New Wode, two questions :(

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by regnad, Jul 25, 2014.

1. regnad
    OP

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    I just got a new Wode and put it on my 4.3J Wii. As I play around with it, I have some questions:

1) I don't seem to be able to load a PAL GameCube backup on my NTSC Japanese Wii. Is this possible?

2) Although most of my Wii backups work, there are a number that do not. I know the rip is okay because, with the exception of Okami, ALL of these load and run fine using CFG Loader.

Boom Blox Party
    Just Dance 2014
    NSMB Wii
    Okami (Gecko says not Wii/GC game, WF black screen, but worked at some point and I can't remember what I did)
    Pikmin 2 Wii (green screen)
    Rabbits Go Home (freezes at warning screen)
    Rayman Origins
    SMG 1 and 2
    Wii Party

Again let me stress ALL of them except Okami work fine with CFG Loader. Certainly I could unplug the USB from the Wode and plug it in the Wii and load up CFG, but what a pain. Since Wode supposedly has 100% compatibility, I want to figure this out.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. regnad
    OP

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    Okay, I got both Mario Galaxies running by forcing NTSC. Good good!

3. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Wode is meh, I've modded a few wii's for people and one of them gave me a wode kit, saying he bought it for the mod. I tried the wode just for the experience, but it gave me issues with some games, so I took it out and did a softmod instead, and the games I had trouble with seemed to work fine. It seems to me the wode is pointless. Raw softmod seems to work better. I have all of those games on my external and none of them have any problems. I use D2X v8 Final as my primary cIOS, and USB Loader GX as my primary loader, though WiiFlow or CFG would work fine too.

I use Dios Mios for GCN games, and for games with audio streaming I use Devolution, though I had to borrow and buy copies of the streaming games to get those working in devo ofc.

4. regnad
    OP

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    I figured it out. Setting it to force NTSC did the trick for everything except three games:

NSMB -- I made a .bca file as instructed in tutorials, but it's still not working

Okami -- no idea what to do

Kirby Return to Dreamland -- conks out with white screen after title screen

5. Silentsurvivor

Silentsurvivor Banned

Banned
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Wouldn't Metroid Prime Trilogy work fine on an ODE? On USB loaders you have to do that .dol swap thing and you can't access the menu, if I recall correctly

6. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P

I can tell you right now, that using any sort of hardware mod on 4.2 and higher alone will result in Wii imports not loading correctly. Reason being in System Menu 4.2 Nintendo found a way to disable region free capabilities in all hardware mods (ODE's included). This "might" account for some of your issues. You have a couple of different options. Either downgrade your system menu using DOP Mii Wiibrew Edition (safest program to downgrade with, but again, if your doing anything with firmware/system menu/ios's blah blah blah, you should definately do a NAND backup using Bootmii), or if you don't mind using a region free loader everytime you play an import (absolute safest bet) you can use it in conjunction with your ODE to play them.

The most popular region free loader is Gecko more info and a download link can be found here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko You will need to have HBC installed in order to utilize this. Personally, I recommend using the loader option as opposed to messing with your firmware (simply because its much safer). It may be a pain in the butt, but if you don't want to risk ending up with a bricked wii, its your best bet

7. regnad
    OP

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    Thanks for the help!

I guess you didn't read down the thread -- I got absolutely everything working by forcing NTSC, except these three continue to cause me problems:

NSMB -- I made a .bca file as instructed in tutorials, but it's still not working. But supposedly the .bca is the way to go.

Okami -- no idea what to do, but I did somehow get it to work with the WODE once, and then stupidly forgot what I did.

Kirby Return to Dreamland -- conks out with white screen after title screen. Seems like this is a common problem, but not sure how to fix it.