Newest version of skype not working, old ones work

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Cody090909, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Cody090909
    OP

Cody090909 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Here
    Tried, no dice. I am beginning to believe skype is rip.

2. NORBIN

NORBIN Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2016
    Canada
    Neptune
    This is why it's time for everyone to ditch Skype. #DiscordMasterRace

3. Cody090909
    OP

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Here
    If only there were no file limit and sharing screens were possible...

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Can't help with the screen sharing and group chat (both have been iffy for ages for me, and that is before we consider the Linux version).
    What I will say though is in the skype options is the option to choose what audio hardware you use, somewhat aside from the mic options in volume manager and whatever else. Several times across many versions I have had microphones or audio output be something different to what the machine is using (and not just HDMI vs 3.5mm sound card ports).

Equally what about a completely clean install of skype. Uninstall it with revo ( http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html , also available on https://ninite.com/ if you prefer such things) and then install it. Skype has all sorts of legacy settings and configs that the standard uninstall might not get rid off.

One day I might have to look seriously into this discord lark. I mainly write it off as the latest chat fad program (there have been many and this is another proprietary one without the option to hand roll your own server) the kids are using but it has now stuck around a tiny bit longer than some of the others before it.

5. Cody090909
    OP

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Here
    A lot of people are moving to discord now that I know, now that its been out a while. Ill try using that program, although I did wipe Skype's 2 appdata folders and registry before, well see what this program can do, thanks!

6. Cody090909
    OP

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Here
    No success. Oh well. Ill have to put up with discord's flaws.