NGP (PSP2) seen playing PS3 ports

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Jan 27, 2011.

Jan 27, 2011
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [​IMG]

The PSP2—or the NGP, as its currently codenamed—may be powerful enough to play PlayStation 3-quality games. At today's coming out party for the next-generation PlayStation Portable, Sony and friends showed just that.

Sony's Shuhei Yoshida likened the power of the next PSP to that of its current home console, the four-year-old PS3. A handful of developers took the stage to illustrate the next-generation PlayStation Portable's power, playing an all-new Uncharted game designed for the new handheld, as well as a few games based on existing PlayStation 3 software.

Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima showed a demonstration of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots running on the PSP2, looking almost as good as its console counterpart. "This game used the model data and environments from PS3, and it was exported directly to NGP," Kojima said, adding "On NGP, we can enjoy the same quality as the PS3."

Sega's Toshihiro Nagoshi also showed off a PSP2 version of Yakuza 4, extolling the ease of reusing PlayStation 3 assets, saying the Yakuza team created its NGP demo in a very short time frame.

Capcom's Jun Takeuchi showed two games running on the PSP2, a copy of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd to illustrate the system's backwards compatibility with downloadable PSP games and a demo version of Lost Planet, which looked close to its PlayStation 3 ancestor.

None of those titles were officially announced as PSP2 games, however. Given the ease of portability between the PS3 and PSP2, we won't be surprised if some of those PlayStation 3 games find their way to Sony's new platform.
    [/p]

Source

Thought this was rather significant use, as it shows the ease of porting PS3 games to the NGP.

On one hand, I'm sure this could just mean a lot of cash-in ports. Odds are they'll be the same as the PS3 versions, but they'll still just be the PS3 versions.

On the other hand, who doesn't want Metal Gear Solid 4 in your handheld? I've still be dying to play it, and seeing as I'll probably be buying this when I have the chance, if they make a MGS4 port, it'll be a day one purchase.

Now all we need is a MGS2 port/remake for handhelds and we can possibly have every MGS game on handhelds (Metal Gear Solid through PSOne classics on the PSP, the MGS2 port/remake I dreamed of, MGS3 on the 3DS, 4 on the NGP, and Peace Walker and Portable Ops on the PSP).

2. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    WTF MGS4????
    omgomgomg
    Must... get on launch.... must get
    *faints*

3. Mr Slug

Newcomer Mr Slug Advanced Member

United States
    yeah i will wait and see first as Phony seem to over hype everything just look at how gfx for PS3 games changed lol anyone say CGI not in game anyone? Phony said yer in game gfx for ps3 anyone remember that.

i do like the look of the psp2 though looks cool not sure how well both nubs will work with the four buttons at same time, looks like righthand nub might get in the way maybe not sure.

if it does live up to what Phony has said then i might buy one depends what games and how much.

Also why cant they put a screen protector as standard on these expensive handheldsnow too.

4. tehnoobshow

Member tehnoobshow GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    holly shit........I am getting a PSP2 on launch.
    I am very very excited.

*jizz in my pant's face*

5. Fireballo

Banned Fireballo Banned

United States
    I'm really glad to see this. I was getting sick of phones having way more power than my handhelds.

6. Zeroneo

Member Zeroneo GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    MGS4 wasn't actually announced yet. Kojima said that he didn't have any plans to port it to NGP yet.

7. mad567

Member mad567 D. Gregar

Greece
    holly shit that's what i call news [​IMG]

If i could resist on buying a 3ds [​IMG]

8. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Yeah, but if its possible, it'd be quite awesome.

9. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    sounds good but sounds expensive at the same time

10. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Kojima said his next game would probably be revealed at E3 2011. If not, most likely TGS 11.

11. Fireballo

Banned Fireballo Banned

United States
    Sounds like some people really want to trash this console but they can't. What can they say? "I hate it. It's the most powerful handheld ever". Doesn't really work dose it? Don't get me wrong I hate Sony but I'm in love the PSP2.

12. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    The only thing that I'm antsy about is the price, and whether or not it will have any games that I'll want.

13. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Aren't they the same thing?

14. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    er sorry, meant revealed at E3 not Tokyo Game Show sorry.

15. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I want to know about the RPG lineup, don't care too much about shooters.

There are several things I want to know about the NGP

-Price of 3G (If it's less than $30 a month, I'm good to go, anymore then I'll get the Wi-Fi only version)

-How this contract will work (If you are able to sign up with a provider outside the PSN, I'm sold, if it's through the PSN then no as I don't have a US PSN and not going to change since all the games I want never see localization)

-Games (Hopefully the launch is better than the 3DS although the lineup after launch for the 3DS is stellar in both the US and Japan)

-Region Free (for games, having their games region free will give Nintendo the finger for their misdeeds, Sony you must continue this trend for physical media in order to beat the 3DS)

16. Sterling

United States
    You know, the funny thing about importers is that they are the minority. However, cases in countries such as Australia where there are separate releases just for them (even though they are an English speaking country that have outrageous prices) it is inexcusable. I have never imported a game from another country for one reason or another. I have certainly pirated a game from another country when the US equivalent was not dumped or was not easily found, but I have never imported physical media. I couldn't care less for region locking. Though I'm sure it's just a temporary one anyways.

17. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Seeing how much better the PSP did in Japan than, well, everywhere else, I wouldn't be surprised if they made the NGP region free. Odds are there'll be a lot of Japanese exclusives for the system, and it'd just be more sensible to make the system region free so they could nab more money from them.

18. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    The PSP being the most powerful handheld didn't help it, in fact it being overpowered stifled creativity and contributed to the poor software library.

19. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    If you think creativity in games relies on gimmicky ways to play games then you simply don't understand the true meaning of innnovation. And the PSP has a perfectly fine software library, people just think it's bad since there's like 4,000+ DS releases (with 3,900 of them probably being not worth buying).

20. Sterling

United States
    NDS [Essentials] There is over a hundred in the first 3 groups (not taking into account that 20 or so of those mentioned are series with other games in it).

PSP [Essentials] 50 - 60 games in all three groups with a few being series games. The PSP has been out just as long [almost!] as the DS, and has received substantial attention on GBAtemp. If there was any indication of how many games worth playing that the DS has compared to the PSP these are them.

Also, the PSP has bad games because it isn't as simple to develop on as the DS. (Trying not to make assumptions here) When a great DS game is made, it's because the Dev learned to make stuff on the DS better.