Next 3DS Console?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by ponygals, Dec 23, 2014.

1. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    Do you think the screen size on the current 3DS XL version, will see an upgrade to get bigger than the XL size on the next console or will that next console be totally different?

I have been wanting to get the XL but part of wants to wait because it's just like any other console. you get the current one now and then the next one comes out and its better then the next one and next one etc.

I'd rather get the latest newest console than one thats old and worn out.

2. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Nope, nothing bigger than the XL.

If you have the wait mindset you'll end up waiting forever, technology gets better every few months or so and new ideas are always in development.

I wanted to get a 3DS XL recently (about 2 months ago) but then found out the New 3DS XL is coming in 2015, my mind is set on waiting for the New 3DS XL because I know it's coming and it's pretty pointless for me to get an old 3DS XL right now (even though I was so tempted with the Black Friday sale).

But if you're set on a something that not even announced, you'll like said above wait forever surely there's going to be a successor to the 3DS and New 3DS but there's highly likely going to be a successor to the successor of the 3DS and New 3DS you follow me...

If you want something and you can afford it get it, don't wait around for something better unless you already know what you're waiting for it going to happen within a waiting time frame that you're comfortable with.

3. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    Well whats going to be different about the NEW 3DS XL?

4. CheatingSoi

CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    The New 3DS XL basically just has a slightly different design and has better hardware making it faster and able to play more games in the future. Honestly, I like the placement of everything on the current XL but this system is still superior.

As for screen sizes getting bigger. They defiantly wont. The XL is already a much bigger screen version that the original. They wouldn't possible make something like an XL x2. Especially because they have already released the New 3DS in Japan and they didn't go any bigger with the screens. I would say if you want the latest and greatest, and the biggest screen you're going to get in a 3DS. Get the new 3DS XL when it comes out. Or just get the current models XL.

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    no there will not be a bigger one.. it doesnt make sence to be bigger...

but i think there will be a New 2DS... or a shitty last time revision like the wii mini just because they can...

6. Nemix77

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Personally I'd like a bigger New 3DS XL myself after seeing the New 3DS standard is bigger than the old 3DS standard but that's not going to happen, Nintendo would have already made and released a bigger New 3DS XL in Japan and Australia if that was case.

I also think it's highly unlikely Nintendo is going to release another revision of the 3DS after the New 3DS since the New 3DS already has upgraded hardware (still technically the same generation handheld console as the 3DS), as migles above pointed out there might be a New 2DS and possibly a New 2DS XL later on but nothing that is going to replace the New 3DS (XL) in terms of hardware and screen size in this generation for Nintendo handhelds.

Nintendo handheld revisions per generation past and present:

GBA.....GBA SP.....GBA SP Backlit.....GB Micro
    DS.....DS Lite.....DSi.....DSi XL
    3DS.....3DS XL.....2DS.....New 3DS/New 3DS XL

From the above chart going by Nintendo revisions per handheld generation I think it's very safe to say there's only the possibility of a New 2DS/XL remaining for this generation. No more hardware upgrades, bigger screen or improved anything for the remainder of the 3DS's lifespan.

7. Omer

Omer GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    Every console has its unique charm.I want to get them all.It's true that DS lite for example can play GBA games but playing the GBA games on its specific console that is supposed to play them is something else, well at least for me.My point is don't wait just get it unless you have financial issues.

8. Crisp Cookie

Crisp Cookie GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2013
    Belgium
  9. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I would love a larger one. Can you imagine a 3DS where the bottom half was essentially the size of the WiiU gamepad? I can. Too bad it won't happen, and even if it did it would be hella expensive. Not to mention it would not be very easy to take with you (not a big deal for me, but I can hear the complaints already).

10. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    Wouldn't this be better?

[​IMG]

11. Nemix77

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I would have been happy with just slight bump from 4.53" on the current 3DS XL top screen to a 4.78" on the New 3DS XL making both New 3DS editions slightly larger than both previous 3DS editions.

12. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    im just so glad they finally moved the start and select buttons, they were horrible on the 3ds , better on the 3ds xl not being under that stupid plastic strip and a big improvement on the new 3ds xl , now when i play older NES SNES games that require select and/or start i dont have to stretch to reach the buttons
    the regular 3ds was the worst with the start select and home button under that plastic strip

CheatingSoi likes this.
  13. CheatingSoi

CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Exactly. I have the original 3DS and they are the most poorly designed buttons. If you can even call them that.