Ninjhax using Internet browser

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Gettwobirdsstone, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Gettwobirdsstone Triforce Guardian

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    Behind you breathing heavily
    I notice that when you use homebrew channel on Ninjhax, it seems to use the browser everytime. If you look at the daily logs, you'll see that the browser is use everytime cubic ninja is used. I don't have my wifi enabled and it still does this. I tweeted at Smealum, and he said, how peculiar. It's only use for about 1-6 seconds each time. I don't ever use my browser, nor do I use functions in game that upload pics. My question is why does it do this, what does the browser do for ninjhax, and is Smealum playing dumb. Maybe he was hoping someone would pick up on this, maybe he really has no idea why it does it. Illuminati #kernel access #probably nothing at all.

2. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
  3. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    ztoben likes this.
  4. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    This thread doesn't care about "leaving traces" or why it is in the activity log.

This thread is about (1) why it does use the browser and, by extension, (2) what information is attempted to be sent and retrieved.

5. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    Yes, exactly. I'm assuming we won't actually know why till Smealum releases the ninjhax source, as only the hbmenu is the only one out. https://gbatemp.net/threads/ninjhax-source-code.374613/

6. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    Also Smealum knows why it uses the browser, just doesn't want the reason out yet. Most likely as it states in the other post about how Nintendo would patch it really quick then.

7. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    Ninjhax requires that you have wifi enabled and connected to an access point.
    That's what the QR code does actually, it runs a bootstrap exploit and runs a bit of code off the SD card, then it connects to Smealum's site and downloads a little bit more and writes to the Cubic Ninja save data so you needn't do the QR code scanning every time.

So basically chances are the exploit itself or a homebrew you are running make use of the 3DS Browser. As a matter of fact the 3DS Browser is open source.

8. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    Ninjhax uses the browser everytime even after its installed on cubic ninja

9. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Has anyone thought that maybe Smealum didn't want this published for the attention of others at all about the browser and now it has! :O I don't know why people don't think of this before starting threads on his project that could have backlash for it.

10. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    This was inevitable. Even Nintendo could look at the logs and see this. Doesn't tell them how.

11. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Yeah but they may never of known about it until its been revealed publicly and now they can look further into it.

12. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    I'm sure Nintendo seen it first day, the activity log is not really secretive. Some one on here stated that his acekard had shown up in the logs as acekard. plus they don't have the source code, or access to it. So all they would know is it uses the browser in some fashion, but not how.

13. williamcesar2

williamcesar2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    United States
    New York City
    at last the secret is out ! :P

14. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    We have a thread for this, dont make unnecessary posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.