Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
BlueStar said:
Thing is, the DS was an unusual launch. At the time it was very much of an experiment, which was supposed to live alongside the GBA instead of being a successor. This time it's their one and only handheld console of this gen at the get-go. I really don't think Nintendo are going to be so eager to push out revisions on the 3DS, what exactly would they improve? It's already got a backlight, its pretty slimline, the screens can't get bigger because of the 3D technology.
tech changes and bigger autostereoscopic screens are already possible

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like a lot of you are acting as if Nintendo is completely starting over again with this handheld. Which I get, but its not that case at all, there's a reason why DS is a part of the name and not just because of two screens, but it is very much a successor to the DSi. The original DS was not a successor to the GBA (though the clamp SP design was clearly a large influence), it was meant to be a third tier in gaming (in case it wasn't a success, though clearly it was), so they threw the gba functionality in it as a backup measure not to lose business, a good call but as time and the DSi proved, the gba functionality was no longer necessary. Anyway, I'm rambling, the point I'm making is the 3DS is a continuation of the DS, so they've clearly taken what works best for that system (levels of brightness, thickness, home type button, etc.) and implemented and improved on it in the 3DS. For that reason, I can't see a lite version ever coming into existence. However, as previously stated, a 3DSXL does seem like a likely possibility in the years to come. Though honestly I wouldn't want that, the DSiXL doesn't fit in my pocket, and I can play and see perfectly fine on my regular DSi. Essentially what I'm saying is, there may be one revision, but I can not see any more than one revision for the system, it seems almost perfect as it is.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
duffmmann said:
It seems like a lot of you are acting as if Nintendo is completely starting over again with this handheld. Which I get, but its not that case at all, there's a reason why DS is a part of the name and not just because of two screens, but it is very much a successor to the DSi. The original DS was not a successor to the GBA (though the clamp SP design was clearly a large influence), it was meant to be a third tier in gaming (in case it wasn't a success, though clearly it was), so they threw the gba functionality in it as a backup measure not to lose business, a good call but as time and the DSi proved, the gba functionality was no longer necessary. Anyway, I'm rambling, the point I'm making is the 3DS is a continuation of the DS, so they've clearly taken what works best for that system (levels of brightness, thickness, home type button, etc.) and implemented and improved on it in the 3DS. For that reason, I can't see a lite version ever coming into existence. However, as previously stated, a 3DSXL does seem like a likely possibility in the years to come. Though honestly I wouldn't want that, the DSiXL doesn't fit in my pocket, and I can play and see perfectly fine on my regular DSi. Essentially what I'm saying is, there may be one revision, but I can not see any more than one revision for the system, it seems almost perfect as it is.
I agree completely. All of the major updates to the original DS, such as those found in the DSi hardware, are included in the 3DS. If the 3DS sells strong, there won't be a reason for Nintendo to release a new model at all. It's only when sales start to slow drastically, (which I don't think will happen anytime within 2 years of launch), that Nintendo will have no choice but to revise and release a new version to stimulate sales.

Sure there's always room for improvement, but I think the 3DS hardware will sustain itself for a very long time, before a revision is necessary. That's why I'll be owning one at launch.

D

Deleted-236924

FireGrey said:
Proof? Well, there's no DS-SP so
tongue.gif
They didn't want to use Gameboy names with the DS in case it wouldn't do well on the market.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I'm definitely waiting a couple years. Got a feeling the ratio of good to garbage games will be a lot worse than the DS (so far the only 3 to excite me are all ports), so in a couple years there should be enough decent ones to justify the price, along with improved hardware and some mods
smile.gif

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
BlueStar said:
Thing is, the DS was an unusual launch. At the time it was very much of an experiment, which was supposed to live alongside the GBA instead of being a successor. This time it's their one and only handheld console of this gen at the get-go. I really don't think Nintendo are going to be so eager to push out revisions on the 3DS, what exactly would they improve? It's already got a backlight, its pretty slimline, the screens can't get bigger because of the 3D technology.
This

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo always got new ideas
qlum stated already a few and i can think of a lot of things as well
they don't do it with home consoles...but with portables....[1 g&w, 2gb, 3gba, 4ds, 5 3ds?]

