Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gasp! Nintendo Developing App for iOS, Android
c110701_01_pic01.jpg
QUOTE said:
Typically we wouldn't write anything Pokémon-related for obvious reasons, but reports that Nintendo is bringing its coveted pocket monster franchise to Apple's iOS and Google's Android is significant. Why? Because this will be the first time a Nintendo 1st-party title won't be on Nintendo hardware that we know of, especially a Pokémon title.

Kotaku Japan reports that Nintendo and Game Freak are bringing an original Pokémon title to the AppStore and Android Market this summer. Called "Pokémon Say Tap? BW," the app uses music and on-screen Pokémon cards in a timing game. It will be free to download and install although it's possible that Nintendo may charge for additional cards/music similar to Tap Tap Revolution.

The news arrives after the launch of Sony Ericsson's PlayStation-certified Xperia Play smartphone. In addition to featuring a cool slide-out gamepad, the Android smartphone also plays host to Sony's PlayStation Suite, an emulator (so to speak) allowing gamers to play classic PlayStation and PlayStation 2 titles on the device. The suite is also scheduled to arrive on Tegra-based Android phones and tablets later on in 2011.

Although Nintendo claims otherwise, a study conducted in 2010 by Morgan Stanley’s Katy Huberty revealed that Apple's iPad and iPod Touch were indeed hurting Nintendo's revenue in the portable sector. "It’s really a new product category that is suited for lifestyle entertainment, but it also opens a host of new possibilities for game experiences, which currently has three games in the Top 10," said Adam Sussman, VP of EA Mobile, referring to the swank new iPad at the time. "It enables us to create new game experiences that are really different and very exciting."

But Nintendo is in complete denial even though it began offering a similar bite-sized format for the Wii (WiiWare) and DSi (DSiWare). "A lot of people want to paint the scenario that in order for the App Store for Apple or any other competitor, for them to enjoy any momentum, it has to be at our expense," said Charlie Scibetta, Sr. Director, Corp. Comm. for Nintendo of America. "I don’t necessarily subscribe to that."

Sure thing. Personally I haven't picked up my DS handheld for years thanks to iOS and just recently Android. Yet here we are with Pokémon heading to both mobile platforms this summer. Could it be based on the underwhelming sales of the just-launched Nintendo 3DS despite setting a new hand-held record on opening day? The new app doesn't seem much of a coincidence or a surprise for that matter based on the heat provided by Apple and Google/Sony. Does this mean iOS and Android owners will see a Nintendo Suite? Let's cross our fingers.
Source

Hopefully, Nintendo will create more apps in the future!
yay.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
To sum it up:

- Nintendo is realizing people like iDevices
- Nintendo knows people love Pokemon
- Nintendo will market on this with a game produced for about $15 that will sell for $5

Eh. What caught my attention was that Playstation Suite thing being able to emulate PS2 games. Pretty sure there is no phone as powerful as a PS2 yet.

Ron457x2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has been suddenly hearing voices of mobile(phone) gaming, now they want to increase
their market share by making apps. Seems like they'll be getting moar moneyzz
rolleyes.gif

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That would be great if Nintendo went mobile. A lot of the audience that the DS was aimed at (the casual audience) is gaming on their phones, so it would be a good marketing move to release games in that market.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
YayMii said:
heartgold said:
hang on, it might not be Nintendo, it could be the pokemon company, they have much right as Nintendo I think...
The image in the OP has a copyright to Nintendo in it...
Pokemon is jointly owned between Nintendo, pokemon company, gamefreak and some other Maybe their names had to be included. Maybe pokemon company were pushing for it.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The title shocked me, but then I realized it is Pokemon.

They've milked it in every way possible, and they just keep trying.

No big deal. As long as they don't keep making pointless apps.

pistone

Trophies
in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
XP
Country
Albania
for me it will be a cross-favor if nintendo releases something for ios and android it has its own reasons ...........maybe just to say:
I CAN ENTER THE MOBILE WORLD LIKE NOTHING AND HAVE MORE SALES THAN ANY MID-RANGE/BIG CORPORATE OUT THERE SO.............DONT SCREW WITH ME .
IF YOU ENTER THE HANDLED WORLD (this is for apple and sony-ericsson) I CAN EASILY ENTER THE PHONE WORLD AND TAKE THE MAJORITY PART OF THE SHARES (i mean .....come on .....a phone with nintendo hardware/games.......a guarantied success!)
SO LET EVERYONE HAVE ITS OWN FIELD OF SALES

and i think (my personal opinion so no trolling) this is the most realistic scenario

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1