New Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Haveaniceday, Jul 8, 2010.

Jul 8, 2010

New Xbox 360 by Haveaniceday at 11:48 AM (1,132 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Haveaniceday
    OP

Newcomer Haveaniceday Member

United States
    Are you interested in the New model 250GB?
    smaller, less noise and black.

and Which xbox 360 Bundle do you think is the best in the list?

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The Slim models have been getting pretty good reviews. Quieter, improved ventilation, built in WiFi, etc. Plus it comes with a 250GB hard drive.

The FFXIII bundle isn't too bad though. Brand new Xbox, two controllers, headset, FFXIII, and 250GB hard drive for the price of a Slim. Probably a better choice if you don't mind a slightly noisier Xbox and are going to us a wired connection anyway (newer model Xbox's are much better with red rings). Even if you don't care about FFXIII it's still a nice bundle.

What I did was buy a Xbox for about $110 (this came with a controller, cables, and the system, nothing else), bought a Xbox Live starter pack (headset, 20GB hard drive, and headset), and then bought a few games. It's worked pretty well ever since.

As for larger hard drives, I haven't seen much of a point. I wouldn't mind upgrading a bit but 250GB seems unnecessarily large unless you download a lot of crap. The only thing I download really are XBLA games and occasionally a game demo if it's something I really wanted to try (so far that's only been Transformers: WFC and Crackdown 2). And you'll probably delete the demos eventually.

3. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    One nice feature about the new 3Sexy is the Kinect port. All 360s can use the Kinect, but it just so happens that the 3Sexy's built in Kinect Port also supplies power. If you connect Kinect (sigh, i hate the name...) to an old 360, you still need to plug it into an outlet for power... not with the 3Sexy.

And the quiet/wifi thing is really hot too.

I want the new one [​IMG]

EDIT:
    @Guild Well, i would kill for a larger drive. I have a 20gig, and it's almost always full. But then again, i have tons of arcade games and demos that i play(ed) regularly. Not to mention movies and things i'd like to keep on there (The Guild, for instance, as a freebie series that can take up a good chunk of space). However, i think a 60gig would do me well for now, i'd love to not have to think about it.)

Oh and i'd like to install a few disc based games (that i'd play more often).

(they really need to set up some sort of install w/ no disc option... i hate swapping discs. Just a small thing, but it bugs me [​IMG])

4. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I am getting the new slim when it releases July 16th here but it comes down to cheapest place and numerous sources have said Sainsburys does it for £140 but it's like chinese whispers and which source got it from another secondary source :/

Features giving slim advantage over elite:
    250gb
    ready wifi
    ready for kinect no power supply needed
    new chrome button control (looks nicer i suppose)
    touch sensitive buttons
    smaller
    quieter
    better ventilation therefore no RROD
    gloss (preference really)

do these features justify getting the new xbox slim if you already have an xbox with a wifi adapter and large enough hard drive? No in my opinion but since my xbox kicked the bucket the day after E3 microsoft I thought there was no point going for the elite.
    We should accumulate some price sources for USA and UK and other countries in a thread maybe [​IMG]

5. WildWon

United States
    No... It's that there are no red LEDs behind the player lights on the console. There's a red light behind the power button in the middle. So no "red ring." Just a "red dot." (so no RRoD, but RDoD or RDoT will take it's place [​IMG])

And the whole "ventilation" thing was "fixed" 3 times before, and systems stilled RRoD'd.

Now it'll just shut off with a red dot when there's a problem.

(i love my 360, but saying A. the ventilation caused the problem, and B. the new system fixes it are both wrong... this early. We'll have to wait and see... and i'll honestly be surprised it if IS fixed)

6. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Well that part about the no lights to go red is true enough but what I meant was there shouldn't be a need for a RROD anymore if microsoft can't sort out their shit after 5~ years of making the 360s. [​IMG]
    But fair enough if they haven't fixed it then they are digging their own grave basically selling the xbox in the knowledge that in less than a year they will be working on fixing them all again :/

7. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    the larger harddrives are for game installs. original 360s run damn near silent when it doesn't have to read from a disc. i've got a 60GB harddrive and am inches away from dropping $100 for the 120GB

@WildWon: can't think of a way they could possibly come up with a "no disc game install" option. then people would just rent games for $5 and install them

8. WildWon

United States
    Yea... i know. That's why i didn't say "Why haven't they..." or something like that. It's purely wishful thinking. Thats why i stick to mainly XBLA titles rather than full blown games. Yes, i'm that fucking lazy.

Hell, i pirate the hell out of DS games, (since so many are BS that i try out, but that's a different rant), but i REALLY like the idea of having multiple games on one cart. Same for my psp (all parts of my DS stance lol). But not having to swap discs is great. Steam is wonderful like that as well. I haven't pirated a PC game in... i don't know how long. But Steam gets a lot of my monies. I'm looking at buying the Quake pack even though i've owned each game a number of times. Just to not worry about discs any more (for future installs, etc). (if there were a way to prove i already own them, i'd go with that... and i know i can add "non steam games" to the list, but i want a digital backup, ready to go on whatever future system i own)

EDIT: Well... they DO have this option. Their Direct Download games... It's just that i don't want to repay them for games that i already own. But, if i'd have a larger drive (the 250gigger) i'd be purchasing all my games via direct download.

9. westarrr

Member westarrr GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Its really nice..
    You can hardly hear the xbox.
    250 GB good, but i think 180 or 200 is fair enough either..Because i've got 60 GB, and still 20 gigs left.
    WiFi is really excellent, though there is one thing...
    If the xbox is on a higher/lower ground as the internet router(say 1 or 2 floors) the WiFi really weakens.
    Because the WiFi signals go more left or right than they go up and down...
    Not because for example the concrete([​IMG]) or ceilings between the floors
    Atleast thats what I've heard like 4 times by quite diffirent people

10. WildWon

United States
    Well, while the built-in WiFi is a nice feature, i would still run a line so it's hard-wired. I've run into too many wifi hiccups w/ different consoles/computers whilst gaming to depend on WiFi ever again [​IMG]

11. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I'm planning to upgrade as well, as my HD is mostly filled up with demos, XBLA demos, Rock Band songs and game installs. I have 3GB left on my 60GB HDD so I'll probably upgrade when I really do need it, and if there are no major problems reported for at least 6 months.

12. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    big hdd is hella nice, i have a 120gb on the elite i bought right before slim was announced (fkfkfkfkfkfk) and it only has 50gb left, on account of me installing all my games and getting a truckload of demos

13. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    i see no real use of getting it

the new things that come with it dnt appeal to me, only appealing thing is the possible chance that it's rid of RRoD, then i again i dnt use the 360 much to even worry about it.

14. hundshamer

Member hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    IDK I already have a 250GB HDD and wifi n but still hardwire it. Use the n for upstairs 360. Just a suggestion for those wanting to upgrade their HDD there are ways to get a WD sata 2.5 HDD and swap it after a little programming. It cost me $50 USD for my 250GB HDD.