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine as well get one now (Especially since my dad conviently gave me a 300 dollar check for christmas XD). Not much room for improvement as far as the hardware goes (And outside of some hardware crippling software issues, i doubt there'd be many changes there either).

Plus, you miss out on all of the launch games and hype if you wait
happy.gif

Mondegreen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm getting the 3DS at launch and I have already preordered. I still have my trusty DS Phat from 2004 and its still going strong. Plus I'm horrible at waiting for things. The 3DS made me preorder something for the first time ever.

Net_Bastard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I buy it before the upgrade, I'll probably be one of those "early adopters" and end up gaining respect in gaming forums such as this one, so yeah, I'll buy the first model.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Net_Bastard said:
If I buy it before the upgrade, I'll probably be one of those "early adopters" and end up gaining respect in gaming forums such as this one, so yeah, I'll buy the first model.
If you are an early adopter and that, one year from now, Nintendo releases a 3DS Lite in which EVERYTHING is improved and the price is cheaper, the rest of us who didn't buy the first model will laugh our asses off. And it takes more than being an early adopter to gain respect.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pyrmon24 said:
Net_Bastard said:
If you are an early adopter and that, one year from now, Nintendo releases a 3DS Lite in which EVERYTHING is improved and the price is cheaper, the rest of us who didn't buy the first model will laugh our asses off. And it takes more than being an early adopter to gain respect.

LOL if you actually believe that an upgrade will be out in a year, much less 2 years. I'm betting that the only upgrade we see wont be for 2 and a half to three years from release.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
duffmmann said:
pyrmon24 said:
Net_Bastard said:

LOL if you actually believe that an upgrade will be out in a year, much less 2 years. I'm betting that the only upgrade we see wont be for 2 and a half to three years from release.

Posts merged

pyrmon24 said:
QUOTE(Net_Bastard @ Jan 16 2011, 11:43 PM)

I don't believe that they will release a new one that soon, it was just to take my point across.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pyrmon24 said:
Net_Bastard said:

i highly, highly doubt it would be 1 year for a new revision. my guess would be 2 or 2 and a half.

also, like someone else said earlier, first models generally get more exploits than revisions and they are usually patched in second revisions
smile.gif

but that doesnt matter to. for the 3ds im doing things legit and buying everything. ill be mad if theres no "save to sd", or if there is and you have to have the original cart in the slot. ill be pissed, i dont really want to carry all my carts around.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pyrmon24 said:
duffmmann said:
pyrmon24 said:
Net_Bastard said:

I don't believe that they will release a new one that soon, it was just to take my point across.

... but your point is that if its released in a year, you're going to laugh at early adapters. But then you completely negate your point by saying you don't believe it will be released that soon.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
duffmmann said:
pyrmon24 said:
duffmmann said:
pyrmon24 said:
Net_Bastard said:

... but your point is that if its released in a year, you're going to laugh at early adapters. But then you completely negate your point by saying you don't believe it will be released that soon.
My point is that if a new model comes out(which WILL happen) not too long after the original and it's much better, we will laugh at early adopters. The one year thing was an example. And, who knows? Maybe they will make a new model in a year because of a design flaw.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well, in my opinion, I don't think a 3DS Lite will be out. By looking at the 3DS 'stolen' by the chinese worker compared to the DS Lite, they are about the same size! Lol, imagine a 3DS Lite smaller than a DS Lite. (maybe less thicker and obviously enhanced battery life)

That is just my speculation though
smile.gif

NDSno1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I 'll wait for the Lite or the later version, because of the price, and I'm not very satisfied with some problem of the 3DS right now.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NDSno1 said:
I think I 'll wait for the Lite or the later version, because of the price, and I'm not very satisfied with some problem of the 3DS right now.
Except the Lite will cost more. Poor logic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1