Nintendo 3DS upgrade - Worth it ?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TheZoc, Sep 17, 2011.

Sep 17, 2011
  1. TheZoc
    OP

Member TheZoc GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Hey guys,

I have for a few years now an awesome Nintendo DS Lite. I really love it, and I still play on it very much (it really shortens my trip between university and some other distant places).

I was considering if it's worth to upgrade my system to a Nintendo 3DS. Of course, I live in Brazil, and getting an unit here is complete madness, but I found out some people selling their 3DS, and that might be useful. So, the questions:

- Is 3DS indeed a great portable console ?
    - Are 3DS games worth it ? Or there are just old games displayed in 3d (Zelda, SF4, etc.)
    - Is there any problems of buying an used unit ? (I mean, is there anything that's stored inside it that can be a problem to buy an used unit? Of course, the scratches and stuff is the obvious thing, I'm wondering for the non-obvious stuff.)
    - Other than the missing GBA port from NDS Lite, is there anything else that is incompatible/unsupported ?
    - Is the battery life as good as NDS Lite ?
    - Is there an upgrade planned to the current 3DS? ( Like the NDS -> NDSL -> NDSi ? )
    - Any advices that you may give me regarding Nintendo 3DS?

Thank you in advance!

2. DroRox

Member DroRox Ambassador of Ooo

United States
    Personally I really like 3DS games. I think it's worth it.
    As for backwards compability:
    GBA not supported (duh), all NDS games supportes, some DSiWare tranferrable.
    The battery life is durable if you're in power saver and dont always use the 3D feature.
    As for an upgrade to the current 3DS: it's speculated. You see we have proven that there is an attachment in Japan for the current 3DS that adds another slide pad on the ABXY side of the handheld. It is speculated this will be built in in a later moodel.

3. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore

4. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    3DS is about 3-5 hours battery.

5. chris888222

Singapore
    He was probably referring to 2D content as he pointed DS Lite, which lasted me 7 - 9 hours.

3D content for me is about 4 - 5.5 hours

6. blaziken

Newcomer blaziken Advanced Member

Germany
    the 3ds is a great device but low battery

but if you are willing to pay 15 $ then you could buy this... the battery will hold like 10 hours then

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Pak-Nintendo-3...0615&sr=8-3

if you get a 3ds you will still be able to play you dslite game...
    i got one and love it

7. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    3DS will be worth it.
    Current lineup no.
    Future lineup FUCK YEAH!

8. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    3DS is definitly worth it. The current lineup is weak, but we get some great games this holiday and more great games next year. And this is just the beginning. The future seems bright [​IMG]

EDIT:
    Does anyone know a good place to buy/order one of these in Germany?

9. pachura

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Just wait. Don't buy 3DS now.

Contrary to what fanboys will be saying, 3DS is not by any means "a great portable console". It is just ok, but feels rushed and not well-thought in some aspects: battery life is disappointing, online features suck, camera quality sucks, DS games are unsharp when emulated, there are the "loose hinge" and "screen scratching" problems. Screen resolution and GPU capabilities are mediocre by today's standards. A new revision with 2 slidepads & slightly bigger screen is unevitable, so I would at least wait for it.

On the other hand, even not-so-great hardware could by saved by fantastic games (see DS triumphing over PSP). The problem is that right now, there are only 2 must-haves for 3DS: Zelda and DOA. Maybe also Starfox. The rest are either lousy ports (Rayman, Asphalt, Sims, Monkey Ball...), lack content (Resident Evil, Pilotwings...) or are not worth their price (Steel Diver, Dream Trigger, Puzzle Bobble...). The last time I checked, there was only one dedicated 3DS game you could buy online. AR games - you will play them for a week and then never come back.

Plus, the PSVita is coming soon and it seems that Sony got it right this time. 2 analog nubs from the beginning, great graphical capabilities (think PS3 vs. Wii), much better screen (higher resolution, AMOLED). No region locking. Probably video playing capabilities from start (3DS cannot play your own videos). "Uncharted" available at launch. Obviously, I can only judge by the specs released on the web, as PSVita has not yet been released. But I would at least wait for its initial reviews because it might turn out to be a better choice. Granted, it won't have the 3D effect, but many 3DS owners admit they turn it off after the initial "wow!!!", as it's easier to play and not so eye-tiring.

