into this when I get some cash. Or maybe some third-party people will make clones of these and will be available on DX.

$16+shipping is was too much for me. I can't even afford a retractable stylus set for $4 off DX.

But anyways, It's funny, I also though the orange tip was a LED light. That's a good idea for the future though eh?

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
As I said I use a retractable stylus and I have noticed from a few of these posts there are two different kinds..

The one I use (And I believe to look much stronger) is the retractable which splits from the centre.. It is very strong...

The other one would be the flimsy looking one (It may be strong, just saying how it looks to me) which splits up the end near that holder thing..

From the photos the 1st one that I mentioned looks a lot sturdier than the other one which looks like it could break very easily..

Ill leave it up to you guys to decide.. Thats just my personal opinion..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte