Nintendo Direct Gossip

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[quote name='LightyKD' timestamp='1338819922' post='4245493'][quote name='Joe88' timestamp='1338819526' post='4245482']
[quote name='chris888222' timestamp='1338818366' post='4245471] Is it multitouch? Doubt it, since it uses a styli.[/quote]
resistive screen only support one point of contact
[/quote]

There are many multitouch resistive screens. The DSLite had one as well as many Chinese Android tablets. I would not be surprised if the Wii-U GamePad had a multitouch screen.[/quote]the dsl does not support multitouch, I just tried it with pictochat,
I dont see any device that says resistive and multitouch on the market besides those cheap tablets that claim multitouch but its not
I even have a cheap resistive tab that says multitouch but all it does is confuse the device and nothing happens

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
[quote name='chris888222' timestamp='1338819689' post='4245490']
[quote name='Joe88' timestamp='1338819526' post='4245482']
[quote name='chris888222' timestamp='1338818366' post='4245471] Is it multitouch? Doubt it, since it uses a styli.[/quote]
resistive screen only support one point of contact
[/quote]
Yes, that's why I say I doubt it's multitouch since most resistive touchscreens uses styli.

Exception being the Galaxy Note, that is.
[/quote]
According to Nintendo's filed patent:
" the touch panel 52 is a resistive-type touch panel. However, the touch panel is not limited to the resistive-type, and may be a touch panel of any type including, for example, a capacitive type"

This practically means multi touch, which is something I find to be a very unnecessary feature to have for something that also uses buttons.
Anyway, a resistive touchscreen with a stylus beats capacitive in precision any day easily. Capacitive styluses suck and have the tip covering up what your doing on the screen. It would be impractical to use with an app like colors or a game like wario ware diy.
The reason why phones began using capacitive screens is because it makes it easier to make phone calls with your thumb despite the small screen.

The Galaxy Note however uses a very different kind of technology compared to what we're used to, downside is that it's expensive as shit.

Reactions: 3 people

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Joe88 If I remember correctly, there are a few DS Lite homebrew apps using multitouch and Taiko drum Master for DS had multitouch. Just to be clear I'm saying if I remember correctly because it has been a few years and those things could have been debunked.

chris888222 said:
I want a galaxy note stylus so badly. They start off at $19+ USD on Ebay. It's the best damn capacitive stylus around! I don't know why more people wont just make fine point capacitive styli.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I want a galaxy note stylus so badly. They start off at $19+ USD on Ebay. It's the best damn capacitive stylus around! I don't know why more people wont just make fine point capacitive styli.
No, you misunderstood my point, the galaxy note stylus isn't a stylus for capacitive screens, it's only for the specific technology incorporated in the Galaxy Note.

The Galaxy Note doesn't use resistive nor capacitive, it uses it's own thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bu7YG6qfcc

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
So that means that Nintendo's touchscreens are resistive yet multitouch?

I have to say though, their screens, being resistive, are very responsive.
DS was capable of multi touch but it was never used since it isn't necessary when you have four face buttons and a d-pad.

Homebrew multi touch:

lol

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you misunderstood my point, the galaxy note stylus isn't a stylus for capacitive screens, it's only for the specific technology incorporated in the Galaxy Note. The Galaxy Note doesn't use resistive nor capacitive, it uses it's own thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bu7YG6qfcc

Interesting. The bit of Info I read was wrong. Thanks for the clarification :)

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
More mario and casual stuff with underpowered machines at low / last gen factory price selling like hot cakes? No thank you.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
More mario and casual stuff with underpowered machines at low / last gen factory price selling like hot cakes? No thank you.
Errr... Last gen powered device? Really?
As far as the current Big N trend goes it seems so. A Wii somewhere a little up ahead a Ps2 / Xbox. A 3DS somewhat like a buffed up PSP. The Wii U rumored as a tad more powerful than Ps3 and 360.
That's quite enough to me, no comment on the rehashed old soup franchises . Well if there is offers there is demands, i guess. :O

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as the current Big N trend goes it seems so. A Wii somewhere a little up ahead a Ps2 / Xbox. A 3DS somewhat like a buffed up PSP. The Wii U rumored as a tad more powerful than Ps3 and 360.
That's quite enough to me, no comment on the rehashed old soup franchises . Well if there is offers there is demands, i guess. :O
Calling it a tad more powerful is an understatement, it's going to be a lot stronger than a "tad".

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Calling it a tad more powerful is an understatement, it's going to be a lot stronger than a "tad".

But as soon as the successors to the PS3 and 360 arrive, its almost guaranteed the Wii U will be outdated in comparison. My question is will 3rd party developers be willing to go between a weaker system and the stronger competitors. This generation showed that the "hardcore" games did not exactly make it to Wii due to hardware limitations and a reluctance by developers. We shall see what happens this generation.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Eh, hopefully..

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But as soon as the successors to the PS3 and 360 arrive, its almost guaranteed the Wii U will be outdated in comparison. My question is will 3rd party developers be willing to go between a weaker system and the stronger competitors. This generation showed that the "hardcore" games did not exactly make it to Wii due to hardware limitations and a reluctance by developers. We shall see what happens this generation.
I understand that, but that's still no reason to under exaggerate the system.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I think some of you guys have to be dumb or trolling. Like seriously.
I really didn't believe the wii u will be that far behind to miss
general multiplats.
The other systems can't be the huge graphical leap everyone wants them to be, Sony are continuing losing money and a power house isn't their solution, these are systems priced within a $300-$400 range, there's only so much you can do with the tech you get for that price.
We already know what to expect from the Wii U from real devs and Nintendo's comments about the Wii situation and how they want to be competetive and future proof against the future generation.
Gearbox's recent statements says that's it's a true generational step and following the durango/orbis rumors they won't be that far ahead.
We will once again be in the same situation as the GCXPS2 era where the PS2 despite being a weaker system got both multiplatform games and third party exclusives.

Some of the reasons to why the PS2 was such a success was because it was one of the first consoles of it's generation, it was cheap, doubled as a DVD player (something I remember a lot of people bought it for), featured USB ports and casual games like the EyeToy plus it had backwards compatibility.

Having all these new free online features, diverse control schemes and promised graphical power while keeping the sales the Wii had, the U has the potential to become this generations PS2 in terms of support.

As you may know comparing a multi platform game like RE4 having the GC and PS2 versions side by side makes it pretty easy for you to spot the graphical differences.
But if you play it at home on the GC and then at a friends house on a PS2 it's likely that you won't notice any differences between them at all, unless you're a tech geek.

What I'm trying to say is that next generation multiplats won't be like what Nintendo did with the Wii, this time differences will be very small and go unnoticed by consumers.
According to a recent Iwata statement he thinks that the Wii failed to deliver on many aspects and that he don't want to be in the same situation in the future.
And of course the solution he's talking about is competitive hardware and online.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
there's gonna be way more games than just mario and nintys this time nearly all of the 3rd party devs are on board from the get go this time even ones that weren't interested in the wii. as for underpowered don't expect the ps4/720 whatever they fuck they call it to be 10 times powerfuller and 30x better gfx it's not going to happen this time not on consoles. i can tell you now what the BIG differences are going to be: the other machines will run in 1080p (proper FULL 1080p this time) and run at 60fps there will be no other differences and the wiiu will be exactly the same :P

how about we wait for e3 to see?

Reactions: 1 person

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm too lazy to create a new thread and it would probably be fitting here, but the Wii U might be 30,000 yen.
http://andriasang.co...ei_nintendo_e3/
That's almost £250... same price as the 3DS at launch and a little less than the 3G version of the Vita. That seems quite cheap for a next-generation console.
EDIT: Ignore, didn't see the other thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb