Nintendo 3DS or 3DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Raivex, Oct 31, 2012.

Oct 31, 2012

Nintendo 3DS or 3DS XL by Raivex at 6:41 AM (1,639 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Raivex
    OP

Newcomer Raivex Member

Malaysia
    Hi, I am planning to buy a 3DS at the end of this year, but I am not sure whether to buy 3DS or 3DS XL. So can someone tell me the pros and cons of both for that I need to prepare my budget.

1. I read some thread about the scratch stuff that caused by the bottom screen on 3DS or the roller problem, so are these problem fixed in 3DS XL because of the bumper? And better roller in XL too?

2. As for the resolution of the screen, which one is better at playing NDS's game? 3DS or 3DS XL? As the NDS game is in smaller resolution, will it be pixelated if I am playing on 3DS or 3DS XL?

3. And about the 3DS XL accessories, are the silicon case or multi travel pouch available for sale? Because I want to keep my 3DS in perfect condition, and I won't touch the 3DS XL unless I put on the silicon case pr any other case so that the 3DS XL won't stay naked.

4. Can the hard cover pouch fit in the charger? For either 3DS or 3DS XL, or which other pouch can fit in the charger?

5. For the 3D problem, someone see blur image in 3DS XL but clear image in 3DS, let's assume that it os eyesight focus problem, so if I got the same problem, then should I stuck with 3DS without the need to consider 3DS XL?

6. For the 3DS, I am planning to either get red, blue or black colour. As for 3DS XL, is the silver or white colour available in market? I am quite fond to the white colour but people say it will get dirty easily. But in my point of view, black tends to get dirty easily too, unless the white colour will turns to milky yellow?

Thank you

2. BenRK

Member BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The 3DS does have a problem with the top screen getting scratched over time. And my experience shows that under normal use, so does the XL, though at a considerably slower rate. Regardless which system you get, I recommend getting a screen protector for at least the top screen.

As for DS games on the 3DS, I've never had a problem with it. Some people will complain, but 2D and 3D DS games looked perfectly acceptable for me. You CAN set the DS games to run in 1:1 mode, and if you do this, I recommend the 3DS XL. Running in 1:1 mode will shrink the size of the screen to its original resolution. On the original 3DS, this is quite tiny, but on the 3DS XL, it's close if not exactly the same size as a DS Lite screen.

There are cases and shells and the like for the 3DS XL, a quick search on Amazon reveals that.

Anything you add to the 3DS and XL will make it so it can't fit in the charging cradle (or at the very least make it hard to put in it), however, I have never SEEN the 3DS XL charging cradle, and I know it doesn't come with one. The 3DS does, but like I said...

I had the same issues on the 3DS as I did the XL with ghosting. There is a 3D slider, just keep it to where you are most comfortable.

I believe the silver and white colors are only available in Japan. And before you ask, the 3DS IS region locked for 3DS games for some reason...

3. gtmtnbiker

Member gtmtnbiker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My kids have the 3DS and I find the screens to be too small. I just bought myself the 3DS XL and love it. It's perfect and I love how the stylus is on the right side, not the back side.
    Some people don't mind playing the DS games on the 3DS but others don't care for the filter. You do have the option of playing it in 1:1 mode.

I also enjoyed the DSi XL. Both XL handhelds are really good in my opinion.

4. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I have the 3DS but i really want the 3DS XL, as i own the DSi XL i know how the larger screen size really makes a difference.

So my advice is go with the XL.

5. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    1. Scratching issues shouldn't exist on the 3DS XL due to the addition of bumpers on the top-screen.

2. The 3DS XL is worse, being a larger version of the 3DS's screen and all. 1:1 mode is more playable on the 3DS's XL screen, though.

DS games on 3DS 1:1

[​IMG]

DS games on 3DSXL 1:1

[​IMG]

But if you really want to play DS games the right way, I would get a DSi XL. Both systems make most DS games look horrible because of the difference in resolution.

3. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=silicon+case+3ds+xl

4. I dunno, that depends on which pouch. You got to be more specific.

5. 3D works fine on both systems with the 3DS Xl even providing a better 3D experience with the bigger screen. Either way, you're fine and if you do have some issues, there's a 3D slider for a reason.

North America: Blue+Black, Red+Black
    Europe: Silver+Black, Red+Black, Blue+Black, White (coming late November)

6. VMM

Member VMM Full Hollow Cero

Brazil
    Everything is better on a 3DS XL,
    and the price difference is very small.

If I didn't have a 3DS, I'd buy a 3DS XL in a heartbeat

7. Raivex
    OP

Newcomer Raivex Member

Malaysia
    Then i believe 3DS XL it is.

1. Ya, I will play DS game on 3DS XL, I don't want to buy another console.

2. For the pouch, I just need a pouch or bag that can fit in the 3DS XL and also the charger / adapter. So if 3DS XL didn't come with a adapter, then I will need to buy one.

3. Actually, I need a crystal case instead of silicon case for 3DS XL

4. And there I thought white colour version is only available in Japan or South Korea?

Thank you.

8. RedCoreZero

Banned RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

United States
    For me the XL is too big.Plus if the Nyko Power Grip comes out it'll be worth it to keep the 3ds, but the bigger screen it so attractive!