10. chris888222

Singapore
    @TheZoc

Yes OP, there are some points in Pachura's post that you really need to consider. I was just merely answering your questions and didn't focus on this.

The largest problem with DS games on the 3DS is that it's 'cloudy' and not sharp, thanks to higher resolution screens. (Nintendo tried their best to correct it, with outdated methods obviously).

The 3DS will get the second stick (and additional two triggers). But only a few games utilize it and it's bulky. It would never fit your pocket. Consider why people don't want a DSi XL.

The Vita is region free and has two thumb sticks built in straight. According to online, people also say that it's awfully light. 3DS on the other hand is region locked for 3DS/DSi software, but region free for DS games.

@Pachura

Vita doesn't have an AMOLED display. It's just ordinary OLED. They are different. Also the Vita battery life is also pretty disappointing (and Sony promises an external battery - likely to be overpriced like their storage formats).

EDIT: One large thing I forgot to mention, the 3DS has a really bad online system. It's better than the DS, but still worse than expectations. Connection speeds are noticeably faster and only one friend code is needed, but the browser somewhat lags and friend codes are still a hassle (drastically improved though). What i'm most disappointed in: the eShop. The eShop is a mess and only has DSiWare being the majority (which btw has already been released on the DSi Shop).

11. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    answers in bold.

12. chris888222

Singapore
    Best answer for you, if you intend to get a 3DS just for DS games, it's not worth it. The backwards compatibility is there, but it's just not worth it.

13. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    I think you should wait till the confreance on tuesday to see if their gonna re model the 3ds. in the mean time get the SCDS2 to enjoy some gba and snes games you always wanted to play and to kill some time

14. TheZoc
    OP

Brazil
    Whoa, thank you for all the replies! [​IMG]

For the color itself... Well, I just like Black. My loved NDSL is black, and I wouldn't change it at all.
    Also, I don't like DSiXL... it's too big. =/

Conference ? I'm not aware of this, can you give me more details about it, please?
    This now just made me nervous.

=====

I'm willing to get the 3ds for the reasons:
    - I need to buy another DS unit. I'm willing to gift it. So I thought "Why not gift mine, that's in perfect condition, and get a 3ds for myself?". Might sound hard to believe, but my ds is indeed like new, even after a few years of use. If it's worth upgrading, why not?
    - I don't plan on spending more than US$110 on a new unit. And I found out that I can buy one used 3ds unit in about that price.
    - I have a month or so to decide either buying a DS Lite or an used 3DS. I need to add the shipping time into that.

Also, I'd love to play zelda and starfox for 3ds. I know they're remakes of N64, but I never actually completed any of the 2 games (I blame my younger brother deleting my save games QQ)

Thank you a LOT for your replies! Please, keep your opinions coming. They're of great use to help me deciding if I should buy or not a 3DS!

Edit: Can I play a DS Multiplayer game using a NDSL and a 3DS ?
    AKA: Can I join NDS multiplayer sessions using a 3DS ?

15. chris888222

Singapore
    If you plan to invest some $$ on 3DS software and some really entice you, then why not? You can play your DS games on it as well.

Since you don't like the XL, and if you don't mind cloudy displays on your DS games, then I'd suggest 3DS. If you're picky on the graphics, then meh. DSi

EDIT: To answer to your question, YES IT CAN. FYI the DS games even utilize the 3DS analog stick for controlling.

16. TheZoc
    OP

Brazil
    Can you tell me more about the ambassador program ?
    Do you need to have activated it before a specific date, or there's a serial number of some sorts that grants old 3DS the ability to get into the ambassador program?

17. chris888222

Singapore
    If the 3DS is logged into the eShop or has a firmware update performed before a date (I forgot when was it) then you'll be eligible.

But being sold at such a low price, i don't think it is eligible.

18. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

You can't access it now, because to get into it, you had to access the shop at least once before the 14th of August or something.

19. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France

If he bought his 3DS before the 14th of august, he might still be able to access the ambassador program, but he will need to mail Nintendo with proof of purchase, the "how to" is normally explained on the official Nintendo website.

20. pachura

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Currently 3DS is exactly in the same stage as early PSP was: most games are straight ports; there are no must-haves or games really exploiting 3DS features in smart, innovative ways.