odinbr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

Still a noob on the Wii, just got it (a GameStop refurb) a couple of hours ago for the kids...

Since I have small kids, I want to backup the games and run them from a HD to avoid scratched/destroyed/lost DVDs.

Seems like I want the homebrew channel and Wiiflow, right?

So, is all I really need to do:

1) Do the softmod using either the Twilight Hack or BannerBomb, and then install BootMii?
My machine is currently on ver 3.4U, should I leave it there or upgrade before?
If upgrade, to what rev is it recommended to upgrade, and how to do it?

2) I assume I need to backup my NAND as soon as the above is done, right? How is that done, does BootMii contain an app to do it? Do I need anything else than what the console came with aside from an SD card?

3) Install WiiFlow, do I also need priiloader? If so, what advantages would I get except for faster boot without the warnings?
Will priiloader totally block Wii updates? If not how do I block updates (do not want the kids to update, or the system do automatic updates from internet or a DVD)?

4) Any other recommendations/homebrew I should run?

Sorry if these are repeats, but I could not find anything specific when searching...

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) Yep, use bannerbomb or TPHack to boot the hackmii installer and install BootMii to boot2 & as an IOS, install the Homebrew channel, and install DVDx (if you want to be able to read DVD's on your Wii). There really isn't any reason to upgrade, unless you want the ability to use an SDHC card or to boot WiiWare and VC from the SD card. (the only updates after 3.4 are 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3. (4.0 enables the SD functionality, 4.1 is bugfixes, and 4.2 & 4.3 only block homebrew)

2) Making a NAND backup isn't really required, but it is a good idea for safety. You can do this with BootMii, and only need an SD card.

3) WiiFlow is good, it is the USB Loader I use. Also, you can use CRAP by WiiCrazy to install game channels straight to the system menu that point to games on a USB device. PriiLoader is great, and yes it has hacks that will entirely disable updates both from discs and online.

4) The one thing that I find missing from this are cIOS's... these are necessary to run backups on a softmodded Wii. Herme's cIOS's will install as IOS 202, 222, 223, and 224 and Waninkoko's will install as 249 and 250. You won't even be able to run WiiFlow or any other USB Loader without these installed.

Like saelee84 said, you can read one of the guides stickied on this forum too. I have used xzxzero's guide multiple times and it will install everything you need (And more, such as GC backup capability) and update your System menu to 4.2. Good Luck.

odinbr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot! Think this sums up all my questions pretty well with additions needed to get me going (I hope)!!

Will return when I have done my hands on or get stuck.

Appreciate the quick responses!

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so u know it is recommended that u use rev17 4 USB Loaders as it's most compatible with all loaders!!

EDIT: After installing the Homebrew Channel make ur NAND backup b4 installing ur Hacks that way if u brick u can just load BootMii (Boot2) and dump ur NAND then start over!! lol

odinbr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, time to go to bed, need to work tomorrow...
frown.gif

Seems to have gone successfully, have not tried the USB loader yet, but everything went in accordance with the guide. Wii is on 4.2 now.
Will have to figure out the USB loader version tomorrow....
Even got wireless configured and running.

Installing WiiFlow, it seems I need a Forwarder DOL for WiiFlow to work with PriiLoader, anyone know where to find that? Or is it personal in some way so that I need to create one somehow?

And yes, I did do a NAND backup after the Hackmii before installing any WADs or restoring Trucha bug, thanks for the tip dn_angel000.

Also, dmonkey21, thanks for the detailed answers, you confirmed a lot of hunches I had.

odinbr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bugaveli said:
WOW! youre Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and you are not very helpful towards anyone in this forum, in a bad mood? (http://snipurl.com/zvo9j)

If you do not like me or other newbies, just ignore us and spare your time as well as ours. You were once a newb yourself, and needed help, was this how you wanted to be treated at that time? Think about that. And no, I do not want you to respond to this, that would just be a waste of your time and mine. Please count to ten and get over it.

So please think about that before responding, or preferably do not respond at all, I do not need to hear you bragging about your googling skills.

It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice!!!

To everyone else that responded constructively, thanks!

bugaveli

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the search! It was great
nope didnt work sorry, guess youll have to use the search

PS: Im helpful to people that have attempted to find the info on their own and need help. Not lazy ppl who want other threads copied n pasted into theirs

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
odinbr said:
bugaveli said:
WOW! youre Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and you are not very helpful towards anyone in this forum, in a bad mood? (http://snipurl.com/zvo9j)

If you do not like me or other newbies, just ignore us and spare your time as well as ours. You were once a newb yourself, and needed help, was this how you wanted to be treated at that time? Think about that. And no, I do not want you to respond to this, that would just be a waste of your time and mine. Please count to ten and get over it.

So please think about that before responding, or preferably do not respond at all, I do not need to hear you bragging about your googling skills.

It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice!!!

To everyone else that responded constructively, thanks!
Glad to see someone can follow instructions, nicely done.

fail, epic, epic fail, IKR, I know right, facepalm, blah blah blah, GOD I HATE THESE FU#*in people. why do they even bother to respond if they are SO PUT OUT by our ignorance ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu