Nintendo and the nostalgia.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by BootsLoader, Mar 12, 2016.

1. BootsLoader
    OP

BootsLoader GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2015
    Greece
    I don't know about you but as much as i hate the last moves of Nintendo, i always respect that company because they game me the best childhood compared to the other consoles. That feeling that i had when playing mario party , mario kart and other multiplayer games with my friends is priceless.

Anyone know this soundtrack? Time flies huh. I almost cry when i hear this and remember those days.

Hoppy likes this.
  2. EpicLPer

EpicLPer Nice unless you give me a reason to hate you ;)

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    I always get a few nostalgic tears in my eyes when I hear a song (or song style) reused by Nintendo from Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. I so badly want a sequel to this series :(

zoogie likes this.
  3. crwys

crwys GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 26, 2008
    United States
    Reported thread to be moved to the correct area. This is completely off topic.

4. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Nostalgia is the only thing keeping Nintendo afloat right now. That, and whatever they saved up from the Wii and DS.

5. Touko White

Touko White (not)Banned

Jan 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    It's rightly said that Nintendo is on its way to hell.
    They've made more stupid moves than I can count the last few years or so.

They're doing it again, releasing a game console before the ninth generation has started, meaning it will flop, once more. I haven't bought a game console from the eighth generation at all, and couldn't particularly care less.

For nostalgia records, Nintendo is better...

BootsLoader likes this.
  6. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    The last Nintendo good console was SNES, now it's terrible

7. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Subjective. I think most of them had their ups and downs. N64 had some flaws, but it had some incredible games and helped push gaming forward. Gamecube was good, but overshadowed. I thought the Wii was great. Wii U is the only console so far I don't think is at least good.

8. BootsLoader
    OP

BootsLoader GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2015
    Greece
    I think after that after SNES , N64 was their best console. Best games ever had, i put it on par with my PS2.

9. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    Let's put it objectively then.
    A "good" gaming console should at least have three factors:
    Technical aspect: must be technologically advanced enough to hold up for the time period it was released.
    Library: must have enough variety of games to please everyone.
    Price: must have a right price to be accessible for most people.

The SNES count with those three points passing with flying colors, even more than the NES.
    Technical aspect: there is no denying that the SNES could move really impressive games for his generation, wasn't the best in this aspect(NeoGeo was the best of this gen) but it looked really good and was scalable with enhancement chips to overcome those shortcomings.
    Library: this is where the SNES dominate, it had a game for everyone, from the well known platformers to the emerging shooters while having some surprises too (Starfox for example). If you can't find a game genre you like on the SNES is because you haven't looked hard enough.
    Price: while wasn't the cheaper it was under the acceptable scope, retailing at US$199.99. only 10 dollars apart from the Genesis at launch.

Compare that with the N64 and Gamecube and you'll see that they lack in one aspect: library.

brickmii82 likes this.
  10. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Everyone keeps whining that the N64 and GameCube lacks in library... yet they have enough games I want to play, that I don't even have the time to play!

nxwing, BootsLoader and N64 like this.
  11. Edrian

Edrian Ello

Feb 22, 2016
    Belize
    Nintendo is probably one of the first things I think of when it comes to nostalgia :3 Too bad the Wii U didn't do good lol.

12. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    The Gamecube had a fantastic library, had a very affordable price (post price drop GCN's were 99 bucks) and tended to outperform the PS2 on the multiplatform front. (see Simpsons Hit N Run or Sonic Heroes). Because of just how popular the PS2 was, the Gamecube got pretty overshadowed back in the day, and a lot of people remember it as an underwhelming console.

To back up my claims of it having a wealth of good games, let's rattle off some, shall we?
    Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Tales of Symphonia, definitive port of Skies of Arcadia and many other Dreamcast titles, LOZ Wind Waker, Baten Kaitos, Super Smash Bros Melee, Soul Caliber, Resident Evil...er...yeah. I think that's enough.

SNES and Gamecube will always be consoles that I have deep nostalgia for. I have no fond memories of the N64 though. Sparse few good games that it had, it at least made breakthrough innovations to gaming itself. The Wii has a few gems throughout the shovelware pile, and I'll open up the good ol Dolphin emu to play some online stuff from time to time with friends, but for the most part, I think it's library was pretty forgettable.

Nintendo is always going to be a company that I'll have interest in, they've been a staple all the way from my childhood, to this very day. I'm excited for the NX, yet part of me is quite wary, given their choices with the Wii U.

brickmii82 likes this.
  13. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    My Nintendo library is huge. That talks by itself :P

14. BootsLoader
    OP

BootsLoader GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2015
    Greece
    Errrrm ok but PS2 much more games. And very good ones. I can start writing a list but i'll finish tomorrow :P
    Ok i like nintendo consoles. I had a game cube also. But i can't compare game cube's library with PS2 game library.

All the consoles i had are : N64 , Game Cube , PS2 , PS3 , WII , XBOX 360 , WIIU , PS4, NDSlite , Nintendo 3Ds , PSP , PSvita

15. Touko White

Touko White (not)Banned

Jan 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Much more games but PS2 had no quality control, about 80% of games were shovelware.

GCN had more quality titles and indeed was good for multiplatform games despite the smaller discs. DC was also brilliant (and it has a specific game on it too).

Nintendo recently took down a ton of games on Vizzed and other stupid decisions they've made the last few years halts my respect for them nowadays.

16. Hungry Friend

Hungry Friend It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Apr 16, 2015
    United States
    I certainly have a lot of nostalgia for Nintendo even though my last Nintendo console was the N64. The GC was pretty cool and I simply wasn't gaming much by the time it had a good library, and as for the Wii and Wii U I have a personal distaste for forced gimmicks. While many people absolutely love the Wii and even the gamepad, I find both of them, especially the gamepad to be annoying forced additions. If they were optional in all games I'd be cool with both but I'm not into motion controls and the gamepad is big, bulky and makes the Wii U much more expensive than it should be. Also region locking is incredibly stupid and anti-consumer.

Rant aside, the NES and SNES are 2 of my favorite systems along with the PS2(because it's both a PS1 and 2) and the N64 has plenty of masterpieces as well. Nintendo still makes great games but amiibos are moronic DLC scams and I don't like being forced to use peripherals I don't want anything to do with. Innovation is good but don't force your ideas down our throats Nintendo. That said though, I want Nintendo to not only survive but thrive and become relevant again.

brickmii82, Touko White and VinsCool like this.
  17. Margen67

Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

Banned
    Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    Nintendo makes good games but that doesn't mean they're a good company.

Subtle Demise, nxwing and Touko White like this.
  18. BootsLoader
    OP

BootsLoader GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2015
    Greece
    Now I can't wait for the nx!!! I wonder what will change. Also, did anyone download miitomo? Did you like it?

19. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    nintendo and super mario is the first thing i think of when people say nostalgia. sadly, we have come so "far" that i don't think we will get anything that will be considered nostalgia in 15-20 years.
    Nostalgia to me is
    Nintendo DS
    PS2 - Spyro a hero's tale
    PSX - Spyro the dragon
    Super Mario 64
    Mario Kart DS (not many people think of this, but i do)
    Super Mario World
    Super Mario Bros 1/2/3

Sadly, companies are doing things different from how they did it in the "good days", even the music is different. the music part is what i kind of miss. i want the "old" type of music back. the type that was used on PSX and N64