1. pachura

pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Where was the Cortex-A9 thing reported ?

2. lolzed

lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

A quick google comes up with this(linked just the important post)

3. Spongeroberto

Spongeroberto GBAtemp Regular

Bhutan
    But then I'd have to buy a PSP [​IMG] Still that's interesting to know, I'll have to tell my brother.

Besides, aside from Tales of Eternia there aren't really any titles that interest me there [​IMG]

4. Juanmatron

Juanmatron Slater Color

The games doesn't use all the RAM. The RAM is divided in 3D, SO, etc...

5. TheNikkoMan

TheNikkoMan Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Norway
    Also, when looking at the System Menu layout, it looks like(!) you'll be able to use the browser while running software, like games. I'd imagine that using a lot of RAM.
    Great news btw

6. noONE

noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    That's already confirmed.

But as you said, that will take alot of RAM, if there's 96mB available to apps and the other supposed 32mB RAM is for OS & the backgrounded application (multitasking) it would be enough, but if it's the other way around and the backgrounded application keeps the 96mB and the new application gets 32mB to play with, that would be too low to work well.

It might work completely different though ofcourse [​IMG] only time will tell.

7. granville

granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    No offense, but it looks like the poster later corrected himself. And there's not "A9" on the front of the chip apparently. The challenge is still on. [​IMG]

8. TheNikkoMan

TheNikkoMan Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Norway
    But wouldn't the (uncertain) 32 mB limit for the browser eliminate any hope for flash, and maybe other cool features? [​IMG]

9. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Frankly, I'm against Flash. Or at least it should be removable. The already short battery life would take a nosedive.

10. noONE

noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    You know, they could make flash not load until you click on it, or you could inactivate it in settings..? best of both worlds?

11. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

United States
    What exactly do you mean by that? I hope you're not suggesting that all graphic-related data is duplicated to pull off the 3D effect, because that isn't how it works.

12. Berthenk

Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    I wonder how that's possible, RAM being volatile and all...

13. koji2009

koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Someone has never owned a PDA or smartphone I take it... RAM is volatile as in it loses it's data when there is no power. Cell phones and PDAs however, are always hooked up to a rechargable battery and most have backup non-rechargable batteries that need to be replaced once a year or so. Between the two the RAM has stable power.

As for RAM and flash... Who's to say that while "in game" certain web features can't be disabled? There is no reason to think that flash/full HTML5.0 can't be used when no game is loaded and the majority of RAM is available but disabled when in minimal/gamestate mode.

14. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

United States
    This is nothing new. My old iPAQ had 64MB of RAM that was allocated to both programs and storage, adjustable with a software slider. The device never completely turned off either due to this, but if the battery went dry, the the device (after being charged) would boot up as if it was the first time booting up.

Edit: Koji2009 beat me to it.

15. Bunie

Bunie #1 Princess

United States
    I do recall the original Xbox having 64MB of ram and pulling off things like Halo 2 and and Half-Life 2. Tho this was because of disk caching, one of the benefits of Carts is a fast read speed. I think we'll see some pretty sexy looking games coming from 128MB of ram. [​IMG]

16. koji2009

koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    But DS/3DS don't use traditional cartridges, that was one of the big reasons why the DS had so much ram (comparative to the GBA) and why some DS games (and now 3ds games) have loading screens. It's also the biggest reason why you could never emulate a regular GBA game on a regular DS [​IMG].

Access speeds (the amount of time to find the data) will be faster than traditional disc based systems, but read speeds won't be much improved, if any, and definitely wouldn't be as good as a traditional cart.

That said, overall it's much much cheaper to use the DS/3ds based cards... Early games (NES/SNES/Genesis/etc) the majority of the price of the game was actually to cover the price of the carts.

17. Mantis41

Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Back to the CPU identification:

The original post is a bit confusing.

[​IMG]
    At first they are talking about a chip labled CPU CTR from a slightly blurry picture. It is conjectured that this could be a cortex chip and possibly a cortex A9. Admittedly I can not see a 9 anywhere however the CTR seems to indicate a cortex design of some description.
    [​IMG]
    The post then rambles on a bit and shows a high res picture of a CPU TWL on the underside or from the other board. This is not the same CPU that was being discussed earlier in the post.

Based on these pictures and the observations made by various people the main CPU could be based on an arm cortex however, how many cores or the clock speed is anyone’s guess.

18. NinjaxFoote

NinjaxFoote Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hmm...I'm not sure how to go about doing it, but people's pulled files off of FCC's database before.
    There's gotta' be .PDFs of all the hardware somewhere on their servers, if anyone's up for all the digging. [​IMG]

19. flaboy909

flaboy909 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    If anyone can give me a ballpark date (month, year) of when the 3ds' patents started rolling out I would appreciate it (currently scouring the FCC's seas [​IMG]).

20. bigpaws

bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    mid may last year

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo, revealed,