Nintendo confirms work on the Wii 2 is underway

DarkRey

still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
QUOTE said:
Nintendo confirms work on the Wii 2 is underway

Nintendo, as you might expect, is approaching things a bit differently. President Satoru Iwata freely admits the company is already working on the Wii's successor (something Microsoft's Shane Kim refuses to concede). However, he adds that he doesn't view the hardware as particularly interesting.

"We are always preparing for the next hardware," Iwata says. "We are under development. … But the hardware is a kind of box that consumers reluctantly buy in order to play our games."

To that end, Nintendo will keep its development well under wraps until Wii sales dry up--in other words, not anytime soon--and developers run out of ways to utilize the system's interface (ditto).

Nintendo, though, is in an unusual position. With the company's huge success with the current-generation console, consumers are going to expect a lot from it whenever the successor to the Wii is unveiled.

"Every hardware needs some revolutionary features," Iwata says. "This time around, it happened to be we had a revolutionary user interface. Will it be the same for the next generation? I really can't tell.

"It's natural for the current customer to expect Nintendo is going to once again do something different," he continues. "If the people are expecting so many different things from Nintendo, it's going to be difficult for us to go beyond that expectation again."

hope they make it much powerful than wii 1 (better graphics)

edit:
here is the source for all the people that were asking
http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/07/2...29consoles.html
read whole of it

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Of course they are working on it.. same way as Sony is already working on the PS4 and MS is working on the Xbox something.. that's not news for anyone, you can't stand still on this business..
tongue.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fact: Nintendo, Sony and M$ are working on their next systems... both portable and otherwise. Apple is working on a new iPod. Anyone that has a decent selling product, no matter how recently its come out, or how well its doing, is trying to make it better.

Opinion: Ya'll are asshats.
Wait, no, that belonged under "Fact" as well.

Opinion: I am awesome.
Ooops, again, another fact. Sorry.

Speculation: Wii 2 will be out in 2010.
Yup, full on. Not even *my* speculation, but a spec none the less.

Speculation: the new DS (or a new portable nintendo system) will be out before the Wii 2.
Thats my own... and i'm pretty dead-set on that one.

Please, talk these over. Any disagreements, take it up with... erm, i dunno... CockroachMan. Yea, PM him with your hate speak towards me. He wants to hear it.
wtf.gif

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That and describing the system as "a kind of box that consumers reluctantly buy in order to play our games." What the hell? Fishyness aside, it sounds like he all of a sudden isn't so fond of his position in the company.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Because Nintendo realizes the current Wii hardware is more dated than multimedia fans and traditional gamers would like.

Such as its mediocre widescreen support. 4:3 games shouldn't be horizontally stretched now that widescreen TVs are growing in popularity.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This isn't really news... everyone knows the companies start work on their new systems right after their current ones are released

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet next gen Wii won't even have graphics with the power of current gen systems. Since they seem to focus on the casual market.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
science said:
This isn't really news... everyone knows the companies start work on their new systems right after their current ones are released

Exactly. Thats just what i was trying to say. Also, Sony is at work on the PS4. WHAT?! Thats right! They have a team working on the Next Gen systems right now! WOW!

(and yes, CockroachMan is willing to accept any disagreements anyone has with me. His last post revealed that!
lecture.gif
)

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
I bet next gen Wii won't even have graphics with the power of current gen systems. Since they seem to focus on the casual market.

I disagree, the next gen Wii will just be one step under all the other consoles, like it is now.

Everyone seems to be moving to the casual market, Nintendo just did it really quickly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'll pick Wario, Samus, Captain Falcon and Nester